Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

new 2017/2018 Naish Boxer

Forum for kitesurfers
clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,
Brand Affiliation: None

new 2017/2018 Naish Boxer

Postby clint2070 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:55 am

I just started foiling and Ive had the 12m Naish Boxer for about a week now. I also have the 2017 Naish trip 12m. I love my trip but I guess Im going to sell it. I went to Europe in October and since I was going to 5 different countries there was no way I was going to take a gear bag with me so I just brought my 12m trip and bar. The only place I got the opportunity to kite was Tarifa and Malaga Spain. The trip packs down so small that it didn't even bother me crying it along. I was kiting in Tarifa in 11mph with a 5'2" too vanguard. The wind there defiantly has more punch than CA.The only down fall of the trip is the lack of control when over powered.Over Xmas I went to La Ventana Mexico and brought my trip. I got so over powered that the kite wouldn't even turn anymore ! Good thing I brought my Pivot ! The other thing, while learning to foil, if you back stall drop it in light wind, getting it to re launch is a nightmare. What kite isn't in 7mph ? I've only had the Boxer for 6 days now but I'm liking it so far. I was worried about the floating strut. It made me think of the North Rebel that had one one year and it was a major problem. The Boxers strut is sewn on though. I actually think it could take a hit from a wave and survive it. This kite is built ! It re launches in next to nothing ! even when back stall dropping it. It does seem large for a 12m though. I think its more like a 13m haha ! Ill have to lay it on top of my trip to see the difference in size. I also bought the new slash and finally got to ride it in surf yesterday. naish has a good lineup this year. Im stoked ! I can kite in 9mph now instead of waiting for it to hit 13mph. The foil will never replace my surfboards though !

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Re: new 2017/2018 Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:45 am

Great post Clint. Interested to hear how your thoughts on the Slaish vs Pivot. Is it all better in the surf or do you feel you loose on the low end/upwind capabilties to get a faster kite that drifts better?

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:34 pm

What do they mean by floating strut?

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:16 pm

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:20 pm

Monsoon ultra flat kites had floating struts - worked really well and held good shape...
This was the 14m
Attachments
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (1).jpg (15.49 KiB) Viewed 5024 times

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,

Postby clint2070 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:51 am

Thats a great video of it but when you put two same size kites together the one in the back always appears bigger. the only way to really tell is if you lay them flat on each other deflated. Il bring them both to the beach tomorrow and see if the trip is the same size as the boxer. Great video though. Those guys are funny ! Hey ! Even if the floating strut doesn't do much at least its innovative right ? Pushes other companies to create new products to improve our quality of kiting and make sure we remain single in even the lightest of winds ! HaHa ! Honestly, I just started foiling and I really don't know if the kite really makes a difference until i try to turn around. Then I just want a kite that won't fall out of the sky and if it does, give me some hope of re launching it before it gets dark ! I haven't tried to kite with my 14m pivot but I think if I hit a hole of only 6mph that it will for sure not turn or stay up.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster

Postby clint2070 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:25 am

magnusod wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:45 am
Great post Clint. Interested to hear how your thoughts on the Slaish vs Pivot. Is it all better in the surf or do you feel you loose on the low end/upwind capabilties to get a faster kite that drifts better?
Bro ! I only bought the 10m Slash and Ive only had 2 sessions on it but I love it ! Finally a powered surf kite ! I love my pivots ! They drift good but still have low end power and turn speed without launching your ass 3 waves down after kite looping it. The only thing about the pivot is if you commit to a wave and at the last second decide it was a bad decision, Looping your kite to get the hell out of dodge might not help you ! haha ! The Slash has constant power without heavy bar pressure.It also has more drift than the pivot andt gives me a really good sense of where it is without being overwhelming. Its got really good low end, turns fast, stays where you put , doesn't shoot through the window like my old rabbit kites. Its definitetly different than any of my previous wave kites.I don't know why Naish is marketing it as a side shore/side off kite ! I don't have those conditions here in Southern CA. It works well in side on.The only thing that might make it non beginner friendly or wave specific is if I hold the bar in it doesn't back stall but does put on the brakes a bit. I wouldn't call it a unhooked wave kite. It also has good pop for strapless airs like the pivot. The only time I used it with a TT was in La Ventana and it was to qualify for the crossing so I don't know if its good for jumping on a TT ! Ive never tried it. My friends have North NEOs and after flying them the only thing I was envious about was the drifting of the Neo compared to The pivot. The pivot to me me seemed better in all other aspects especially low end. The Slash drifts ! And it has power ! Anyway, I should have started a post on it not make such a huge reply.

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:29 am

How do you guys find the Quadtex? Significant improvement in handling/responsiveness? Prolonged crispiness? Or just marketing hype?

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster

Postby clint2070 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:11 am

Strekke wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:29 am
How do you guys find the Quadtex? Significant improvement in handling/responsiveness? Prolonged crispiness? Or just marketing hype?
When I got my first quadtex I compared it new to my unused 8m pivot 2016 and the material is stiffer for sure. seems like it will last longer ! Is it lighter ? I have my doubts on that. I guess we will see. I didn't see any problem with the material on my 2016 kites ! That brings up a good topic ! Does stiffer fabric allow better flight and air flow or is it counter productive ?

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:41 am

clint2070 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:25 am
magnusod wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:45 am
Bro ! I only bought the 10m Slash and Ive only had 2 sessions on it but I love it ! Finally a powered surf kite ! I love my pivots ! They drift good but still have low end power and turn speed without launching your ass 3 waves down after kite looping it. The only thing about the pivot is if you commit to a wave and at the last second decide it was a bad decision, Looping your kite to get the hell out of dodge might not help you ! haha ! The Slash has constant power without heavy bar pressure.It also has more drift than the pivot andt gives me a really good sense of where it is without being overwhelming. Its got really good low end, turns fast, stays where you put , doesn't shoot through the window like my old rabbit kites. Its definitetly different than any of my previous wave kites.I don't know why Naish is marketing it as a side shore/side off kite ! I don't have those conditions here in Southern CA. It works well in side on.The only thing that might make it non beginner friendly or wave specific is if I hold the bar in it doesn't back stall but does put on the brakes a bit. I wouldn't call it a unhooked wave kite. It also has good pop for strapless airs like the pivot. The only time I used it with a TT was in La Ventana and it was to qualify for the crossing so I don't know if its good for jumping on a TT ! Ive never tried it. My friends have North NEOs and after flying them the only thing I was envious about was the drifting of the Neo compared to The pivot. The pivot to me me seemed better in all other aspects especially low end. The Slash drifts ! And it has power ! Anyway, I should have started a post on it not make such a huge reply.
No worries bro, I really appreciate your detailed answer. While you're at it..:-)..and more related to the topic. I've just started switching my kite quiver over to Naish starting with the Pivot 11. It replaced a LF Solo 12 and I still have Airush Wave 5, 7 and 9 which in, the hope not so long future, will be replaced by the Slash.
Before that I need a specific light wind kite above my Pivot 11. I got the Pivot 11 as I wanted a much faster kite than the Solo 12 and a lot of guys riding the Pivot pointed out that the 11 was significantly faster than the 12. While searching Pivot topics on KF I believe it was you who had the Pivot 14 as your light wind kite. Has the Boxer changed that or do you still feel that the Pivot 14 has a definite edge over the Boxer 12 in light wind?

Return to “Kitesurfing”