Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why doesn't everybody side rig their lines in launch position?

Forum for kitesurfers
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why doesn't everybody side rig their lines in launch position?

Postby iriejohn » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:39 pm

Peter_Frank wrote: It is simply a VERY very bad habit that many has gotten - rigging down/upwind :(
Habits can be difficult to change, no matter how bad they are - so many die from smoking, eventhough they know it is the worst thing they can do, they dont change :cry:

8) Peter
I know what we need, it's an EU regulation from Brussels to tell us that we must side-rig our kites! Yep, that'll fix it! :lol:

Sorry Peter, you rig for the conditions on the beach you're on - there is not any one right way. :roll:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:17 pm

iriejohn wrote: I know what we need! It's an EU regulation from Brussels to tell us that we must side-rig our kites. Yep, that'll fix it! :lol:

Sorry Peter, you rig for the conditions on the beach you're on - there is not any one right way. :roll:
So you say you also shit on all others and still rig down/upwind when crowded and space ?

Which is what this (Plummets) thread is about.

You rig for the conditions yes, we all know and do that - but this thread was with the given that you got sufficient space for rigging sideways, but still opt to rig in your own "ego" way, thus being a pain in the ass for everybody coming in or starting or starting to rig :x

Can you give me an example where rigging sideways would not be the best option, when sufficient space and other kites around ?

This thread seems to be more and more important, since it goes wrong so often and so many do it their own way, and dont care (or dont know ?) that they get in the way for all the other kitesurfers :roll:

It seems like many are trying to defend their bad habits by saying "you rig for the conditions", when it might really mean they wont change a thing and still be a nuisance for everybody else very often :(

You should rig for the conditions so often alternative angles are used, yes we all agree, but if space allows, only sideways will not disturb other kitesurfers :thumb:

8) Peter

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:30 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
iriejohn wrote: I know what we need! It's an EU regulation from Brussels to tell us that we must side-rig our kites. Yep, that'll fix it! :lol:

So you say you also shit on all others and still rig down/upwind when crowded and space ?

Which is what this (Plummets) thread is about.

You rig for the conditions yes, we all know and do that - but this thread was with the given that you got sufficient space for rigging sideways, but still opt to rig in your own "ego" way, thus being a pain in the ass for everybody coming in or starting or starting to rig :x

Can you give me an example where rigging sideways would not be the best option, when sufficient space and other kites around ?

This thread seems to be more and more important, since it goes wrong so often and so many do it their own way, and dont care (or dont know ?) that they get in the way for all the other kitesurfers :roll:

It seems like many are trying to defend their bad habits by saying "you rig for the conditions", when it might really mean they wont change a thing and still be a nuisance for everybody else very often :(

You should rig for the conditions so often alternative angles are used, yes we all agree, but if space allows, only sideways will not disturb other kitesurfers :thumb:

8) Peter
What is it about ...
you rig for the conditions on the beach you're on - there is not any one right way.
... that you do not understand?

alkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Whatever works

Postby alkiter » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:56 pm

It's 2017. Can't believe people still walk their lines! Haven't done that in over 3 years.
https://youtu.be/9_FxYkg1vZc

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:22 pm

ozonelevel wrote:It's 2017. Can't believe people still walk their lines! Haven't done that in over 3 years.
Ok, so I'm still wet behind the ears but that looks well complicated!

In the time that guys messed about one handedly tying lines while not letting the other ones go I could have unwrapped my standardly wrapped lines walked them and been happy they are cool. Maybe I'm missing something though.

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity
Has thanked: 0

Postby mr_daruman » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:38 pm

After landing to take a brake you don't slide your bar back upwind lol.
You wind-up your lines a little to keep things clean around your area and later launch again from the side. right?
Also guys rigging upwind how do you self launch? Seems pretty dangerous.
Do whatever feels rights but I think side rigging is a lot safer than anything else, and as mentioned makes it easier when in crowded areas.

I think its that FLIP THE BAR thing people have a hard time getting their head over :rollgrin: Dont really need to flip it. You can just FLIP THE COLORS in your head :roll:

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:05 pm

ozonelevel wrote:It's 2017. Can't believe people still walk their lines! Haven't done that in over 3 years.
I know eh? I haven't walked my lines except in rare cases for years as well... coming up on 5 years me thinks.
You only take up the size of your kite at the launch, and I usually don't even unwind my lines until my assistant is holding the kite, whom I conveniently carried my kite over and handed it to.
Walk up to guys standing on the launch chatting... say hey, hold this for a minute please, walk to launch position while unwinding lines... thumbs up.
It is the fastest, most courtesy way to launch.... but apparently it is very complicated... because everyone is so adverse to it. I have even offered to walk people through it and still they go back to taking up space, getting people to run all over the place to flip their kite, laying lines over lines, getting caught on other kites wing tips and struts etc...
Oh well, at least my wife and I know the way.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:39 pm

Yea, I mean who would want to walk their lines out to check for nicks or knots anyway? I mean, why be safe if you can save 25 seconds?

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:42 pm

knotwindy wrote:Yea, I mean who would want to walk their lines out to check for nicks or knots anyway? I mean, why be safe if you can save 25 seconds?

Im checking my lines as i wind them up at end of session. 25 seconds to walk lines is fast! That would be cool to see.

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:24 pm

Great idea, I'm going to try this today

Return to “Kitesurfing”