Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Action cam tips

Forum for kitesurfers
ced1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cannon Rocks
Favorite Beaches: Cannon Rocks, Flag Beach, Anse la Raie, Witsands, Dolphin beach
Style: Big air, wave riding
Gear: Airush, Underwave

Action cam tips

Postby ced1 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:29 am

I've been using action cams for a few years now.
Getting good results in Kiteboarding has taken learning some tricks. I thought I'd share my experience and perhaps get some more tips from users out there.

The bulk of my experience lies with a go pro 3+ black. The hero 5 has taken away some of the problems. I'm thinking of the 5 once finances allow, but I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who could benefit from some of these tips which are specifically aimed at kiteboarding.

Cheers

Ced

http://www.cannonrocks.com/blog/action- ... he-casing/

http://www.cannonrocks.com/blog/action- ... nd-mounts/

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Action cam tips

Postby jeromeL » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:03 pm

Here is what i learned:

Fog
Never had fogging issue, minimize how long case is open, so when you take camera out close the case right away. Make sure you wipeout dry so water doesn't get in there.

First person action: for me it's helmetmount. I find video in mouth mouth not very stable. And mostly see my shoulder.
Use Superview setting so you get more vertical on the footage, in most case I can see both board and kite while riding.. instead of watching only water or sky...
I usually use 60fps unless I want to save space or battery?

On line mount I don't use Superview, I usually go M angle because camera is pretty far.

When shooting from a fix pole I go W so I don't miss shot.

When holding camera I would shoot in M but depends how close you are I guess.

Narrow setting is too shaky, maybe would work on a tripod but on a pole the wind usually make video pretty shaky. And I feel like quality isn't as good.
I have hero 4 silver which is same specs as 3 black

ced1
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Cannon Rocks, Flag Beach, Anse la Raie, Witsands, Dolphin beach

Postby ced1 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:40 pm

jeromeL wrote:
Here is what i learned:

Fog
Never had fogging issue, minimize how long case is open, so when you take camera out close the case right away. Make sure you wipeout dry so water doesn't get in there.

First person action: for me it's helmetmount. I find video in mouth mouth not very stable. And mostly see my shoulder.
Use Superview setting so you get more vertical on the footage, in most case I can see both board and kite while riding.. instead of watching only water or sky...
I usually use 60fps unless I want to save space or battery?

On line mount I don't use Superview, I usually go M angle because camera is pretty far.

When shooting from a fix pole I go W so I don't miss shot.

When holding camera I would shoot in M but depends how close you are I guess.

Narrow setting is too shaky, maybe would work on a tripod but on a pole the wind usually make video pretty shaky. And I feel like quality isn't as good.
I have hero 4 silver which is same specs as 3 black

Interesting, I definitely favour the Mouth Mount over the helmet mount, I find it more stable. Also I find I can access the camera more easily and take it in my hand to change the angle. But That is my personal experience. Maybe I shake my head more :)
I also prefer to shoot at 60fps.
And for the fogging I have found some cases fog more than others. Why, I have no idea...

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:01 pm

The most important thing in filming is not the camera the mount or the trick. It is the mind of the person making the viddy. Think in your mind what kind of movie you want to make. Play the movie in your mind, and watch it. Is it boring? Maybe it's boring. Rewind. Watch it in your mind again. Is it good now? Maybe it's still boring. Rewind. Watch the movie in your mind again. Now it's good. Think about what kinds of angles the movie you made in your mind required, what kind of mounts. Now you go buy the mounts you need to make that viddy. People tend to buy mounts first and then just make viddies haphazardly. If you want a great viddy it all starts with the mind of the person shooting that viddy, making interesting choices and then bringing it to life. I like your comments about the mouth mount a lot by the way. Nice smacking the lip.

Mad_dan
Medium Poster
Style: Bigair and airstyle
Gear: Core XR4 13.5
Core GTS3 11m
Core GTS4 9m
Core XR 6m
Tronic.
Naish mega
Airrush slayer
Airsusv sector
Crazyfly cruizer
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mad_dan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:26 pm

Probably a stupid question, but how do you shoot still pictures while riding? Do you just edit them oyt of the film?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:29 pm

Mad_dan wrote:Probably a stupid question, but how do you shoot still pictures while riding? Do you just edit them oyt of the film?
cam has a setting to take burst photos instead of movies

ced1
Frequent Poster

Postby ced1 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:15 am

edt wrote:The most important thing in filming is not the camera the mount or the trick. It is the mind of the person making the viddy. Think in your mind what kind of movie you want to make. Play the movie in your mind, and watch it. Is it boring? Maybe it's boring. Rewind. Watch it in your mind again. Is it good now? Maybe it's still boring. Rewind. Watch the movie in your mind again. Now it's good. Think about what kinds of angles the movie you made in your mind required, what kind of mounts. Now you go buy the mounts you need to make that viddy. People tend to buy mounts first and then just make viddies haphazardly. If you want a great viddy it all starts with the mind of the person shooting that viddy, making interesting choices and then bringing it to life. I like your comments about the mouth mount a lot by the way. Nice smacking the lip.
Vision, I like it, but man sometimes it looks so good in my mind only ...

ced1
Frequent Poster

Postby ced1 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:19 am

Mad_dan wrote:Probably a stupid question, but how do you shoot still pictures while riding? Do you just edit them oyt of the film?
Getting frames out of the video is not as good as taking pics. At 4k it gets better but the image crop (at least on the gopro 3+) is restrictive.
Yeah, my best set up is "burst mode" 30 pics in 3 second and remote.

http://www.cannonrocks.com/blog/action- ... nd-mounts/

Ced

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:39 pm

edt wrote:I like your comments about the mouth mount a lot by the way. Nice smacking the lip.
Oh yes another issue for me with mouth mount is what to do with it when not filming, first time I used it I let it hang around my neck and landing the jump, GoPro smacked me in the face, leaving a bruise.
Another kind of smacking the lip ;)

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:59 pm

jeromeL wrote:what to do with it when not filming,
Tuck inside spray top or in between body and life jacket. My arm leash is also long enough that I can stick it in the thigh pocket of my board shorts without restricting movement.

Return to “Kitesurfing”