Style: My style
Gear: Naish torch
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Naish Torch 2017 Problems (No Power)

Postby Octo » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:08 pm

I have been on Torches for years but recently had problems with a 12mtr 2017,
Was out in 20 + knots and was struggling for power when everyone else was nipping about on 9's & 10's

1. I removed the bridle and put it on the king of the air setting..... ahem..... and i was no better off.
2. I then shortened the steering lines which woke the kite up a bit but this is still not a patch on the kites from the previous 2 years.
3. Proceeding this i was advised to shorten the 5th line, i did this and made various lengths shorter and found it best left on its longest option as from factory.

In summary i found the kite lacks low end power completely & on middle of the range power where normally on the torches you could be handle passing or doing sizeable jumps you would merely be mowing the lawn and if you reef the bar in for more power you could pretty much just stall the kite.
When it's really windy the kite works ok but this seems strange when everyone else is on small kites!

Can anyone shed light on this? any constructive suggestions will be appreciated.

LorenzoS
Rare Poster
Style: Big Air/Wakestyle
Gear: 12-10-8 Naish Torch 2016

Re: Naish Torch 2017 Problems (No Power)

Postby LorenzoS » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:14 pm

Hi Octo,

I've been riding Torches since the the beginning and I'll have to agree w/you but it's primarily due to the stock setting this year setting all lines at equal length. On the previous models the back lines have always been shorter by 1/12 inch +/- which is how the Torch likes to be ridden IMO.

Nonetheless I still find it slightly less powerful than its C-sahpe rivals but its higher end is ridiculously higher. I've been out w/ the 10m w/ >30 knots without crying for my mama but instead having so much fun sending it.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:39 pm

Very nice firsts posts everyone.

zloilyoha
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skadovsk
Favorite Beaches: Karzhyny Skadovsk, Cape Town SA
Style: free
Gear: slingshot, ozone, core

Postby zloilyoha » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:05 pm

Kinda set up all sizes for the nuking cptwn winds?

LorenzoS
Rare Poster
Style: Big Air/Wakestyle
Gear: 12-10-8 Naish Torch 2016

Postby LorenzoS » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:17 pm

You're right on Zloiyoha. I don't think I've seen Kevin riding w/ < a 9m Torch in Cap Town when most people are screaming to get out of the water w/ their 7m kites :)

swimmer
Medium Poster
Style: TRICKS
Gear: Liquid Force, Cabrinha, Best

Postby swimmer » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:18 pm

What bar are you using for the kite?? For 2017 naish tuned the torch to a low V bar rather than a high Y in previous years.

I would first recommend checking your lines or trying the kite on a different 5line bar if you have one available. Check you lines even If you are using a new 2017 bar, maybe something is defective and the lines are incorrect length.

The Torch has crazy top end and not so good low end but a 12m in +20knts you should be reasonably powered and the kite shouldn't be stalling.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:36 pm

"I removed the bridle" what tha....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SKYWALKER3D
Rare Poster
Gear: NAISH

Postby SKYWALKER3D » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:20 pm

I must say me and a mate just purchased a set of Torches 12m and 10m and we have found the same as above. The 12m does not do anything untill is hits 18knots (tested on beach with wind meter) then it is ok to 20knots then jumps great on 25knots +. This is our first time on C kites so we just assumed it was normal. I might shorted the back lines a little also see if this helps. The top end of these kites is crazy bottom end is lacking but maybe you cant have both??

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:29 pm

That would seem to me to be all the symptoms of stretched front lines (no low end, backstalling when the bar is pulled in). Are you flying it on the bar that it was intended to fly on or are you using a previous year/brand? Otherwise, I'm guessing my friend Tautologies will be along shortly and be more useful solving your problem.

SKYWALKER3D
Rare Poster
Gear: NAISH

Postby SKYWALKER3D » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:44 pm

SENDIT! wrote:That would seem to me to be all the symptoms of stretched front lines (no low end, backstalling when the bar is pulled in). Are you flying it on the bar that it was intended to fly on or are you using a previous year/brand? Otherwise, I'm guessing my friend Tautologies will be along shortly and be more useful solving your problem.
We are using brand new bars that come with the kite 2017 models. Straight out of the packet. I also found with my ParkHD that the steering lines were to long on my 9m and 7m by shortening them it fixed the kite. Maybe the same with the Torch this year?

Return to “Kitesurfing”