Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Riding without sunglasses

Forum for kitesurfers
abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Riding without sunglasses

Postby abel » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:18 am

About two years ago I gradually started to ride without sunglasses and found out that I enjoy better without them.
Of course, occasionally, the sun or its reflection get in my field of view.
So far I don't feel any issues and the optometrist check, for my regular glasses, didn't change in the last years, so it seems all is OK.

Anybody riding for several years without sunglasses and having eye (or other) issues ?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Riding without sunglasses

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:56 am

abel wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:18 am
About two years ago I gradually started to ride without sunglasses and found out that I enjoy better without them.
So far I don't feel any issues and the optometrist check, for my regular glasses, didn't change in the last years, so it seems all is OK.

Anybody riding for several years without sunglasses and having eye (or other) issues ?

???

I have never seen anyone riding WITH sunglasses :o

So you could ask almost anyone, but no never heard about eye issues.

Have experienced getting (I dont know the English word) too much light when on vacation to CapeTown in the summertime, so my eyes got sore.
In danish it is called "welders eyes", but it is some kind of a mild snow-blindness I would say.
Used sun-glasses on land after that (but not when on the water), and after a few days it dissapeared :D

What is the English term for this state, where you kind of get sore and "crying" eyes, because your cornea is overexposed ?

But you live in a very sunny environment most of the time I think, so interesting if any bad encounters in general of course.

8) Peter

seaplus
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish, CrazyFly
Has thanked: 0

Postby seaplus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:36 pm

eye.jpg

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:38 pm

I can't ride without...too much spray in my eyes and can't be healthy for your eyes with all that sun from above and below. Google "surfers eye" and read about it. Not recommended.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:00 pm

abel wrote:

No not at all man. Go ahead and enjoy yourself, there is nothing wrong with staring directly at the sun. :duh:

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:23 pm

Just like your skin, your eyes need protection. I can't think of any other part of my body that is more important than my eyes. Seaspecs for me....99$ for 3 pair

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:33 pm

abel wrote:

A few reasons why using "Good" sunglasses with UVA and UVB block , may be a good idea :

* Cataracts, a clouding of the eye’s lens that can blur vision. An estimated 20% of cases are caused by extended UV exposure.

* Macular degeneration, resulting from damage to the retina that destroys central vision. Macular degeneration is the leading cause of blindness in the United States.

* Pterygium, a tissue growth over the white part of the surface of the eye that can alter the curve of the eyeball, causing astigmatism.

https://nei.nih.gov/hvm/healthy_eyes_glasses

You might not think it's very COOL to use sunglasses ; but NOT using them is just DUMB !!! :nono:

Bille

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:10 pm

Cataract surgery is really good today they replace your lens and refocus your eye. bad thing is after the surgery you lose the ability to focus. takes years to get cataracts. it's your call

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:23 pm

Problem here is, you wont get any replies that are very usable Abel :roll:

Some will say you should use sunglasses ALWAYS, and better not go out in the sun at all if possible, as it is hurtful.
Which is correct to some extent.

Others will say you should enjoy life to the fullest without the obvious downsides of wearing sunglasses in the surf and in heavy impacts from hydrofoiling or freestyle, and then protect your eyes when off the water.

So you could also protect your eyes most of the time, and be free when out on the water - that is one choice (like 99.9 % does it seems)

It is tricky though, cause there will always be individual stories about some who did get problems, when not wearing sunglasses.

And most will never know, as they dont wear sunglasses off the water either, unless in areas with high sun where it is pretty normal, off the water that is :wink:

Almost like discussing the reasons for cancer - tricky to say what causes or contributes and what you should and should not do...

8) PF

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:28 pm

abel wrote:
My optometrist says you will not "feel" any issues because the damage is progressive and cumulative and eventually you will have "real" issues
He also says it does not have any effect on your regular glasses changing it's prescription
Might seem all OK but UV danger he says is there even on cloudy days
According to him people with younger eyes in their teens,twenties,thirties,early forties are not as sensitive to the sun's glare so they feel invincible
He says that once our crystalline lenses loses it's clarity from cumulative UV radiation the eyes will scatter the light of the sun and make it's glare less and less bearable
Slowing down that process is a very good thing for all kind of reasons that many have posted already

I wear contacts that block UV + expensive copper tinted (i don't like Gray it feels too dark) polarized wraparound shades
They have a non-reflective process on the back of the lenses to see very clear through them and are treated to repel water and oils on both sides

Return to “Kitesurfing”