forum for kitesurfers

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Brand Affiliation: None

Brunotti Smart shell harness?

Postby Ludmil » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:24 am

Hi all,
I am looking for a freestyle and wave harness to replace my old Dakine's Renegade and to jump on the hard shell trend wagon.
My top of the list are C1,RE, probably ION HPro but also these are premium priced...
Recently spoke with the local shop owner about Brunotti's harnesses and I became curious about it...
It's marketed as hard shell but looks thin w/o much of a padding.
He hasn't got it in stock, but I can order one.
Does anyone tried it?
What's your feedback?

Regards,
L.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Ozone, Axis, Moses, Zeeko, Firewire, SBS
Brand Affiliation: Foiling Basics, The Boardroom Fuerteventura, Ozone, Axiskiteboarding,Schwerelosigkite, Triggernaut,

Re: Brunotti Smart shell harness?

Postby gmb13 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:49 pm

Hi Ludmil.

I sell them in my shop. They are super comfortable and combine the locked in fit of a Ride-Engine with the comfort of a soft harness. What is really nice is the hold down straps and the way the pad gets stuck into the harness. The hook does not move.

It is not as hard or light as a Ride Engine, so if you are looking for the maximum stiffness and lightness, the Brunotti might not work for you. But it is probably the most comfortable of the bunch.

--
Gunnar

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:47 pm

Thanks Gunnar!

Sounds interesting.
Actually,this is what I am looking for...
If it's stiffer than my Renegade which pinches, and thus creating pressure points here and there should be perfect. Softness also has its positives though... :) .
I hope that Brunotti's does not fold in the middle?
Yeah,the locking system looks nice, same as Prolimit one, wich I am familiar with...

L.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Elf Joker-7 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:10 pm

gmb13 wrote:Hi Ludmil.

I sell them in my shop. They are super comfortable and combine the locked in fit of a Ride-Engine with the comfort of a soft harness. What is really nice is the hold down straps and the way the pad gets stuck into the harness. The hook does not move.

It is not as hard or light as a Ride Engine, so if you are looking for the maximum stiffness and lightness, the Brunotti might not work for you. But it is probably the most comfortable of the bunch.

--
Gunnar
Gunnar have you ridden the framed seat version with racing gear? Looks cool and different, thinking about a new harness for the spring.

harppa
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Epic spots of the northshores of Finland
Gear: Best TS, Roca, Kahoona
Brand Affiliation: Running a school and importing Best, ION, Peter Lynn, Brunotti, Nobile, SP-United and CTRL Wake.

Postby harppa » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:41 am

I have been riding (also sell these) Smartshell for about a year now and they are very, very comfy. I also sold RE and noticed that when ever I went kiting and had both harnesses in my van I took the smartshell.
It is not as hard as RE but hard enough. The "wings" of the spreader pad goes into the sides of the harness to make it more rigid.
In in terms of staying in place this is by far the best one I have used. Even when it is not supertight it stays put.
We also sell ION but havent had the time to test their new Hadlow promodel.

Trigen
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Trondheim - Norway
Favorite Beaches: Only ever been to Hua Hin. Hoping for Hawaii Brazil and South africa
Style: Powered! Freestyle, Wake, Big air
Gear: Core GTS 4 12m 9m 7m
Core GTS3 17m LW

Wainman Joke 138 Boots
Cf Raptor LTD 132 Straps

Postby Trigen » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:48 am

Gonna give this one a try, tested the Dakine C1 2016 but found it gets very uncomfortable when the hard part of the sides really squish my ribs in when riding. Way more than my normal harness. Hope the Smartshell will solve this. If not the RE is the next step.

Trigen
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Only ever been to Hua Hin. Hoping for Hawaii Brazil and South africa
Core GTS3 17m LW

Wainman Joke 138 Boots
Cf Raptor LTD 132 Straps

Postby Trigen » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:18 pm

I just noticed the sizing is a bit odd on these, M and L is the same. so 30 to 34" Thats a pretty large range. Im 31.5ish bare skin and 33ish with drysuit etc so that could be a good thing but unsure on that. Whats the deal?

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:19 pm

Trigen wrote:Gonna give this one a try, tested the Dakine C1 2016 but found it gets very uncomfortable when the hard part of the sides really squish my ribs in when riding. Way more than my normal harness. Hope the Smartshell will solve this. If not the RE is the next step.
So do I.
The one I ordered is supposed to be delivered next week...
I'm little worried will it fit, as I placed an order without trying it...
We'll see.
L.

Trigen
Rare Poster
Core GTS3 17m LW

Wainman Joke 138 Boots
Cf Raptor LTD 132 Straps

Postby Trigen » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:36 am

Got the harness and it seems like a good one. Sadly the size chart on it is not correct. My M-L harness says 30-34" but its really 32-37.8" or 82-96cm like it says on the harness. Me being 31" before food and 32" later in the day its just a little to big. They need to stick the the standard on their charts! 32" Mediums is the norm as far as i know but you go with what is listed so. A great shame i loved the wing system! If you tighten it down the hook will stay down. Ill be ordering up the RE in S and if i can get a new Brunotti without any shipping costs ill give it another try

Im guessing these are the correct sizes. Some sites has it correct as stated on the harness. Sadly i didnt know about it beforehand

SIZES XS-S (68-82CM) / M-L (82-96CM) / XL (96-110+)

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:49 pm

The M seems to fit me well.
I have had M's from various brands and this one looks the same...
I was expecting more though.
It is not exactly hard shell,but too hard for such high back harness (??), less preshaped than expected, all of this combined to feel it digs below my shoulder blades and lower back.
Looks nice,but no knife, no ring or anything like that, to attach the leash infront or sideway...

Return to “Kitesurfing”