Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Drag launch tips, line tangle

Forum for kitesurfers
dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Drag launch tips, line tangle

Postby dylan* » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:30 pm

I just picked up a 2016 envy 12m and though the kite is awesome, about 50% (or more) of the time doing my usual drag self launch the front line gets caught on the wingtip and causes the kite to start deathlooping. I usually just flag it out after 2 or 3 loops since it doesn't usually untangle.

I've never had a kite do this before, does anyone have any tips on how to help keep this from happening? I already open the kite wingtip up a little into the wind, and make sure the lines are totally straight behind the kite as I drag the kite around and upwind. It's right as it rolls up to launch that it seems to catch. I've been drag launching for like 5 years so it's not exactly a new technique to me.

I know there are other ways to launch, I've been filling my bag with sand and doing tethered launches but that's just one more thing to have to do if it's not necessary.
Last edited by dylan* on Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Drag launch tips, rear line tangle

Postby Bushflyr » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:54 pm

Don't rig downwind with the lines behind your kite. Rig straight upwind in front of your kite. Then lift the kite over your lines and move about 20' or so across the window. So if the wind is coming from S rig with the kite at N and your bar S. Then lift the kite over the lines and move it to ~NE making sure all the lines go behind the kite. Rotate the kite so the rear wingtip is just catching the wind, but not too much. Then as you walk straight back (S or SW) the kite will rotate up and launch. The wind blows the lines back away from the kite if there is any slack in them so you pretty much can't get a line looped over a tip. Obviously switch E and W depending on your beach.

I rig a little differently, but this video gives the general gist of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2W4fNVq6S4
Last edited by Bushflyr on Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:55 pm

What if you tripped and fell while deathlooping ?
Buy a beach anchor if you have nothing to tie it too :)

SLiiCK
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Pembrey South Wales
Favorite Beaches: Exmouth
Pembrey
Fuerteventura
Cape Verde Ponta Preta
Hayle
Style: All
Gear: Naish/F One/Slingshot/Airush/Eclipse

Postby SLiiCK » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:45 pm

I had the same problem with my Naish Park HD never had it with my previous Parks self launch 90% of the time for over 17 years now,the problem I had was that tip nearest to me e.g. If launching stood to the left of my kite the left hand wing tip line would catch on the knot on the kite attaching the left hand front flying line and would not release when the kite took to the air causing the kite to immediately loop over to the left either hitting the ground or carrying through the loop meaning I would have to hit the safety, I over came this by pulling the front left hand bridal and line out in front of the kite, I rig the kite the same way as Bushflyr mentioned and it solved thus problem not sure if it's the same issue with your kite but hope this might help.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:18 am

I have had that happen if you drag perpendicular to wind, I think if you open kite a bit and make sure you drag 5 to 10 degree downwind first so the lines are away from wingtip then the kite rotate and opens up then you can walk upwind to launch.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:32 am

have you tried doing a reverse launch? If the line is caught just barely under the wing, a reverse launch will pull it free, while a regular launch will give you a death loop. In a drift launch I usually put it into the reverse launch position first, pop it an inch or two off the water just to check for a wrap, then if there is one you can sometime fix it by pulling a line. Once you are actually launched tho you have to fire the QR.

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:37 am

jeromeL wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:18 am
I have had that happen if you drag perpendicular to wind, I think if you open kite a bit and make sure you drag 5 to 10 degree downwind first so the lines are away from wingtip then the kite rotate and opens up then you can walk upwind to launch.
Nailed it! Just make sure your bridles are cleared and take a slightly more downwind approach before pulling lines tight.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Re: Drag launch tips, line tangle

Postby dylan* » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:06 am

I haven't considered rigging up upwind. That might just keep the lines clear until the kite is flipped all the way around. I'll give that a try, thanks.

And yeah the lines are always totally fine, I make sure bridles are laid out nicely, they get snagged as I'm pulling it around 90 degrees.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:11 am

dylan* wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:06 am
I haven't considered rigging up upwind.
:o Not to bash you, but this is really frightening. Beach conditions permitting it's MUCH easier and safer to rig upwind. Scary that instructors are only teaching downwind rigging. By laying out upwind you greatly reduce the chances of getting tangles, picking up death twigs, and abrading your lines as you walk all the way around your kite. Also, on crowded beaches you're already in position to launch rather than having to wander through 40m of kites and lines on the beach. Simply lay out your bar in riding position, run your lines down to the kite, pull the bridles out in front of the leading edge, and hook them all up. No need to walk around, flip the bar or anything, just pick up the kite and go. Super easy. 8)

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:23 am

I disagree, I think it's much easier and less error-prone to rig behind the kite. But I won't try to convince you. Rig however you want.

Return to “Kitesurfing”