Aruba January

Forum for kitesurfers
keegster17
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 175lbs
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Style: Free ride big air
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Aruba January

Postby keegster17 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:59 pm

Has Anyone kited in Aruba as of late? I have read older posts, and a little concerned about the offshore winds. I was in Turks last year, and it was amazing, but it is expensive, and nightlife is a little quiet. Looking to take the girlfriend for a week, so looking for some general info. I Thought about Cayo Guillermo, where many Canadians go, but not much of a fan of all-inclusive, and being stuck at resort.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Re: Aruba January

Postby jeromeL » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:24 pm

Going there end of Jan, hope it will be good. Planning to stay at Fishermen Huts, I don't mind gusty offshore and don't really want to drive to Boca Grande since I will be hanging out with the wife.

Friends who have been there last year were saying that offshore in Fisherman huts is not really an issue if you go play around the reef and if wind is strong enough. Some people will ride only at Boca Grandi.

One of my friend just went there last week and kited mostly at Boca grande, he said it was pretty good. Overall forecast showed 20 knots every day but he said it was more like 16 knots. Another friend stayed only for teh weekend and got skunked at the huts.

Usually you can ride at Fisherman huts but locals were saying something about weak la nina screwing thing up...

keegster17
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board

Postby keegster17 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:04 am

Thanks JeromeL for the info. I have not booked yet, but I would like to hear from others and their thoughts. I also read in older posts that fishermans hut you can't kite thru the day, not sure that applied years ago.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.

Postby jeromeL » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:16 am

keegster17 wrote:Thanks JeromeL for the info. I have not booked yet, but I would like to hear from others and their thoughts. I also read in older posts that fishermans hut you can't kite thru the day, not sure that applied years ago.
I'm pretty sure that's an old rule. My friend went in 2014 and could kite all day.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:38 am

Historically it looks pretty solid, according to chart 70% of days in Jan are plus 20.

I have a buddy with a time share there and he loves it. Last April he had 9 strait days plus 20. Is it the best place? no, but its good and perfect with the Fam.

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.i ... +Yesterday

mkNY
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Tobay Beach, Oak Beach, Gilgo Beach
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne - Mauritius, Kite Beach - DR, Silver Sands - Barbados, Cape Hatteras - NC, Long Bay Beach - T&C
Style: Freeride\BigAir
Gear: 2020 Duotone Rebel 7/9/12
Shinn Bronq
Ride Engine
Woooooo

Postby mkNY » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:04 pm

I went there last summer for a week. Stayed at Boca and kited on a 9M, 5 out of 6 days. To be honest my expectations were higher for the location. Don't think I will be back unless I'm desperate for wind.
Boca is really the only reasonable spot to kite, but it's really small, choppy, and gets crowded' fast. Also it's in the middle of nowhere with no shade and no restaurants or stores that even sell water anywhere close by. If you don't stay nearby it's a solid 45min drive from the main tourist area on north west side of the island.

Fisherman huts while visually beautiful is not really a serious kite spot. Wind is completely offshore and comes across the island so it's super gusty, which totally ruins the fun of kiting. We are talking 20knts to 5knts shadows. Yes you can go about a mile out to get clean wind in nice flat waters but good luck getting back at the end of your session when you are tired and don't feel like tacking back upwind for 1 hour. You also can't stop mid session to take a break if you are a mile away.

What can't be argued with though is the wind guarantee, which unlike any other spot is pretty awesome.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:15 pm

I agree with mkNY on all points. Forget the huts. Boca is the spot. Gets crowded quickly. Probably can support only 15 kiters. I only recommend Aruba to those who want as close to 100% wind guarantee as you can get in the Caribbean. Otherwise, there are islands with a better setup for flat water, chop, and waves.

keegster17
Frequent Poster

Postby keegster17 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:21 pm

Well.... I am booked for next week, so we shall see how it goes. I will have a rental car, so I can drive to where ever is best to kite. I did learn you need to book a car quick this time of year.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.

Postby jeromeL » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:42 am

keegster17 wrote:Well.... I am booked for next week, so we shall see how it goes. I will have a rental car, so I can drive to where ever is best to kite. I did learn you need to book a car quick this time of year.
You scared me, price did raise quite a lot but after clearing cookies in browser or opening incognito window in chrome price came back down ;)

keegster17
Frequent Poster

Postby keegster17 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:34 am

Is that true if you don't clear history these sites know how many times you have viewed and prices increase? I noticed this with Air Bnb, price would fluctuate within a hour.

Return to “Kitesurfing”