Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Twintip Advice for Heavy Rider

Forum for kitesurfers
jonnydiesel
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Bantayan Is & Siargao Phillipines, Peel Estuary
Favorite Beaches: Bantayan Is,Sante Fe Siargao, Phillipines, Boggy Bay, Sandy Bay, GraveYards, Coronations, Augusta, Warnbro, Gnarloo, Avalon, Balian Indonesia, Mui Ne & Vang Tau Vietnam, Ras Sudr, Dahab
Style: Just having fun
Gear: Eleveight kites, Flysurfer Boards, Nomad 150)TT
Brand Affiliation: Exmoth Surf Centre WestOz Kiteboarding great service
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Twintip Advice for Heavy Rider

Postby jonnydiesel » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:21 am

Am, :naughty very similar size and weight.

My favourite board is a Fly Surfer Fly Door 170.

Use the board from 10 knots to 25 knots in flat water, surf.

Just change my kite to suit.

Does everything well. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:37 am

BigD wrote:I will probably advance onto a foil board at a later stage, but the places I ride at the moment have shallow sand banks so I would like something in the interim.

I currently have a 10m, 13m, 15m and 18m so I already have the big kites so that's not a concern. My current board works so I'm not looking to go bigger, I just want a slightly more advanced board.
Get a short mast for the foil then. Or a surfboard, North Nugget or something like a Vanguard with more volume than the ones they usually sell. I think Firewire does bigger sizes than most companies sell...

12m tube is pretty much the biggest tube I use. If I need more kite, I'd rather have something that goes upwind nicely e.g.. a foil kite.

stenner
Medium Poster
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby stenner » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:19 pm

Why is a bigger board like the Mako 165 better for folks over say, 200 pounds? Even a big board like the Mako 165 King has very little actual flotation and will sink like a rock when a 230 lb dude steps on it, much less a 280 pounder, so why is it better for "big guys"

baxterbradford
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth, UK
Gear: Foil, surfboard, twintip & 8-18m kites

Postby baxterbradford » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:29 pm

I'm similar size/weight. Started on Shinn King George III (now King Gee) 150x50, then went F-One Trax Carbon LW 145x45 which I found was too flexible in stronger winds due to loads I was putting on it. Essentially what lighter riders need in lighter wind isn't what you or I need. Did similar process to you, but sent emails to couple of companies. Simon from Nomad said no problem, I'll change lay-up & rocker and recommend 140x43cm. I've had it 2 years now and v happy. Mine is his mid-range Prototype model. Like others have said, use of surfboard and foil gives added flexibility and riding in lighter conditions. Use the Nomad 14-36+ kts.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:10 pm

stenner wrote:Why is a bigger board like the Mako 165 better for folks over say, 200 pounds? Even a big board like the Mako 165 King has very little actual flotation and will sink like a rock when a 230 lb dude steps on it, much less a 280 pounder, so why is it better for "big guys"
Surface area :thumb: :thumb:

BigD
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Umdloti South Africa
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha, Peter Lynn, Ozone, RRD
Been thanked: 0

Postby BigD » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:13 pm

Thanks everyone,

I have decided to wait to try out the board instead of ordering anything online, even if it means I must wait a bit longer, make sure it is the correct board at first.

Does anyone know if there is a dealer for Shinn in South Africa?

stenner
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby stenner » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:49 pm

matth wrote:
stenner wrote:Why is a bigger board like the Mako 165 better for folks over say, 200 pounds? Even a big board like the Mako 165 King has very little actual flotation and will sink like a rock when a 230 lb dude steps on it, much less a 280 pounder, so why is it better for "big guys"
I was hoping for more of an in-depth explanation, there's got to be me nuance to the reasons than just surface area. Otherwise why not a 4x8 sheet of plywood?

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:26 am

stenner wrote:
matth wrote:
I was hoping for more of an in-depth explanation, there's got to be me nuance to the reasons than just surface area. Otherwise why not a 4x8 sheet of plywood?
Float is useful when you are not moving quickly, but once you get planing speed, then projected surface area is important.

I am a larger lad and have found float, width and rocker significant ....... width and rocker more important than float.

I have a 23 inch wide (3 inch thick) fish. Almost no rocker by surfboard standards, so it's projected surface area is huge ...... Brilliant is low wind conditions because it planes well and gives me float during the wind lulls. A Nugget (which has significant volume) is good in low wind as well because it planes well and gives me float during the wind lulls but works well also in 25 knots. Firewire Evo is the equally as good as the Nugget.

I find the Mako King has too much rocker in low wind conditions, as does the Cab Tronic, but both are good when there is 15 knot or more but they do not project significant surface area because of the rocker.

I have a CrazyFly Cruiser (150x50) and CrazyFly Door (160x44) and both are good and have very little rocker. But the 150x50 Cruiser is just a little bit stiffer (and hence less rocker) and wider so I feel it goes better in lighter winds then the door. No volume at all, so in big lulls you sink.

I generally ride the Crazyfly Door with just a deck pad like a surfboard, works a treat. If there are larger waves, I will ride the Nugget or an Evo.

But for super low wind (10 knots), I foil.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:43 am

stenner wrote:
matth wrote:
Because the weight of the plywood would break your knees :thumb:

More planing area makes it easy to get and keep going. I've a Mako 150 and due to the rocker and my ineptitude, it's more like a 135 TT for me...

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:28 pm

Disregarding what board you chose, the most important factor is width.
Of course ocean waters are more difficult than lagoons and lakes.
At your weight, the smallest width I would recommend you is 45cm, especially under 18 knots.
For winds over 18 knots, 42 cm width should be enough.

Return to “Kitesurfing”