Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Long Island Kiteboarding

Postby jeromeL » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:03 pm

skideeppow wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:19 pm
heading out to south hampton AUg 23rd. I dont ride large kites, mostly ride in the gorge. I do foil. Any ideal foiling spots out on in this area?
Napeague, is kind of shallow though people do foil there on short/medium mast.
Most people launch at Lazy point, got to park before dirt road to avoid fine.

Some guys with 4x4 access drive on the other side Napeague harbor in Hither hills and just foil Nappeague bay, though you coudl probalby drive to one of the road that take you to main napeague Bay, instead of going to the 4x4 area...

Join Northeast Kite group on facebook, a lot of guys drive out east over weekend and knows the spots

michikite
Rare Poster
Gear: Core XR. 8m & 12m
Been thanked: 0

Postby michikite » Wed May 20, 2020 5:11 pm

what are the kite rules in napeague bay? is that covered by the new york state park kite ban?

Wesleyp
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 155
Local Beach: Great South Bay
Gear: Cabrihna

Postby Wesleyp » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:41 pm

Hey , new to this forum trying to get back into kiteboarding. I live in Lindenhurst on the water, 10 minutes by boat from many great n popular kite spots . I have all my own gear but am still very much a beginner and need a buddy to go kite with but don’t know anyone. I have a boat in my back yard and am available to go kite most of the time . Looking to make friends and learn kite tips n tricks . More then happy to take anyone out on boat to kite spots for exchange in kite knowledge. Really just need someone to help me launch n land kite . Anyone want to become friends lol ?

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:02 am

Definitely check out NYKite, John is the starting point for so many people's kite journeys on long island, and gives you access to the bay.

After that, there's the NYC Kiteboarding whats app group, and then the facebook groups I see mentioned above.

Gear recommendations probably require a bit more understanding of what you're trying to do, but generally you need bigger kites for the summer ( 13m to 17m) and smaller kites for the fall (7 to 12m).

I'm 215lbs, and I started with 17m and 19m kites to be able to get out the most amount possible, I also rode a directional surfboard because bigger boards help a lot in lighter wind.

Welcome to the club, long island has some incredible kiting, it just takes a bit more exploring to figure it out :)

Foil Rider
Rare Poster
Weight: 200
Gear: Slingshot foils/kites/boards, Custom Windsurf foil Board/Ezzy Sails

Postby Foil Rider » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:04 pm

What ever happened to the Long Beach crew? Seems like it was pretty popular there for a bit. A few weeds ago I was there (not kiting) it was pretty windy, and not a soul on the water.

Return to “Kitesurfing”