Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

RPM vs Catalyst vs FX

Forum for kitesurfers
mmeyers12
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I wish I had a local beach....
Style: Freeride, Waves, Hydrofoil
Gear: 10m Fone Diablo
8m Orbit
7m GTS
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

RPM vs Catalyst vs FX

Postby mmeyers12 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:59 pm

Throughout my kiting career, I have used the RPM and Catalyst. Both have pros and cons and I am looking for something in the middle.

The RPM I love the loops and the general feel of this kite. In higher wind I feel comfortable looping the kite. I do not like the vertical boost, it is not so great compared to other kites I have flown.

The catalyst is very similar and while I like the jumping ability of this kite, the loops I do not like as much. The loops pull a little bit too much and to be honest I feel a little nervous to loop when the wind picks up.

I am looking for something to split the difference. A kite that can boost well but loop a little easier and smoother like the RPM. I am not too interested in freestyle, just freeride and I am finally building the nerve and understanding of the kiteloop to throw some loops while midair. I am wondering if the Cabrinha FX is the kite for me. While I really love the RPM, I feel like this kite might sacrifice some positive freeride characteristics in order to be the freestyle machine that gets people on the podium regularly. Since I am not interested in this, I want an agressive kite more dedicated to freeride and looping. Anyone has flown all three kites and can really compare for me? Is it even possible to have a kite that has fantastic jumping like the catalyst and easy smooth looping like the RPM? Perhaps you cant have both?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Re: RPM vs Catalyst vs FX

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:39 pm

mmeyers12, I think you've already got it figured out pretty well. Based on my experience, the FX would be a good compromise. You've described all 3 kites well.

Here are my impressions of these kites. The older Catalysts boost well and loop fairly well. The RPMs loop like a dream, but aren't great boosting kites; RPMs excel at unhooked riding. The FX is in that middle sweet spot; still boosts well, but loops a lot better than the Catalyst, IMHO. Like I said, I think your analysis is already spot on. :thumb:

huge
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby huge » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:43 pm

looking forward to read further responses, I am currently riding the Fx 10m. I like it but find it a little on the weak side especially in the hang time department.

Matt_TYRCZ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Virginia Beach , VA
Favorite Beaches: First Landing State Park, OBX
Style: booting, kiteloop, freestyle
Gear: CORE Kiteboarding, MYSTIC , CrazyFLy

Postby Matt_TYRCZ » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:52 pm

get higher aspect ratio kite. long and skinnier but not c kite.

i found Naish Park HD being great booster and great smooth loops .
Racing kites ( Draft or Cab Appollo ) boost and hang crazy but not to good for loops .
Naish bar pressure is pretty light so you wont get tired so fast

.......just my tough

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:30 am

mmeyers12 wrote:I am not too interested in freestyle, just freeride and I am finally building the nerve and understanding of the kiteloop to throw some loops while midair.
At our local spot I've seen some of the Ozone team riders really enjoying the new Enduro for jumping and looping. It's a derivative of the Catalyst that's focused towards advanced riders. Looks very similar to the FX, but I don't have any first hand experience flying them.
http://ozonekites.com/products/water-kites/enduro-v1/

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:59 pm

You might like the switch nitro too, similar kind of feel as an open C. I liked the feel a lot more than the RPM which felt kind of mushy in comparison.

mmeyers12
Medium Poster
8m Orbit
7m GTS

Postby mmeyers12 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:47 am

I am also looking towards some five strut designs like the switch nitro or best ts. Anyone can let me know the difference between say the cabrinha fx and a best ts? How about wind range? I imagine jumping on these five strut design kites should be slightly better due to the higher aspect ratio?

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:54 am

It affects more of the feel than anything else. I can jump just as high on my 3-strut LF envy as I can on my Nitro (or at least around the same height, not noticeably different), but envy feels way lighter and is more stable in the air. The TS feels really similar to the nitro, slightly less feedback at the bar than the nitro just because the TS has pulleys and the nitro doesn't but overall very similar kite. Nick Jacobsen goes huge on the FX, I think that's his main kite? I can't remember if he ever switched to the new chaos.

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Teabageppo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:04 am

You u haven't mentioned surfing, nor unhooking.

You mentioned the catalysts loops scared you a bit (not sure why because they are relatively lame...but anyhow).

A kite that will out boost all of those by a country mile and give you a controlled relatively gentle loop, just enough whack to know you've looped and where the kite is is the north Evo. The loops are metronomic nature.

It won't drift as well as the FX, it won't unhook as well as the rpm...but will shit all over the catalyst.

Honestly man that is such an average kite in every aspect.

You want to boost big and loop, then the evo mate.

You want more unhooking prowess the rpm. You want something that loops real fast but will give you a decent yank, the FX.

Catalyst shouldnt even be in the equation, inferior to all those kites mentioned.

Rpm has an awesome smooth bar feel, actually so does the FX, the north evo just as good, if not better bar feel if that's what you like.

All I read is boost and loop. Evo.

mmeyers12
Medium Poster
8m Orbit
7m GTS

Postby mmeyers12 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:51 am

Just to be clear, I am referring to the 2015 and prior catalyst, not the 2016. I am referring to it only because I have flown the 2013 catalyst for 3 years so I know it well. I flew RPM for the three years prior so I know it well.

I also forgot to mention that I am also looking for a kite with a small radius in the loop. I feel the Evo turning radius is too large. This is also the reason I don't like to loop the catalyst in high winds is because the somewhat large turning radius. It always seems to travel right through the power zone of the window.

The FX is Nick Jacobsen's go to kite? Nice, +1 point for the FX. Is this the kite he used when he jumped off Richard Branson's house?

Return to “Kitesurfing”