Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Aerodynamically better leading edge

forum for kitesurfers


grigorib
Frequent Poster
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; OBX; SPI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 7m/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m/15m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m, Best Kahoona 11.5m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Spleene Door 59, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, MHL Lift 2013, Slingshot Ghost Whisper 42"/545/328, Moses 71cm/548/325, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 42", Slingshot Coupe 6', Ocean Rodeo Mako 135, MBS Comp 95x
Brand Affiliation: None

Aerodynamically better leading edge

Postby grigorib » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:00 pm

Did anyone ever built a two-chamber, two-bladder, oval-shaped leading edge so it has less drag and is more aerodynamic?
I meant an internal rib in the middle throughout the LE and bladder in each chamber. It will be thin but will weigh a lot and probably won't deliver rigidity of a fat LE.

What if we go for cuben fiber and have a high pressure LE bladder?? That way all current kites will become obsolete already!! Won't it be the best solution??!!

User avatar
lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 513
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 7:04 am
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Boosting lit up and overpowered
Gear: 16m NRG, 14m NRG, 12m Switchblade, 10m NRG, 145x43 Tronic, 160x41 Glide, Delta Race Hydrofoil w/ Slingshot Space Pickle Board
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Naples, FL

Re: Aerodynamically better leading edge

Postby lovethepirk » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:17 pm

Can't comment on your ideas...but I've always wondered about a swimming noodle stuffed inside the leading edge with tapered ends :o :o :o

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 907
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:54 pm
Gear: what works for the day

Re: Aerodynamically better leading edge

Postby PullStrings » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:28 pm

Image

User avatar
lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 513
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 7:04 am
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Boosting lit up and overpowered
Gear: 16m NRG, 14m NRG, 12m Switchblade, 10m NRG, 145x43 Tronic, 160x41 Glide, Delta Race Hydrofoil w/ Slingshot Space Pickle Board
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Naples, FL

Re: Aerodynamically better leading edge

Postby lovethepirk » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:49 pm

Come on PullStrings why you gotta cut my legs off like that? :) Imagine a curved, hollow, formed noodle :o easily slipped into the LE. It would work, but I haven't worked the math on the weight :)

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 8132
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark

Re: Aerodynamically better leading edge

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:06 am

Yes, North did in in 2002 or 3 as far as I I remember, an oval two chambered front tube :D
But left it again.

I can not see many advantages, as if you decrease the diameter ever so slight, the double tube added stiffness with two tubes will quickly be "lost".

Meaning, stiffness is proportional to diameter cubed, so if you have the double stifness from two tubes, you can only decrease the diameter about 20% instead of 50%, so the gain is small compared to all the other disadvantages :roll:
But hats off that they tried it :hut:

8) Peter

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 778
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: West Sussex
Gear: this 'n that
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: South coast, UK

Re: Aerodynamically better leading edge

Postby iriejohn » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:20 am

The LE diameter could be left the same to maintain rigidity but the LE front and trailing edges could be profiled into more aerodynamic shapes to reduce drag. Don't know how though, maybe internal ribs in the LE bladders?

grigorib
Frequent Poster
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; OBX; SPI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 7m/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m/15m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m, Best Kahoona 11.5m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Spleene Door 59, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, MHL Lift 2013, Slingshot Ghost Whisper 42"/545/328, Moses 71cm/548/325, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 42", Slingshot Coupe 6', Ocean Rodeo Mako 135, MBS Comp 95x
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Aerodynamically better leading edge

Postby grigorib » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:25 am

iriejohn wrote:The LE diameter could be left the same to maintain rigidity but the LE front and trailing edges could be profiled into more aerodynamic shapes to reduce drag. Don't know how though, maybe internal ribs in the LE bladders?
Let's say the front remains as is but if there's a second layer of ripstop from LE to main sail making it a drop-shape?

Doesn't need to be too wide, let's say 1.5x diameter of LE wide

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 778
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: West Sussex
Gear: this 'n that
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: South coast, UK

Re: Aerodynamically better leading edge

Postby iriejohn » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:00 am

grigorib wrote:
iriejohn wrote:The LE diameter could be left the same to maintain rigidity but the LE front and trailing edges could be profiled into more aerodynamic shapes to reduce drag. Don't know how though, maybe internal ribs in the LE bladders?
Let's say the front remains as is but if there's a second layer of ripstop from LE to main sail making it a drop-shape?

Doesn't need to be too wide, let's say 1.5x diameter of LE wide
As long as it doesn't fill up with water when you crash.

grigorib
Frequent Poster
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; OBX; SPI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 7m/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m/15m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m, Best Kahoona 11.5m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Spleene Door 59, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, MHL Lift 2013, Slingshot Ghost Whisper 42"/545/328, Moses 71cm/548/325, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 42", Slingshot Coupe 6', Ocean Rodeo Mako 135, MBS Comp 95x
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Aerodynamically better leading edge

Postby grigorib » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:09 am

iriejohn wrote:
grigorib wrote:
iriejohn wrote:The LE diameter could be left the same to maintain rigidity but the LE front and trailing edges could be profiled into more aerodynamic shapes to reduce drag. Don't know how though, maybe internal ribs in the LE bladders?
Let's say the front remains as is but if there's a second layer of ripstop from LE to main sail making it a drop-shape?

Doesn't need to be too wide, let's say 1.5x diameter of LE wide
As long as it doesn't fill up with water when you crash.
It doesn't have to cover all length of the LE. It might be enough to have it span (and it can be stretchy material, not necessarily ripstop) between struts leaving couple of inches of gap on each side. Or maybe only have it on the eartips which don't produce less pull but plenty drag.

Did anyone tried this?

User avatar
Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 953
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:50 pm
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Wave/Freeride
Gear: Ozone Edge 19m
North Evo 14m
North Rebel 12m
North Rebel 9m
North Rebel 7m
North Nugget 5'5" Surfboard
North WAM 6'2" Surfboard
North Whip 5'6" surfboard
North SkyPro 138cm TT
Underground FLX 144 TT
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia

Re: Aerodynamically better leading edge

Postby Puetz » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:15 am

Peter_Frank wrote:Yes, North did in in 2002 or 3 as far as I I remember, an oval two chambered front tube :D
But left it again.

I can not see many advantages, as if you decrease the diameter ever so slight, the double tube added stiffness with two tubes will quickly be "lost".

Meaning, stiffness is proportional to diameter cubed, so if you have the double stifness from two tubes, you can only decrease the diameter about 20% instead of 50%, so the gain is small compared to all the other disadvantages :roll:
But hats off that they tried it :hut:

8) Peter
... nah it was Gaastra that made the double chamber LE, not North,,,, Gaastra Phoenix.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], ChickenD!ken and 19 guests

cron