WMFG Pump 2.0T

Forum for kitesurfers
CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Re: WMFG Pump 2.0T

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:45 am

WMFG wrote:...@ OzBungy there are several brands buying pumps from one manufacturer. Each brand can choose the configuration of their pump (hose, nozzles, etc) so there are some differences brand to brand. Re travel pumps, I added a leash and kite hose/nozzles to the SUP pump (smaller diameter) for a customer for travel. It's smaller overall. email me if you're interested in this info@wmfg.co Personally I can't imagine traveling without the full size pump but understand there's demand for something much smaller....
This covers a question I've had as well, wasn't going to bring it up but since Oz already did....

...you guys came out with a great pump a few years back. For years we've had the exact same pump from all manufacturers, and now there was something inproved...finally. Everyone seemed to love it and with manufacturers no longer including the pump in the kit, it was the perfect time for people to start upgrading to a better product. :thumb:

Now, as Oz pointed out, several manufacturers make a pump that looks exactly like yours. (I understand there are subtle option differences) So who owns the patent on this new kite pump design? I had assumed they were all licensing the design from you.

It seems WMFG was first to market, tested the waters, and when the kite manufacturers saw the response they decided to buy the same pump.
BUT, now it's cool to see you guys continuing to offer an improved version. Those old hoses and twist on connectors where the nubs fall off if you twist too hard or use in cold weather...rubbish! (and it looks like this new hose can also be attached to the water spigot for filling water balloons. Genius!) In any case, thanks for the continued kiter specific innovations.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby iriejohn » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:58 am

I think that Bravo pumps are made by Qingdao waterboard industry & trade co., Ltd, Qingdao, Shandong.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:46 pm

I like the screw on nozzle. Neat idea that I haven't seen yet.

I've used the pump, but can't say it matters a lot to me. Fewer strokes needed, but I think it's too high (not that I'm that long, but definitely not short) and funny enough I'm missing some feedback from the pump. And the stiff hose sucks, so the new flexible one is a good decision.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:34 pm

Faxie wrote: Fewer strokes needed, but I think it's too high
Pumping on soft sand beach with an extra tall pump also ( not WMFG ) ...also i don't like that it is high because to put the last 3 PSI to get to 9 the upstroke is tough...the handle needs to go way up
I'm not interested to open up the valve and just pump downward to inflate...( it kind of defeats the purpose of getting the kite pumped quickly )...i want to do full strokes both ways
Here is what i do....i dig a 5 inch deep trench...put the base at bottom of it and cover the pump's feet with sand...then i pump
It makes a big difference for me for comfort and speed...( i'm almost 6ft tall )

BTW many less strokes needed with a 17 sqm 5 struts kite....if you only count the downward pushes it is 64 versus 86...( comparing my new 23.25 high pump vs old 18.75 high pump for 9 PSI )

LiquidXtasy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The beach that's closest to my house.
Favorite Beaches: The ones with sand and water.
Style: 2 Feet on the board, 2 hands on the bar
Gear: I'm not driving right now, but when I drive I always start out in 1st.
Brand Affiliation: Your mom
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby LiquidXtasy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:32 pm

PullStrings wrote:I'm not interested to open up the valve and just pump downward to inflate...( it kind of defeats the purpose of getting the kite pumped quickly )
You realize it only takes a half a second to pull the handle back up again right?

skideeppow
Medium Poster
Local Beach: None, landlocked CO
Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug
Gear: Drifters, 2018 7, 9, Airusdh Ultra 12 2019

Postby skideeppow » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:20 pm

You neede to have a deflate valve on this. For those who travel with compression bags, this pump does not work.

Just a suggestion.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:08 pm

The screw nozzle into the pump was a nightmare with a stiff hose, it could loosen whilst putting other end into kite. Sounds like the hose has been sorted.
I had to go back to a regular pump for a while and I missed the this larger one a lot!
Good news on getting the right hose (by the sound of it)

Faxie wrote:I like the screw on nozzle. Neat idea that I haven't seen yet.

I've used the pump, but can't say it matters a lot to me. Fewer strokes needed, but I think it's too high (not that I'm that long, but definitely not short) and funny enough I'm missing some feedback from the pump. And the stiff hose sucks, so the new flexible one is a good decision.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:56 pm

LiquidXtasy wrote: You realize it only takes a half a second to pull the handle back up again right?
:lol: Who's got time for that... time to unscrew valve..multiplied by who knows how many times handle pull back up pushing no air in kite....then more time to screw valve back on
:D time wasted.... :wink: do you even use a big kite and own a tall pump ?

Interesting fact....did you know that if a pump is 4.5 inches taller...the handle will end up 9 inches higher..( what bothers most people is the full upstroke height required for last 3 PSI)

If pump top of the handle at rest is at 18.75 in. then at maximum upstroke it will reach <<< 31.5 in. high >>>..............travel= 12.75 in.
If pump top of the handle at rest is at 23.25 in. then at maximum upstroke it will reach <<< 40.5 in. high >>>..............travel= 17.25 in

Those are not measurements for a WMFG pump by the way but just my own comparisons with my tall pump and the one i had before

So i split the 9 inch difference ...i countersink the base about 5 in. in the sand ....cover it up...then pump away non-stop
Works for me and may i suggest you give it a try too
You might thank me later for that trick :thumb:

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:33 pm

badgb21 wrote:The screw nozzle into the pump was a nightmare with a stiff hose, it could loosen whilst putting other end into kite. Sounds like the hose has been sorted.
I had to go back to a regular pump for a while and I missed the this larger one a lot!
Good news on getting the right hose (by the sound of it)

Faxie wrote:I like the screw on nozzle. Neat idea that I haven't seen yet.

I meant the part at the kite to keep the nozzle in place :) Didn't know the other side would get loose.

Alysum
Frequent Poster
Gear: a kite

Postby Alysum » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:42 am

I'm interested in this pump but worried it's too high?
Also being so high would make it harder to hide at the beach and therefore more prone to theft. Thoughts?

Return to “Kitesurfing”