Gear: Cabrinha and Naish
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Airush Lithium vs Cabrinha Swiftblade - Opinios

Postby sociii » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:17 pm

tegirinenashi wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:27 pm
sociii wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:16 am
But aren't both kites advertised as all rounders? From what I understand reading their info on the relevant websites they both seems prety much all rounders..
To justify multiple product lines kite vendors list some flying attributes -- how well does kite perform in certain areas. Needless to say, this is entirely subjective, and you just can't compare kites from different companies based on these "info". For Airrush lithium they claim "forward speed"=8. For cabrinha it most likely matches to "boosting" (which slider is maxed). Curiously, Airrush has boosting attribute for union, but not for lithium(!) -- that should tell you something too.

To reiterate my earlier message, the performance of kite is determined by its shape. If two kites are similar in shape they would fly similarly. (This assertion has obvious exceptions, like making one kite twice as heavy, or messing up its bridle). Airrush union is much closer in shape to switchblade, which would translate into similar flying characteristics. Airrush lithium has noticeably "fatter" profile, which improves some characteristics, but diminishes the others.
Ok I get it more now.
However I am still confused on what I should choose. To be honest since I am a beginner and haven't got much experience it is probably impossible to choose due to lack of knowledge and comparison with other kites previously used. However, although I might feel slightly intimidated by fast turning kites I might go with Lithium since I am think if I learn with a slower turning kite I will later still weird going to a faster turning one.

sociii
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016

Postby sociii » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:18 pm

dazarter wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:44 pm
Have never tried the switchblade but had litiums in 8 10 and 12qm a very good kite indeed, with a ton of power and control....i cannot really see many kites pulling more power than the lithium and it does everything perfectly including drifting, jumping etc....a super kite in aspects my kites just good to old and i wanted a change :-)
Yes my local kite shop says Lithium is pretty good on almost everything. Hard to choose really..

magnusod
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: One Eye, Manawa, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: FOne Mitu, North Nugget CSC, Airush Wave, Naish Pivot

Postby magnusod » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:31 am

sociii wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:18 pm
dazarter wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:44 pm
Have never tried the switchblade but had litiums in 8 10 and 12qm a very good kite indeed, with a ton of power and control....i cannot really see many kites pulling more power than the lithium and it does everything perfectly including drifting, jumping etc....a super kite in aspects my kites just good to old and i wanted a change :-)
Yes my local kite shop says Lithium is pretty good on almost everything. Hard to choose really..
You can't go wrong with any of them. Both are well refined kites that have been fine tuned for many years. One of the most long lasted models for a good reason. I've been riding both Switchblade and Lithium although this was a couple of years back. They are pretty similar although as some stated before there are some differences. I thought the Lithium was nicer as it's faster and softer in your hand with less bar pressure. Saying that I've heard from people using the newer Switchblades that they have improved a lot the last couple of years.

Switchblade is 5 struts and Lithium is 3 struts which make it a bit lighter and also more suited to the waves. The Switchblade should be a bit more stable in stronger winds. It's definitely Switchblade and Lithium which are comparable as a good allrounder. Union is for more experienced riders and more comparable with Cabrinha FX.

dancingwind
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: All over.
Favorite Beaches: Every beach is a good beach.
Style: Free/Wake style
Gear: Cabrinha SB/FX

Postby dancingwind » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:57 pm

Both kites are top notch. For a beginner though, I would go for the Switch Blade. It's more forgiving, super stable at all times and it's power delivery is very smooth. The SB is slower then the Lithium, but it isn't a slow kite. You can speed things up or slow them down by changing the attachment points on the kite, as well as by changing your hands placement on the bar. A very well balanced kite with impressive low end, you'll find yourself riding in almost no wind sometimes!

Nukin
Frequent Poster

Postby Nukin » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:34 pm

I ride Lithiums 6m / 8m / 10m and 12M and it is a good all around kite. Quick turning stable kite that jumps well. I would say it is a good all around kite for waves, flat water and learning new tricks.

I recently was on vacation and the rental place had Cabrinah Switchblades. It was a good kite but did feel much slower to react and turn than the Lithium. They probably used that kite to keep people from getting into trouble. It did have good power and when you pulled in on the bar you could feel the kite had a very sold boosting ability probably a better kite for outright boosting than the Lithium. But it did feel slow to turn and react.

Both are good in low winds and you should be happy on both, just a different feel. You can be a beginner on both and grow into them and be happy!

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:59 pm

People say the switchblade is more beginner friendly because it is less responsive, but it is totally personal.

I had the exact opposite experience when learning; one instructor taught on a switchblade and another one something else. I found the switchblade very difficult to control because the mushy, disconnected feeling at the bar prevented me from feeling like I was in control. I found it very hard to fly because I would move the bar and feel like nothing was happening, so I'd move the bar some more and the kite would shoot down and crash. As soon as I got on a different kite that was more responsive, it was 1000x easier and was up on the board in no time.

Some people like that feeling, so they choose to fly slow, unresponsive kites like the switchblade, rebel, etc. I still prefer a very direct-feeling (not necessarily fast) kite and still fly that style of kite after 5 or 6 years. So it's up to what you personally like and the only way to tell is to try it for a while and see, peoples opinions arent going to matter at all until you do. I bought a couple switchblades because of all the local hype around here, and ended up selling them at a $1000 loss after 3 months :D

sociii
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016

Postby sociii » Mon May 08, 2017 3:09 pm

So I have gone with the Switchblade (10m). I got it last weekend and tried it instantly on the water. The kite feels smooth, not as slow turning as some people might say (I like it as it is) and very predictable. In my opinion it feels like a great kite for a beginner like me, it gave me no troubles on controlling it and had loads of fun.

Return to “Kitesurfing”