Ayvalik
Style: Racer
Gear: Ozone edge v9 13m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ozone Edge V9: Post Pictures & Information Here

Postby Smartyy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:15 pm

I just bought a ozone edge v9 13m. I have an older version of the same model and size from year 2012.

Compared to the older version, it's absolutely powerless. Obviously its design has changed extensively but I didn't expect this much. Anybody has any explanations?

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge 7, 10, 13, 17.
Best Kiteboarding RP 52cm Bar, 22m lines.
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.

Postby fat blokes can fly » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:10 am

Smartyy wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:15 pm
I just bought a ozone edge v9 13m. I have an older version of the same model and size from year 2012.

Compared to the older version, it's absolutely powerless. Obviously its design has changed extensively but I didn't expect this much. Anybody has any explanations?
I have the 13m v8 but have tried the 13m v9 several times. In my experience I have found the v9 to have more lift but less speed.

The v9 has been designed around jumping whereas the previous versions 8,7,6 (don't know about before) was design for speed. Ozone realised the field is now dominated by ram air kites, which they also have.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:46 am

Oh, that can not be. I have been told many times on here that ram air kites are inferior.😱

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:02 am

knotwindy wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:46 am
Oh, that can not be. I have been told many times on here that ram air kites are inferior.😱
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:03 am

Smartyy wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:15 pm

Yeah, def not as fast on the water, but def jumps bigger. This thing goes to the moon.

gilana
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 70KG
Local Beach: We live on our sailing yacht and at the moment we are in the San Blas Islands of Panama, and we sometimes have visiting guests to come spend a week of wind with us...

Laura and Mike
Favorite Beaches: Chameys in San Andres Isla Colombia
Yansaladup in Kuna Yala Panama
Style: Old School
Gear: Ozone Edge 9m V8
Ozone Edge 9m V9
Ozone Edge 10m V9
Caution Santa Cruz Redline 132 TT
Epic Droid V2 135x41 TT
Chemical 132 TT
North Directional
Brand Affiliation: None, I wish.

Postby gilana » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:33 am

Hey Smartyy, have you tried rear lines at minus 5 setting? I found that to be the key.
Or let me ask another way, is the bar closer to you than the old kite?
I think they come from the factory with a "tame" setting at middle knot.

I had a 2012 Edge, we called it Ju-ju-kite I could easily kite with the 9m in 12 knots on a 140 tt and I weigh about 160.
When I got my V9 9, it was quite tame at factory setting, I went one tack right one left, back to beach, moved the steering lines, and BANG!! it was all back to how I expected.

We have Edges from 2012 a 9 and 11, a V8 from 2016 9m and now a 9 and 10 V9.

You know how flip-fops are at their best just before you dump them? They really get comfortable just before they are worn out? Well the V9 is like your favourite flip flops, but brand new. All the same familiar feeling, but way more power, higher boost, faster, wahaaay faster, and no deforming under hard pulls. The trade-off is that they are harder to relaunch. A new technique is needed, on the older model it would walk all the way up to the edge of the window for a soft launch, the V9 needs to be popped up before getting there, its a hotter launch. But hey, some small price to pay for all that you get in return.

Jeez I did not set out to write a whole long story, but while I am here....If you are an edge rider you will love this kite. I have given a few of the local instructors, and wild kids here, in San Andres Isla Colombia, a demo on our new V9's and they are stoked. One guy went straight into unhooked handlepass inverted stuff, and when he came back he said it was his personal best, cheeky bugger, now he demands a turn every time we see him :) He now has a pic of this kite on his whatsapp profile. ( all the locals now he is "loco")

Quality is superb. Small details, like when the thread runs out in the middle of a seam, the new bobbin is loaded, and the seam is restarted a little way back so its oversewn. Every re-start is oversewn the exact same amount, and through the same holes! There are new flap stopping soft battens, as the V8 and earlier used to fart during a loop. The tips have a new little spacer thingy inside the corner. Splicing of bridle lines is better than sleeve and sew loops. New lines are thinner, both bridle and front lines, no wind noise, very little drag. The strut airfoil curves are beautiful without the segments normally needed to achieve this. The tolerance to dimensions is very high, indicating a motivated and accurate production department.

My wife and I are extremely happy with this purchase, not the cheapest kite around, but excellent value measured in miles of smiles.

Massimo
Frequent Poster
Style: FreeRiding >> WaveRiding
Gear: Slingshot RPM 14
Slingshot RPM 10
North DICE 10

Gaastra SurfPro 5'4"
Naish Sol 134
Fly-Radical 139
LF Influence 137
Brand Affiliation: Not yet
Has thanked: 0

Postby Massimo » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:42 pm

just bought the 13m, I was surprise how good it performs (never tried an edge before)

Very stable, rather fast for the size and kite type.

As expected big floating jumps even at its low end :jump:

Very clear bar feedback although the bar is rather light (used on middle setting and still it was very ok)

made a mistake during a jump and the kite fell of the sky and almost inverted, I was forced to pull the safety :?: Fist time that something like that happen to me on a pump kite :o Relaunch was ok, no real issues

In general really I really like the kite although is horribly expensive, I will probably swap my enduro 10m with the edge too.

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge 7, 10, 13, 17.
Best Kiteboarding RP 52cm Bar, 22m lines.
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.

Postby fat blokes can fly » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:57 pm

I have actually seen the v9 fold along the full length of the kite several times, in conditions as you describe above.

Huib
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2

Postby Huib » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:31 am

Got the V8-17m and the V8-11 which I have replace for the V9 11m + 15m. High-end 15 meter is very high and gives then high jumps. But you can make almost then the same jumps with the V9-11m. Low-end V9-15m is a bit disappointed.
The bags don't have a pocket for your bar. :-?

Return to “Kitesurfing”