Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New York

Postby deniska » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:30 pm

bri7 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:59 pm
We'd probably be living close to Brooklyn if we went.

Cheers for the post JL much appreciated. Yeah I guessed I would be pretty much giving up the mountains as a lifestyle and back to the coast / beach bum again ;-)

I live at the bottom of the Jura now, at least there is the potential for a ski trip within distance.

Good to know there is a kite scene I will check out the links.

Just an idea for now and I want to at least know it ticks a box or two before committing to a move. I only just got used to living here :D
I live in Brooklyn, 10 minutes away from 3 spots, covering 95% of all wind directions.
I think I had more than 110 days on the water last year (going though my woo logs)
It's not Tarifa or Cabarete, but we do get some moderate wind. The most common kite size is 12m. During fall/winter and spring it's not uncommon to see a 9m. A few times a year you get to use a 7m. Usually not crowded. I think I counted 40 kites once, but usually it's around 10-20 per site.
Yesterday there were only 4 people at Floyd Bennett Field..
I snapped a photo of a friend there:
18033982_1565054903506981_1477907847909333793_n.jpg
Skiing and snowboarding is not that great around NYC: too crowded and usually icy (unless you catch some good snowfall)
2 hours of driving to Hunter mountain (anything closer are really just hills), 5-6 hours to better locations upstate or in Vermont.
We get to snow kite once or twice a year in Brooklyn, whenever a storm brings a few feet of snow :-)
15894339_1436826386329834_1392838322438984183_n.jpg
But I usually fly to Rockies (Utah, Colorado) and scratch my skiing itch there.. Utah, imho, has the best snow on this side of the planet.

AirConnolly
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Eastern Long Island
Gear: Cabrinha and Slingshot

Postby AirConnolly » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:57 pm

Good point, Halloi. I should have clarified transportation. Your set up looks pretty good. I've seen guys in Penn with surfboards headed to LB or on the A train headed to rock, and it looks terrible.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:11 am

If you are living in NY it's only a matter of time before you move to Florida. May as well save yourself some time and just move straight there!

Major Holley
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Normandie, France
Gear: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Major Holley » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:56 pm

bri7 wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:53 am
Just doing a bit of research if we move to New York at some point in the future as to the local kitesurf spots etc. Any info on Mountain Biking, snowboarding etc would also be awesome.

Currently living in Geneva, Switzerland, 1.5 hrs drive from multiple ski resorts (will swap for kite spots) & walking distance to kite spot. kiting here is very flaky, irregular.

So basically I snowboard more now than kiting but will happily swap that for more kiting.
I spent several years in NYC (I'm french), great city to work and live in. When I was there, I could ride 5-7 days/year and it was amazing.
Several shops organize day trips to upstate NY or Vermont (respectively 2 & 4h by bus).
Typically : wake up at 3.30am - shower - walk to the pick up location (you meet the night/drunk crowd with you snowboard gear on the shoulders (and exchange joke) - bus at 4.30am - sleep - ride (8.45am-4pm) - bus leaves at 4.30pm -back in the city at 8.30pm - restaurant/bar at 9pm with friends.
Price was $80-100 (ski pass and transportation).
I only went to the Vermont resorts (Mt Snow, Okemo, Stratton), and they were perfect for a day trip. It is not Chamonix, La Grave or you favorite spot, but it is good, specially afre a snowfall). If you like snow parks, you'll love them even more.

I am also a road/track bike cyclist, and riding a bike in NYC is one of the most exciting thing I have done in my life (get a fixed gear bike, remove the brake and you are set!). They are tons of cyclists in NYC, I am pretty sure there are plenty of MTN bikers and opportunities to ride in the NY area. Central Park has a 10k road, pretty convenient after work and there is a long bike path on the west side.

Major Holley
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Normandie, France
Gear: None

Postby Major Holley » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:00 pm

More info here
http://www.glenwoodnyc.com/manhattan-li ... day-trips/
(My day trips were organized by Emilio Ski Shop, according to the link above they have been doing it for >50years!)

bri7
Medium Poster
Gear: Slingshot

Postby bri7 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:06 pm

awesome thanks guys

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:42 pm

dylan* wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:11 am
If you are living in NY it's only a matter of time before you move to Florida. May as well save yourself some time and just move straight there!
lol, is there even wind in Florida? Looks mostly light wind.
Traveled a few times in January but haven't been lucky wind wise, always miss it by a few days.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:22 pm

jeromeL wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:42 pm
dylan* wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:11 am
lol, is there even wind in Florida? Looks mostly light wind.
Traveled a few times in January but haven't been lucky wind wise, always miss it by a few days.
same experience.. keep going to east cost (Jax, Delray,ft Lauderdale) every year with same results: only pullout 17, but maybe it's just my luck and timing...
Also looking at used foil boards and huge size kites at Classifieds: good bulk of them comes from Florida :-D

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:16 pm

Well it was mostly a joke, because like 95% of the population of florida is from NY (it's jokingly referred to as the sixth borough)

but to answer your question, yes there is wind, but probably one of the worst places to try to plan a kite trip to since most of it is from frontal systems that are inconsistent. Definitely a lot of light wind, I ride a 12m for around 80% of my sessions. 15% on the 10m 5% on the 7m this season, with a surfboard. 10-12 knots most days of the summer if you're into foiling.

AirConnolly
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Eastern Long Island
Gear: Cabrinha and Slingshot

Postby AirConnolly » Wed May 03, 2017 12:06 pm

New York was epic yesterday afternoon. I hope everyone got out there.

Return to “Kitesurfing”