Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity

Re: The Truth behind Naish Warranties

Postby mr_daruman » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:19 am

Had a missing pigtail for my new kite, 2 emails and 5 days later its in the mailbox.
Had some questions regarding kite settings (bar through length, 5th line etc..), 1 email and a couple of hours later problem solved.
Needed a new bladder for my damaged kite on a trip, 5 days later arrives in the mail at my location. I can get any spares any time I want.
Completely destroyed a 7m2 while surfing having to release into a sharp rock cliffside. Its ok I have 450 points on my account Ill just get a new one, half price. Oh, and ill be there on time in around a week.

Trades off? Yea the kites feel a little heavy and the bar sucks. But they are build nice and perform great.

SWITCH for you. I will never ever buy a $1500+ kite or any used kites. Unless kite building tech/materials improves incredibly. All kites fly like crap after two seasons of heavy use (including switch), most kites after just a season things go downhill. Good way to sell more stuff.
I WILL buy a $5000 kite if it doesn't cut with scissors, doesn't require a flimsy condom to blow into, doesn't stretch after 5 years, and can change size on the fly adjusting to wind conditions. Smart nano tech fabric maybe?
Last edited by mr_daruman on Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:05 am, edited 4 times in total.

BudhaNl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Pivot 5-7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BudhaNl » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:29 am

andyextreme wrote:Queensland, Australia.
https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consu ... guarantees
The remedies you can seek from the retailer who sold you the product include a repair, replacement, or refund and in some cases compensation for damages and loss.

The retailer can’t refuse to help you by sending you to the manufacturer or importer.
Seems your first action should've been to try & solve this with the retailer. Not quoted above but you also have the option of going directly to the importer/manufacturer, but why did you not take this up with the party who sold it to you?

andyextreme
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: pivot 12m
fuse 9m

Postby andyextreme » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:51 am

..... I did. They said that they would claim for either a replacement kite or a free repair from WINDGENUITY (Naish Australia) They replied back to the shop saying it looked like user error. The shop then turned round and said they can repair it for me at cost price. They've now done that and invoiced me $265. Replacement bladder and new panel replaced in the LE. I feel that if I go to Office of Fair Trading that the shop will dig in and say you must have exposed a previous rip (which is complete rubbish) and ill have a fight on my hands.

Perhaps some bad exposure like this will hurt them much more ? Theyre reading it.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: West Sussex
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:16 am

andyextreme wrote:..... I did. They said that they would claim for either a replacement kite or a free repair from WINDGENUITY (Naish Australia) They replied back to the shop saying it looked like user error. The shop then turned round and said they can repair it for me at cost price. They've now done that and invoiced me $265. Replacement bladder and new panel replaced in the LE. I feel that if I go to Office of Fair Trading that the shop will dig in and say you must have exposed a previous rip (which is complete rubbish) and ill have a fight on my hands.

Perhaps some bad exposure like this will hurt them much more ? Theyre reading it.
You're going through all this for the sake of Aud $ 265 = US $ 200 ??? Jeez.

andyextreme
Rare Poster
fuse 9m

Postby andyextreme » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:20 am

...yeah, wouldn't you think Naish would have just paid up !

However, its not only a money thing, its "kite confidence". what happens next time if im out in deep water and it explodes. Not only that, but Naish obviously do not look after you in the event of a genuine claim and I want to expose that fact.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:58 am

You're in Australia. You have very clear and comprehensive consumer protection laws. The product must be fit for purpose, last a reasonable time, and perform as claimed. It has nothing to do with Naish. You bought the kite from the shop and the shop has to support the product. Go back to the shop and politely but firmly tell them that.

There are only two reasons a leading edge should explode. It's either faulty or you damaged it. It should be almost physically impossible to burst a kite just by pumping it. You would have to deliberately force it to happen.

For our interest you need to post some pictures so we can see what you're talking about. It might be possible to see if we can tell if there was previous damage or not.

PS. It's not a Naish problem. This behaviour is common to the entire outdoor/adventure sports industry. I have some sympathy because they use get a lot of whinging customers )of which you may be one). That sympathy evaporates when they trot out the "It's not our problem. We'll send it to the manufacturer." line.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:01 am

Note this is the distributor being a cock, not the retailer (probably) or the brand itself. This is why I'd rather deal with the HQ directly and let them send word to the locals . . .
OzBungy wrote:You're in Australia. You have very clear and comprehensive consumer protection laws.
Y'all keep saying that, but y'all keep having problems getting those laws working in your favor. I've had experiences trying to get the same laws recognized by a store and been told literally "Don't care, f*** off."

madworld
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Northern California.
Style: Cruising
Gear: Ocean rodeo Prodigy.
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby madworld » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:02 am

BudhaNl wrote:
madworld wrote:Hello, it is my opinion that this original poster should be believed and Naish should repair or replace the kite.

Many years ago myself and 15 others kiters at my local sailing spot all had our leading edges explode in the exact same spot over a few month time.
They where Naish Torchs, the USA distributor blew us off, we were told we kited to much or it was something in the water, until we flamed them on kiteforum, almost a year later after we all switched brands and bought new kites, They warrantied them but told us they did not have any Torches in inventory and gave us Crappy Naish Alliances that they made for just one season and they sucked. We all sold them. Naish lost an entire beach that summer. We all have been riding Ocean Rodeo ever since.

I see you're affiliated with Ocean Rodeo, I'm sure they'll be thrilled to see you slag off another brand.

In the united states, we are unfamiliar with the slang term :slag off"

But let me be clear, f*** off.

Naish fucked us and Ocean Rodeo has been showing the love to the entire beach, not just me.

andyextreme
Rare Poster
fuse 9m

Postby andyextreme » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:18 am

Kamikuza wrote:Note this is the distributor being a cock, not the retailer (probably) or the brand itself. This is why I'd rather deal with the HQ directly and let them send word to the locals . . .
OzBungy wrote:You're in Australia. You have very clear and comprehensive consumer protection laws.
Y'all keep saying that, but y'all keep having problems getting those laws working in your favor. I've had experiences trying to get the same laws recognized by a store and been told literally "Don't care, f*** off."
Absolutely !! Couldn't agree with OzBungy more !! Well said.

andyextreme
Rare Poster
fuse 9m

Postby andyextreme » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:21 am

One other detail I think is worth mentioning, Naish Australia (Windgenuity) are in bed with my local shop. They are 50/50 part owners.

Return to “Kitesurfing”