Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ride Engine Harness Webbing strap wear?

Postby C Johnson » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:15 pm

So I just got a new ride engine hexcore harness for Christmas with the plan of putting the Cabrinha Fireball spreaderbar on it. There are numerous videos online that demonstrate how to do this. Install the spreader bar was no problem but in the process I was disappointed to see that the webbing straps on the ride engine harness are permanently sewn on. In addition, the webbing straps are tiny compared to what I have seen on previous harnesses I've owned from Mystic, NP and Dakine.

So the questions I have are:

1. Has anyone had problems with straps wearing quickly with either the fireball bar specifically or with any other spreader bar that requires you to remove the protective tubing that normally covers the webbing straps on the ride engine harness? I'm hoping to get at least 1 full season out of this harness but ideally 2+ seasons but currently it seems like the straps would wear out about half way through the first season based off of how I've seen straps wear on other harnesses.

2. Since the straps are so small, has anyone had a strap fail (regardless of wear) on a ride engine harness? If so can you explain what happened? I'm 220lbs and I like to ride powered and do the occasional kite loops so I have some concerns about how robust this setup is going to be.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Re: Ride Engine Harness Webbing strap wear?

Postby POACHER » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:42 am

Yeah I'm curious about the single strap system too. It seems to be an under spec'ed part of the harness. Maybe not but relying on a small nylon strap and a plastic ladder lock buckle makes me a bit dubious....
It must be OK, I see the new 2.0 harnesses have the same buckle system.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Robsw6 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:01 pm

Had mine since April & no signs of wear - looks as good as new.

I was dubious about the size of the single strap and that it is secured by a single plastic buckle - but mine has been used in extremely powered conditions & has been fine - so although there's x1 tensioning strap, because the load is taken by the spreader & it's x4 straps, it works. If it was weak, mine would have broken/started wearing way back

HNY!

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:43 pm

I have used the Ride Engine with the Fireball this summer. I saw no extra wear on the webbing strap. Granted it was only about 20 hrs use with a foil board and surfboard. Ultimately , I switched it back to the Ride Engine carbon rope slider. While I really like the Fireball system(still use it on my Dakine C1) I preferred the rope when using the surfboard. The main reason I switched the Ride Engine to Fireball was using it on the Dakine C1. IMO, Fireball really made the C1 a noticeably better harness. So I thought try it on the RE, not so much. One thing I notice about the Fireball is the bar is heavy compared to the Carbon rope slider.
Returning the Ride Engine back to stock with the tubing is not that difficult if you find you ever want to change from the fireball.

Return to “Kitesurfing”