Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tarpon Springs
Gear: N/A
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

FL Keys kiting by boat - FL Bay or Lower Keys

Postby OffshoreApparel » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:56 am

Bringing a boat to the keys in search of uncrowded, pristine shallow flat water. The FL Bay on the gulf side of Islamorada looks like it fits the bill. Anyone kite this area?

Also considering the flats off Cudjoe in the lower keys. I've grown up lobstering the cudjoe area and my only concern here is the currents on the flats and in the cuts.

Any help appreciated. Any other recommendations welcome. A small isolated sandbar on a huge flat, only accessible by boat would be ideal!

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: FL Keys kiting by boat - FL Bay or Lower Keys

Postby noel » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:08 am

I have lived in Islamorada and been kiting here for 16 yrs. There are only 2 sandbars on the bay side with flats that are useable and only on a N or NW wind. The first is Cotton Key but if it's windy out of those wind directions, the local shop will have 4-5 lessons and a few riders there and there is only enough room for 2-3 lesson and that's still too many people. Can you say cluster f**k? 
              The other spot is the Indian Mound sandbar just south of Cow Pen Key and Toilet Seat Pass. It can be a little gusty but a fun ride. Once the wind goes to 30 degrees NNE, you will want to go to the ocean side. 
              The Intracoastal Waterway is only a mile or less off-shore on the bay side. After that you are in the Florida Bay Park and it is illegal to kite, swim, let dogs swim, windsurf, etc..... DO NOT GO INTO THE PARK! If you do and a ranger see you, (they can see the kite from miles away) depending on their mood, you will either get a ticket or arrested. Riding anywhere else will just piss off the fishermen. From a satellite view it would seem that there are tons of sandbars but there are only 2. Everything else is mud and flats. If you continuously ride on certain flats the fishermen will encroach on you purposely, and try to get you to leave. It sounds like this is not what you are looking for so I hope you won't try their patience. 
              The lower keys are phenomenal and if I were closer, why go any where else. Marvin Key and the Content Keys are some of the best riding the keys has to offer. Miles and miles of knee to waist deep, hard sand bottom. You only notice current if you are near a bridge and Marvin Key And The Contents are 10-13 miles out so no bridges. You can camp on Marvin Key also.

OffshoreApparel
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tarpon Springs
Gear: N/A

Postby OffshoreApparel » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:32 am

Thanks for the tip. We'll stick with lower keys.

Trying to kite FL Bay would have been a big mistake.

Wind Runner
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Emerald Isle, Indian Beach, Bogue Sound, Cape Lookout, all in NC
Style: Back and forth
Gear: Slingshot Rally 7, 9, Switch Nano 12, Slingshot Turbine 15
Misfit 136, 146
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140, 150

Postby Wind Runner » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:23 pm

I just called a shop in Islamorada to ask about kiting Bay side in the area and when I asked about if there are any restrictions to kiting there he said "nope". He said the only restrictions are for propellers/boats. Was this info just plain wrong? Now he did say that you really do need a boat to kite on the bay side. The reason I even asked is that I found a rental house on the water that looks like it would be good to kite from if there's wind on that side.

If I'm going to plan a kite trip with or without a boat, should I just stick to the lower Keys anyway?

Return to “Kitesurfing”