sociii
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Gear: Cabrinha and Naish
Brand Affiliation: None

Airush Lithium vs Cabrinha Swiftblade - Opinios

Postby sociii » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:22 pm

Hi all,

Can someone compare for me Airush Lithium vs Cabrinha Switchblade.
What are the prons and cons of each and why?
At the moment I am considering as a beginner to buy the one of the other but I am not sure which one to choose. I can demo the Lithium on my local shop but I cannot demo Switchblade. The guy on the local shop says that Switchblade in his opinion is a fairly slow turning kite due to its fairly flat shape, so he likes Lithium more.
Since I am a beginner I have found some times that fast turning kites are intimidating so Switchblade might be better for me, but still I do not know since I am thinking I might regret it having a slow kite after I get used to ridding more confidently.
By the way the recommendation for me is a 12m.

Thank you.

Update: Fixed the typo of from Swiftblade to Switchblade. Also, by slow I meant how quickly it turns and moves in the air so I made it more specific on the post.
Last edited by sociii on Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Re: Airush Lithium vs Cabrinha Swiftblade - Opinios

Postby tegirinenashi » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:32 am

As your typo suggests, Cabrinha Switchblade is a swift, not slow kite. In fact, it was used once to set a speed record (that was before foils took over).

sociii
Rare Poster

Postby sociii » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:07 am

Hi tegirinenashi,

Sorry for the typo, I just realised I am calling it the wrong name. I have updated my post with the correct name. If an admin can also change the typos on the title I would appreciate it.
Also by slow I mean, slow in turning, not slow as in the speed you can get when ridding. I also updated my post to reflect that better.
Sorry for the confusion.

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Crazy Fly Addict, Naish Pivot, Crazyfly Raptor LTD, North Rebel, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:39 am

Switchblade is more beginner friendly but If I have to choose between the two, I choose the lithium nine out of ten times.

Lithium is a little faster and requires a little more active input than the switchblade in my opinion. But I like faster kites.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tegirinenashi » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:07 am

By looking into Airrush Lithium profile photo
https://www.thekiteboarder.com/2017/02/ ... h-lithium/
it seems to be a low-medium AR kite. Therefore it would indeed turn faster.

However,, you are comparing two kites it two different categories: "wave" and "performance" kites. The proper competitor for switchblade is Airush Union:
https://www.thekiteboarder.com/2017/02/ ... ush-union/

sociii
Rare Poster

Postby sociii » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:16 am

tegirinenashi wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:07 am
By looking into Airrush Lithium profile photo
https://www.thekiteboarder.com/2017/02/ ... h-lithium/
it seems to be a low-medium AR kite. Therefore it would indeed turn faster.

However,, you are comparing two kites it two different categories: "wave" and "performance" kites. The proper competitor for switchblade is Airush Union:
https://www.thekiteboarder.com/2017/02/ ... ush-union/
But aren't both kites advertised as all rounders? From what I understand reading their info on the relevant websites they both seems prety much all rounders..
I have considered the Union but I do not think is suitable for a begginer as it seems to need more input from the rider than a beginner would be comfortable with.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:28 pm

the lithium is much lighter and faster turning kite

when i was learning i personally hated the switchblade because it was so slow/unresponsive, but that was a few generations ago and there have been refinements since then. some people also like that feeling because the mushy feeling hides your mistakes

once you are better, the switchblade is a lot better at jumping and is a better all-around kite in general, imo

as a beginner you cant really go wrong with either though

palmbeacher
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Amsterdam, Zandvoort
Style: Hydrofoil + big air
Gear: Cabrinha, MHL Lift

Postby palmbeacher » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:38 pm

I own several Switchblades and had a 10m Airush Lithium last season. I felt it had a lot less power than the SB, it was faster but more comparable to a SB 8 or 9m.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tegirinenashi » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:27 pm

sociii wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:16 am
But aren't both kites advertised as all rounders? From what I understand reading their info on the relevant websites they both seems prety much all rounders..
To justify multiple product lines kite vendors list some flying attributes -- how well does kite perform in certain areas. Needless to say, this is entirely subjective, and you just can't compare kites from different companies based on these "info". For Airrush lithium they claim "forward speed"=8. For cabrinha it most likely matches to "boosting" (which slider is maxed). Curiously, Airrush has boosting attribute for union, but not for lithium(!) -- that should tell you something too.

To reiterate my earlier message, the performance of kite is determined by its shape. If two kites are similar in shape they would fly similarly. (This assertion has obvious exceptions, like making one kite twice as heavy, or messing up its bridle). Airrush union is much closer in shape to switchblade, which would translate into similar flying characteristics. Airrush lithium has noticeably "fatter" profile, which improves some characteristics, but diminishes the others.
Last edited by tegirinenashi on Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dazarter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: kiel
Favorite Beaches: Somewhere in France
Style: freeride
Gear: Gaastra pure 2016 13, 10, 8m
crazy fly raptor pro 142x42 seaflight wave

Postby dazarter » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:44 pm

Have never tried the switchblade but had litiums in 8 10 and 12qm a very good kite indeed, with a ton of power and control....i cannot really see many kites pulling more power than the lithium and it does everything perfectly including drifting, jumping etc....a super kite in aspects my kites just good to old and i wanted a change :-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”