Forum for kitesurfers
kitet
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2017 Ride Engine vs Dakine C1

Postby kitet » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:34 pm

Which one do you prefer and what spreader bar do you use? I heard the sliding spreader bar on the Dakine C1 doesn't run as smoothly as the rope on the RE.

And what about traveling with these rigid harnesses? Do they take up a lot more room to pack given they can't lay flat in a bag?

Thanks!

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Re: 2017 Ride Engine vs Dakine C1

Postby knotwindy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:47 pm

Tried them both although my Ride Engine was one of the custom originals so the production ones may be different. You have to just try them both as harnesses are all about fit and comfort. Everyone is different and has different needs so it is hard to answer. For me the C1 was not as good, it rode up and squeezed more. The Ride Engine is, for me, the best harness I have worn. Means almost nothing as to how it will work for you. The slider rope is great, no problem in waves or jumping. As far as travel I just wrap it around a kite, no sweat. YMMV

MMac22
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SC
Style: Surf
Gear: North kites, Tomo boards

Postby MMac22 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:24 pm

Ride Engine with the RE sliding rope bar. I've owned both and they are both excellent harnesses. However, the C1 is hinged on the sides. I found the C1's hinges allowed it to squeeze my sides and kidney area and caused discomfort. The Ride Engine is more comfortable with the one piece shell that doesn't squeeze.
For traveling, just wrap the harness around a kite and put it in your gear bag, the harness protects the kite and doesn't take up much room.
Last edited by MMac22 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:08 am

You need to try them for fit. I tried the ride engine and found that it rubbed my ribs where as the difference in the cut for the C1 was much more comfortable. As above, haven't had a problem travelling as you just wrap round your kite. In fact I prefer them as they are slightly lighter than my old North Airstyler helping me stay within the 20kg baggage limit.

If its just the sliding spreader that you want then you might also consider just getting a replacement spreader bar. Ion, dakine and (I think) mystic have all started releasing sliding bars/rope spreaders that can be retrofitted. Cheaper than a new harness.....

kitet
Rare Poster

Postby kitet » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:30 am

Thank you. Any other feedback?

Cabarete_Dom
Medium Poster

Postby Cabarete_Dom » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:58 pm

I have not ridden the C1 so can't comment on it, what i can say is after riding countless harnesses over 15 years that the ride engine harness is the most comfortable harness i have ever worn.

I had seen friends get the custom ones and then the production ones came out and as much as i love slingshot i have been riding the ballistic in each model year and constantly come off the water with pain in my ribs, i went foiling the first time on the 2015 ride engine with the slider and then another session on a twin tip with the fixed spreader and i can't exactly translate into words how little i felt the harness during both sessions, that hard back support is amazing it doesn't move... at all, up down sideways nothing, i have a 31 inch waist and the small was perfect, again not knowing anything about the c1 makes this a little one sided and i haven't tried the newer version of the harness which i can only imagine is even better.

danidr
Medium Poster
Style: Twintip
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby danidr » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:29 pm

kitet wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:30 am
Thank you. Any other feedback?
I use the 2016 with the CF slider, it's really really nice! I didn't sell my other harness yet, but want to get the hook spreader bar also and only use the Ride Engine. I do believe that in this scenario the CF slider is more difficult to take out compared to the metal slider, so if you plan on having 1 harness and two spreader bars, go for the metal spreader bars as by the photos the seem to be easier/faster to exchange. Maybe others can comment.

BTW Ride Engine's customer service is really good! I ride Cabrinha but would seriously consider Slingshot (same owner as Ride Engine) for my future kites because of this!

Jonpnw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pacific Northwest
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: Quikfin

Postby Jonpnw » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:26 pm

I love the Ride Engine harness and either rope while surfing/foiling or the fixed hook for twin tip. One thing to keep in mind on the Ride Engine harness you most likely will need to size down, If it is rubbing your ribs go down one size. Cinch the straps tight and double them back through the buckles to lock it in. Cheers !

tommeltot
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: .

Postby tommeltot » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:24 pm

I concur with both Cabarete_Dom and Jonpnw:

My RE 2016 Hex-Core is super comfortable. Best performing harness so far. The rigid back support is amazing. I have not experienced any untoward movement up, down, sideways at all. My waist is no bigger than 31 inch and the small harness is a perfect fit over my wetsuit. It is also spot on over my drysuit with fleece layers!

Not tried the rope slider yet but would like to. Definitely cinch the straps tight (if like me you prefer a snug fit) and to save against any slippage double back as said above.

I can't comment on the C1.

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:52 pm

I have RE for two years now. I fly a lot with it and carry it as part of my hand luggage...
(with carbon slider bar)
if you want to pack it in kitebag, I suggest to place it in one end of the bag harness open and stuff it out with kites or wetsuit etc.
do not pack it flat!

hope it helps...

Return to “Kitesurfing”