Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Downloop while boosting Big

Postby jeromeL » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:49 pm

lovethepirk wrote:My question is where do you want the kite to be traveling the moment the tail end of your board touches the water??? Do you want the kite still diving slightly downwards(typical of a solid redirect), fairly horizontally, or working it's way back up?
That's a great point from Slappysan, you need to swing under kite when you throw heliloop that way it happens overhead. If you are not swinging under kite it can still work but it won't really have that boucy feeling of a heliloop.

Regarding question, in general if done properly and loop is pretty overhead it doesn't really matter where kite is (in middle loop or after) upon landing. The kite is moving so it creates lift, it s pretty high in window so it will still pull up even if kite is heading down or sideways. You will still land pretty smoothly. I don't really like to land when kite finished loop and is at 12 because 1) your kite needs another redirect else you or kite will stall, it's not as stylish as you kind of stall and can't ride away with speed,
I wouldn't worry too much about it, I would do them early enough so that kite is at least heading down when you land, everything else is bonus and if lucky you can try to go for a second loop or half to just redirect.

Having said that when really powered on my C I have had some issues when loop completed after landing. Even if I am heading straight downwind there will be a big surge in of power and it will pop you right back off the water, that thing has so much power ;)
I need to retreive my gopro footage from my broken computer I have a lot of fail like that from line mount, should be pretty entertaining ;)

It's best to learn them in medium power I guess. On my new C if I mess up timing and loop goes deep in window it will feel like a megaloop even though you are on way down in strong wind it will still slingshot you downwind!

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:07 pm

There's a lot of confusion about the difference between a downloop and a heliloop on this thread. If you get yanked, crash and hurt your ribs that was probably not a downloop, but a heliloop that turned into a powered kiteloop.

Cristiano_Leandro
Medium Poster
Gear: Best TS

Postby Cristiano_Leandro » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:31 pm

[/quote]
That's a great point from Slappysan, you need to swing under kite when you throw heliloop that way it happens overhead. If you are not swinging under kite it can still work but it won't really have that boucy feeling of a heliloop.

[/quote]

This is exactly what i dont feel when i jump, how do i get to swing under the kite? maybe im jumping in a way that doesnt make the kite stall. I cant remember the last time my kite fell (because it was left behind me) when jumping big.

mishwatersports
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Escanaba, Mi
Gladstone, Mi
Favorite Beaches: Van Cleve Park, Gladstone, MI
Ludington Park, Escanaba, MI
Style: Freeride
Gear: Liquid Force WOW for free ride and waves.
Liquid Force Solo for light wind
Liquid Force ENVY for unhooked freestyle
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force

Postby mishwatersports » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:58 am

Downloops can be a bit tricky at first. When I was first learning them I had the same problem where I was getting yanked downwind. This happens if your kite is too powered up and if you loop too slowly making a large loop right through the power zone. As others have mentioned, you really want to wait until you are on the way back down to the water and really commit to the loop turning the bar so its almost parallel with the center lines which will loop the kite very quickly more above your head which will give you less of a downwind yank. You also wont want to sheet the bar in too far, as I'm sure you know the more you sheet in the bar the more power you will feel in the kite. Once you master it, it makes those big jumps feel so much more comfortable knowing you aren't going to get tea bagged in the water.

TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Sidi Kaouki & Gwithian
Style: Powered
Gear: Chrono2, Edges, Parks, Reos,
Surfboards, Nomad/TAD Mutants & Zeeko Hydrofoil
Location: bad food, worse weather, Mary-fucking Poppins. London!

Postby TheRussian » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:29 pm

Oh dear, I tried a downloop off a 14.2m jump (WOO data) and felt like it was going to kill me - I used my normal technique, initiating a very hard downloop on the descent and must have hit a gust, as it felt like i landed at over 30 knots and v hard - no idea what went wrong, but wont be doing that in fully powered conditions again ! Tried a heli loop landing on my highest jump & the landing was again brutal - guessing I was just overpowered (9m on full depower) :o

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile

Postby fdvj » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:57 pm

Ha, was that after Angus went through? I did exactly the same, downloop, lull, drop then mega gust to seeing stars :o Thought I had dislocated my hip

TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Sidi Kaouki & Gwithian
Style: Powered
Gear: Chrono2, Edges, Parks, Reos,
Surfboards, Nomad/TAD Mutants & Zeeko Hydrofoil
Location: bad food, worse weather, Mary-fucking Poppins. London!

Postby TheRussian » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:03 pm

No, bizarrely 17 Nov was windier (on the South Coast) than Angus - the morning of Angus was a bit of a flop - note to self - must do heli loops

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:08 pm

Cristiano_Leandro wrote:

[/quote]

This is exactly what i dont feel when i jump, how do i get to swing under the kite? maybe im jumping in a way that doesnt make the kite stall. I cant remember the last time my kite fell (because it was left behind me) when jumping big.[/quote]

You don't necesseraly have to swing under kite downwind, you can swing under it to the left or right.

Usually for standard jump if i want to do a downloop landing loop, I send kite far back and keep it there until you reach apex, kite is almost at 45 degree back. You will start to swing back toward kite, then you start downloop slowly which will go to 12 and you crank bar a little more.
Other way is that before you reach apex you send kite back forward aggressively and keep it there until you start swinging toward it then back loop it.

When you do a megaloop then you will swing under kite pretty much straight downwind, in that case I loop it left or right depending which direction I am facing, but that's a quick decision, not really have time to think about it..

Cristiano_Leandro
Medium Poster
Gear: Best TS

Postby Cristiano_Leandro » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:07 pm

jeromeL wrote:
Cristiano_Leandro wrote:
This is exactly what i dont feel when i jump, how do i get to swing under the kite? maybe im jumping in a way that doesnt make the kite stall. I cant remember the last time my kite fell (because it was left behind me) when jumping big.[/quote]

You don't necesseraly have to swing under kite downwind, you can swing under it to the left or right.

Usually for standard jump if i want to do a downloop landing loop, I send kite far back and keep it there until you reach apex, kite is almost at 45 degree back. You will start to swing back toward kite, then you start downloop slowly which will go to 12 and you crank bar a little more.
Other way is that before you reach apex you send kite back forward aggressively and keep it there until you start swinging toward it then back loop it.

When you do a megaloop then you will swing under kite pretty much straight downwind, in that case I loop it left or right depending which direction I am facing, but that's a quick decision, not really have time to think about it..[/quote]

thats a perfect explanation, thank you very much.

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / freeride / wave
Gear: Best & Axis

Postby Frank82 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:31 pm

In strong wind you have to make sure the kite is behind you when you initiate the downloop, otherwise there will be quite some pull.

Return to “Kitesurfing”