forum for kitesurfers

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1900
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Re: Brunotti Smart shell harness?

Postby NorCalNomad » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:48 pm

It's nothing like the Ride Engine harnesses.

RE = hard Brunotti = soft

Not say Ion Madtrixx soft but no where close to a shell like the Dakine C1, Ion Team Series Wave, or the new North Stylers. The RE are great if it fits your back (can't wait for the custom builds to be available again).

Trigen
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Trondheim - Norway
Favorite Beaches: Only ever been to Hua Hin. Hoping for Hawaii Brazil and South africa
Style: Powered! Freestyle, Wake, Big air
Gear: Core GTS 4 12m 9m 7m
Core GTS3 17m LW

Wainman Joke 138 Boots
Cf Raptor LTD 132 Straps
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Trigen » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:09 pm

Ludmil wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:49 pm
The M seems to fit me well.
I have had M's from various brands and this one looks the same...
I was expecting more though.
It is not exactly hard shell,but too hard for such high back harness (??), less preshaped than expected, all of this combined to feel it digs below my shoulder blades and lower back.
Looks nice,but no knife, no ring or anything like that, to attach the leash infront or sideway...
Thats my thoughts too. Its quite large height wise for a reasonably stiff back. Some use should break it in though. There's a webbing loop on the right side you stick you leash on. The one you can pull to help lock the harness.

Im getting the changed XS-S at no cost so i hope thats a much better fit. Sadly my RE wont be here for at least 3 weeks due to back order and sellouts everywhere and even people on vacation. Keep a store with both employees on vacation for weeks isnt the best. So, thats quite a gamble if i should return the brunotti or not if its not a perfect fit in S. If the stiff back on the RE dont fit im in trouble.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Postby Ludmil » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:06 am

Yeah, but I am not expecting to break that much, to the point of change the design... And if it does it's not going to be hard shell anymore. ;) .
I figured out how to attach the leash, a ring from the marine shop will do the job, but that's not the point.
Looking forward for the local shop to receive first batch of the new Dakine's C1, or I'll speak with the guy who sold me this one, as he sells ION and Mystic as well.
L.

Trigen
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Only ever been to Hua Hin. Hoping for Hawaii Brazil and South africa
Core GTS3 17m LW

Wainman Joke 138 Boots
Cf Raptor LTD 132 Straps

Postby Trigen » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:21 am

Ludmil wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:06 am
Yeah, but I am not expecting to break that much, to the point of change the design... And if it does it's not going to be hard shell anymore. ;) .
I figured out how to attach the leash, a ring from the marine shop will do the job, but that's not the point.
Looking forward for the local shop to receive first batch of the new Dakine's C1, or I'll speak with the guy who sold me this one, as he sells ION and Mystic as well.
L.
Just offering some solutions ;) Anyway hope you will get the perfect one for you, The C1 was great. It came with a knife and pockets + rings so it has all you want! If it wasnt for the crushing rib side pinch from the hard stuff on me i would have kept it. Make sure you twist to your side a lot on the rope if you test it in the shop and hold it there, those hard but moving sides can be a killer! Dont really see the point of them as the put the squeeze on you like a soft one would but now with rock hard materials instead, though under a bit of padding. I still have pulsating pains from them and its over a week ago. Thats my experience with it but everyone is different!

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:15 am

Thanks for the advices​.
I was saying that the leash attachment is not a deal breaker...
This one I ordered w/o trying...
L.

Trigen
Rare Poster
Core GTS3 17m LW

Wainman Joke 138 Boots
Cf Raptor LTD 132 Straps

Postby Trigen » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:15 pm

A note on these since they come in somewhat odd sizes. Im ranging 31-33" depending on time of day. The M-L is to large and you cant get it properly tight and the XS-S is to small and the webbing is hard to crank properly as its just to short and i couldnt get a proper grip on them. A small detail but annoying. The wings are also not very far in on the Xs-s. If you are right in between sizes on these you could get a bit of trouble.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:39 pm

Hi,
After testing Ion AH model I decided to keep this Brunotti harness... :)
Few sessions, and the Smartshell felt really comfy.
I am taking my words back.
L.

ChickenD!ken
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Copenhagen
Favorite Beaches: Thy (Denmark) and Dhakla (Morocco)
Style: Freeride/Freestyle/Jedi Wannabe
Gear: XR5 & Fusion 3
Brand Affiliation: CORE, ION, Brunotti, Gul, SurfEars and always looking to demo..

Postby ChickenD!ken » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:44 am

Bought a SmartShell 3 months ago and zero regrets from me. Not cool that Brunotti try to pass it off as a hard shell (don’t let the “smart shell” bit fool you, it is NOT a hard shell) but man oh man is it comfortable. I’m 191cm (6’3) and know how important core strength is especially for a sport like kiteboarding. Provides excellent lumbar support and the spreader bar setup is solid. Tucks in really nicely with the rest of the harness and stays locked in. Closest I’ve ever come to feeling like a harness with a glove-like fit. Also a very light harness with no bells and whistles or extra stuff you don’t need. Would have been nice with a better solution for tucking away the straps, but no big deal. I might DIY them and take a few cm off the extra length. Thumbs up on this one from me anyways.

Return to “Kitesurfing”