Style: freeride, wave, foil
Gear: all kind
Been thanked: 0

Re: Any new review on the North Click bar

Postby stefarius » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:20 pm

iriejohn wrote:
stefarius wrote:
iriejohn wrote:
If you "rarely use trim strap" then why would you find "it is very good for me" when the main feature of the click bar is to be able to easily and quickly adjust trim, a feature which you would "rarely" use"? :?:
What you don't use is put away in the bar! That makes the bar cleaner.
And that's a "game changer"? You're having a giraffe.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... %20Giraffe
Nope, for me personally I don't see this as a game changer. Innovations are always good and I see this as a good innovation.

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:52 pm

iriejohn wrote:
rogue_kiteboarder wrote:It is super clean and functions as advertised. For myself, I rarely use trim strap while riding so it is very good for me. If you are a rider who is constantly sheeting and trimming the kite while you ride, it is probably not for you.
If you "rarely use trim strap" then why would you find "it is very good for me" when the main feature of the click bar is to be able to easily and quickly adjust trim, a feature which you would "rarely" use"? :?:

The ease of adjustment is not what I think the bar it is about. It is about having a clean bar that wraps up very nicely with nothing "extra" in the way. That is why I like it.

And for easily trimming the lines, nothing beats a clam cleat style trim in my opinion.

In the end, it is as close to a "naked" bar that still has some trim functions available.

Ganggreen
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Britannia beach
Favorite Beaches: Shippigan beaches a great as are all in Exuma
Style: freeride
Gear: cab
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Ganggreen » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:28 am

I have no direct proof but I have heard and I would not be surprised if sand would be very troublesome with this bar......thoughts?

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:40 am

I've watched most of North's 2017 kite vids on YouTube. I find it disconcerting that there isn't one team rider using this bar....

ben 7
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cape Town.
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Tahiti, Paje, Sunshine Coast, Blue Lagoon Dahab
Style: wave
Gear: 7m & 9m Naish Pivot 2017, 2017 North Click bar, 12m Bandit 4, 15m Naish Fly, F-One Mitu. 2011 10m Cabrinha Switchblade & 2011 6m Core GTS.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ben 7 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:08 pm

Hi all -my first post here,

I thought perhaps i had some insight worth sharing - I have had a North Click bar for a few months, I LOVE it, I found it so easy to ride with, (I always found sheeting in / out precisely while riding difficult to get the exact adjustment, now i get it perfect, and am not re-adjusting) Everyone who has used my Click bar loves it... I too was worried about the sand and insides, but figured I'd try it... and after riding with it i decided i was prepared to by a new bar each year if i had to, it was that good. It feels like power steering to me.

And this is something i didn't expect - i have an old 2011 12m F-One Bandit 4 that i hardly ever use and thought i had ought to get a newer 12m as it was a bit of an old slow turning truck (despite still being in great condition) ... with the North Click it is like a brand new kite, easy and fast turning. I have ridden quite a few other kites and bars whilst owning the Click bar (when i swap with friends) and have to say i miss the Click bar every time. I feel my riding improved with the Click bar - I am never getting slapped in the face by a de-power strap either ;) I ride mainly waves and find the clean bar so easy to ride with i now spend more time looking at the waves and enjoying my riding. BUT 2 weeks in I had the bar floaters come unstuck. As i was in Cape Town away from home & I had to re-stick them, i tried using Evo-stick, Superglue and Stormsure, none worked really and i had to use gaffer tape which kept coming off too. To finish off the season i had to tape the floaters to the lines so they didn't slide up, but this meant the power / depower didn't work. Not a perfect solution. But with the floaters sliding up the lines i was getting the lines wrapped around the end of the bar, and shortening the steering lines. This happened once launching in 35 + knots, i should have seen that before i launched, but had never seen that happen before, so wasn't looking there, i do now! I could probably have rigged it with some gardening wire and tape so that the de-power did work in hindsight.

The UK dealer BBR were super helpful and tried to get North to replace / look at my bar, but North sent them new floaters, which i have just been able to try to install today. I had to strip the bar to get the floaters swapped out and the Super glue had stuck the retaining plastic to the bar which took quite a bit of careful cutting and hammering to get off without damaging the bar. I have now replaced the new floaters and seen inside the system...

It is beautifully engineered, and simple, and NO SIGNS OF WEAR, OK it has only had a couple of months of use but that is a couple of days in Tarifa, a few more in Ibiza and then a month of almost everyday in Cape Town, in high wind. Still the internals that I and everyone else were worried about look perfect, like brand new, and i now have faith in the system lasting a few seasons of solid daily use.

The issue i see is the floaters, mine came unstuck from the piece that secures them to the bar and then later broke in half at the flexible joint, i could have just been unlucky with an bad set, the new ones are different (and now don't match my bar, not a major issue, but the blue side is now blue and black), I'll see if this was just a mistake, and they can send out the correct colour, not that i am greatly worried about that and the red is visible on the line coming out of the floater. But the new ones do look like they will break in half again at the flexible joint, so i will order another set as back up.

So the floaters look weak, but the performance of the bar is awesome (IMHO), and the internals look fantastic and def made to last, and this part may sound crazy, when you try the Click and look inside and see what is on this bar compared to a conventional bar, but i think it's incredible value and a standard bar that is ridiculously overpriced.

This feels like "power steering" to me, sure you don't need it, but now everyone inc Formula One has it, its so much more precise and accurate. Having said this, if budget is an issue, you certainly don't 'NEED" a Click Bar... All other bars still work. But the fact that it saved me buying another 12m kite, adjustable "V" means i only need 1 bar for my kites (I know i "should" travel with 2 bars but i usually have to jettison weight somewhere. So i will work out a work around for the floaters if this happens again. I also lost the plastic "Y" adjuster piece.

I hope this was helpful insight, and if anyone is interested in pics of the bar they are here
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1p3lhcsjkh6d ... jDrla?dl=0

FYI - I am riding (new in 2017), 2016 Naish Pivots 7m & 9m, on the Click Bar, previously i was riding 7m & 10m Naish Pivots 2015 (new in 2016) on the Naish Fusion ATB bar (I had a new North Quad bar originally, but the high "V" didn't work with the Naish. I have been riding since 2007 and am an intermediate rider.

Return to “Kitesurfing”