Max2017
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None

OR Rise or Razor for beginner

Postby Max2017 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:13 pm

Hi,
I want to by first kite and think about used one. I found good deals for Ocean Rodeo Razor 2014 and Ocean Rodeo Rise 2010. Both 12m and in pretty good shape. Rise is twice cheaper.
Which kite is better for beginner? Also not sure about buying 7 years old kite, even if it's in good shape. Please advise.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:

Re: OR Rise or Razor for beginner

Postby dylan* » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:19 am

I definitely wouldn't want to have to deal with repairing my first kite as a beginner. Kites are a consumable product, things stretch out, glue melts, stitching comes apart. If it was lightly used and has been inspected by someone who really knows what they're doing (e.g. you're buying it through a shop on consignment, perhaps), it might be a good deal. I'd be skeptical of anything that old, though.

If price is a main concern I'd suggest looking at a brand that sells direct like Switch, they are roughly half the price of others. www.switchkites.com

adamj2281
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Sullivan's Island, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, boost
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Razor 8/10m, Flite 14.5m
Ocean Rodeo Mako Duke
Nobile 2HD

Postby adamj2281 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:55 am

Dylan,
I've had both kites, and for a beginner you definitely would want something like the Rise, but I wouldn't advise a 7 year old kite for your first kite.

I'd look around for a used OR Prodigy or something similar. The Prodigy is a lot like the Rise, definitely beginner friendly, but do yourself a favor and spend a bit more to begin with to make sure you have safe equipment especially the bar/lines.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:22 am

^^Yeah, what they said. (Almost) All modern kites are pretty similar, but (and the Razor is my favorite/most ridden kite) the Razor is definitely one of the few I wouldn't recommend to a beginner. The first word that sprung to my mind when I rode it initially was "vicious." The performance is awesome, but it's extremely unforgiving of mistakes.

As for the Rise, a 7 year old kite is just a bag of headaches waiting to happen. Avoid it like the plague. I'm extremely experienced with repairs and I wouldn't pay more than a dollar for that kite no matter how good it looked. Okay, maybe $5.

hudstur
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Delray Beach, Florida
Boca Raton, FL
Boynton Beach, FL
Lighthouse Point, FL
Favorite Beaches: Delray Beach, FL
Hood River, OR
Floras Lake, OR
Cape Hatteras, NC
Napeague, NY
Bahamas
Kauai, Hawaii
Canada, PEI & Georgian Bay
Traverse City, MI
La Ventana, Mexico
Cabarete, DR
Florida Keys
Style: Directional Waves, Freeride, Foilboard
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 10-12-14m, OR Duke and OR Mako 150, OR Session 3 harness, OR Control Bars.
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby hudstur » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:31 pm

You may like the Ocean Rodeo Prodigy or Flite for a good brand that stands behind their product.

tommeltot
Medium Poster
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: Ocean Rodeo, Ride Engine and Slingshot.

Postby tommeltot » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:35 pm

The Ocean Rodeo Prodigy is a really nice, easy to use, re-launch and stable kite with great top and bottom ends. I have 7 and 9.5 m at 67 kilos. I use them more and more now with an Ocean Rodeo Mako Duke kiteboard 'strapless.' I'm having a lot of fun with this set-up!

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:18 am

OR Razor is not for beginners!

sabraxas
Frequent Poster

Postby sabraxas » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:05 pm

OR Rise 2010 was a very special kite, definitely a headache for begineers, very unstable, prone to collapsing and hindemburg. A 0-1-0 bar sensation and very fast. Two or three years of use from 0km and have to glue all valves in One pump system, a really nightmare.

BrunoC
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: OBX
Style: Freeride
Gear: various

Postby BrunoC » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:44 pm

I am just going to chime in to reinforce most of what was already said.

Check out the prodigy and if you're going to buy used, only by one or two-year-old kites with a know history. I started out riding worn out kites that were four years old and within three months I traded them all in for brand-new equipment and I progressed quickly from there.

The prodigy will get you where you need to go and you will not outgrow it. That said, except for my light wind 12 m flight, I ride the razor Tons of fun but not the best option for a new rider.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: 2008 Best Waroo 9m
OR Razor 12m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Space Pickle
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:07 pm

Agree completely. I love my 12m Razor but you have to "stay ahead of it". 12m Flite is amazing and will help a beginner stay upwind. Nothing wrong with a 12m Prodigy either.

Return to “Kitesurfing”