Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha, Peter Lynn, Ozone, RRD
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Twintip Advice for Heavy Rider

Postby BigD » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:10 am

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of buying a new twintip kiteboard and would like some help deciding on a size. I weigh around 130kg (290lb) and I am 1.88m (6'2) tall so if you are close to my weight that will be beneficial.

I have searched the forum and read everything I can, however, I am still confused about what board size will be right. Currently I am riding an RRD BS45 (145x45cm) light wind board. I am still a beginner but I would like my next board to be something I can advance on and that can also handle chop better than my current board (which has a very flat rocker and no channels).

My current riding style is freeride/freestyle, wind conditions normally range from 15-25 knots, and at the moment I ride in lagoons and lakes but I hope to get out into the ocean fairly soon.

The board I am looking at is the 2017 Slingshot Misfit and the sizes I am trying to decide between are 146x43.5cm and 142x42cm.

Which do you think would be the better size? I am also open to other twintip recommendations, I will be trying a Mako soon and maybe in the future I will move onto surfboards or foils.

Thank you.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Twintip Advice for Heavy Rider

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:26 am

You won't notice much difference. It's the law of diminishing returns--you can get a bigger board and kite but under 15 knots will still suck.

Get a foil board.

I'm the same height and almost same weight as you. I used 170x50 (but now only 140x43) for TT and big kites but you get sick of the fight. Especially when the little guys are flying upwind past you...

Foil is fun, efficient and effective. And you don't need to buy the massive kites

BigD
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Umdloti South Africa

Postby BigD » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:26 pm

I will probably advance onto a foil board at a later stage, but the places I ride at the moment have shallow sand banks so I would like something in the interim.

I currently have a 10m, 13m, 15m and 18m so I already have the big kites so that's not a concern. My current board works so I'm not looking to go bigger, I just want a slightly more advanced board.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:38 pm

can you test boards?
maybe from friends, shops or at demo events?
This will be the best to get a feeling for what works best for you.

130 kg is a serious weight...which can change the rocker when you ride it...maybe something is great for someone with less weight, but bad for you.

Test if you can!!!

justbob
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Mbay, Rondeau, Kettle Point
Gear: 14m Switch Nitro 4
12m Switch Nitro 7
11m Switch Element
10m Switch Nitro 6
8m Switch Nitro 4
Jimmy Lewis Model 3
Shinn King Gee
Axis Vanguard
Shinnster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby justbob » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:26 pm

See if you can try out a Shinn King Gee. Picked one up last year, best money I've spent in
kiting so far. I'm 225lbs and my main kite is a 14m. It's touted as a light wind board for
heavier riders, its got a little rocker and jumps fairly well. Mine is the 146/46 and I've
used it in 20 kts with a small kite as well, goes upwind at will. I've tried other large
doorish boards and this one is way better IMHO.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:58 pm

Litewave kick-s would work well for you. Very robust board and works great in chop and small waves. They have a 139x44 or an XL 144x46.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:28 pm

If your not into jumping or travelling then the Mako KIng would fit the bill. You can ride it TT or Dir. Chop eater and nice to ride small waves on.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:07 pm

Hi
I’m 116Kg ‘ish! and 6’3”
I’ve had a quite few TT boards, more than I’d care to confess and I’ve recently moved from a USA flat bay location to the confused chop of the south UK. (Not out of choice!)

The carbon sticks I had for flat water are proving to be uncomfortable in the tight chop, hence I have opted for some alternatives.
The board I’ve ended up with are similar in size, it’s just the style/design of board that needed changing.

Choppy Wates:
Cabrinha Tronic 141 X 42 16-20 mph
(or Shinn Monk 137 x 44 need to use it more to decide!
Shinn Bronq 136 X 42 21mph upwards

Flat Bay:
Crazyfly LTD or Elite 140 16-19 mph
Crazyfly LTD 136 20mph upwards

I’ve always had a large TT for ligthwind, many spots I have kited are very tidal and would only suit a TT at lowish tide. My current big board is a Crazyfly LW, which I enjoy in light summer breezes.
These big boards do vary slightly, but modern ones, not by much.
Winds 13-19 mph

I use kites from 16m down to 10m for the above.

Some tips:
Be sure the straps are comfortable or budget to change them if you like the board.
Try before you buy if you can.
Boards/kites that don’t go upwind well will cause frustration, especially in the early stages.
Going too small with your TT will slow your progress. (There’s no law says you can’t keep boards that may overlap! So don’t be hasty selling anything you like at the moment)
Put some tape or sticker with your name and number on it.
The Bronq was a real find for me, great balance of flex, easy on the knees, upwind drive and speed.

Hope this helps.

Good luck with whatever you go with.

BigD
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Umdloti South Africa

Postby BigD » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:37 pm

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice, some of your suggestions have already considered and the new ones I will look into.

Unfortunately, test riding the boards is a bit of a struggle, firstly because where I live there aren't any kite shops and easy testing locations, and when I get to the coast, the dealers don't have stock of the big sizes.

I have managed to organise a test ride on a Mako 150x40 and a Vanhunks Bucca 145x43 (I think), but that will only be in the next month or so.

Initially, I was just going to buy the board online due to our lack of selection and test riding options, but I agree it would be best to test before I buy.

The brands with the biggest selection in store here are F-One, Cabrinha, CrazyFly, Best, Nobile, and Slingshot.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:30 pm

I'm 230 pies and I would recommend that you check out the Mako King and the Litewave Wing. Those are both great boards, though the Wing is definitely aimed at light wind/heavy riders. The Mako King 165 will ride smaller than its size indicates, closer to a 155 or so. Its narrowed, rounded tips, rocker and aggressive concave add up to a board that will slice through chop like it's not even there, easy on the knees, and possible to hold an incredible amount of power. Which also happens to make it amazing for jumping. It's very stiff, so if you're someone that relies on board flex (pop) instead of technique to get you off the water when you jump, you'll have to learn to do that. Otherwise, I love jumping Makos. One of my friends likes to say that the Mako King is "like a Cadillac for your feet" and I'm inclined to agree. One note here: If you're unhooking and throwing handlepasses all day, the Mako is NOT the board for you.

The Litewave Wing (whether 155 or 165) is a lightwind board that doesn't know it. Decent rocker, concave, and parabolic sidecuts make that board both able and fun to ride in a variety of conditions, from flat to waves. The Kick-S 144 would be pretty good as well. It also has some rocker and concave on the bottom that make it a chop killer, while being wide enough to help keep it from being power hungry.

All that said, understand that the more rocker a board has, the more power it'll take to ride it. So if your current board is 145x45 and flat, if you get something that's not flat and has some rocker, you're likely going to need something bigger than the sizes you're talking about. If you go with the Misfit, the bigger size is your best option, but likely isn't going to be quite big enough, IMHO.

I'd recommend the Mako King for you, as it's just so versatile and fun to ride. Most people don't understand how hard it is for guys our size (and thank you for making me feel slightly smaller :wink: ) to ride without large enough boards. Good luck to you and let us know how you end up!

SENDIT!

*Disclaimer-I sell and ride all of the aforementioned boards (plus many more)
These users thanked the author SENDIT! for the post:
golfaroo (Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:59 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”