Kiteboarding marketing

forum for kitesurfers

kite252
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Re: Kiteboarding marketing

Postby kite252 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:26 pm

Another thought:

Would you buy gear because of a glossy mag add, or a big movie sponsor (such as chapter one where guys are doing rad tricks) or even Liam winning the world tour on Cabrinha or buy something because you friend likes his ____ kite and he and you are similar riding levels so that input is more valuable than anything presented to you marketing done by a brand. You may not be riding Jaws, doing a triple handle pass, or megalooping at 50 feet, so is that still influential seeing the potential form a brand? I imagine you will not be buying a "C" kite like most people ride on the world tour. But does a Slinghshot Fuel or a Cabrinha Choas help sell you on another model from their line that would work better for your personal riding?

palmbeacher
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Palm Beach
Style: Hydrofoil + big air
Gear: Cabrinha, Tona, Slingshot Ghostwhisperer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby palmbeacher » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:52 pm

kite252 wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:23 pm
Also Palmbeacher, thank you for the more detailed breakdown. Good point that different brands do an equally good job in different ways. Which one of these do you think is more important? Sponsoring big projects, such as Chapter 1 or best brand ambassadors and social media presence? I also believe Mystic as great marketing, but they were not the sole sponsor of the movie. I believe Cabrinha, Naish and others where behind it as well...(I could be wrong)
I personally think brand ambassadors and social media presence can have a bigger impact. Cabrinha has brought together a great team from different disciplines, such as Nick Jacobsen (Big Air), Evan Netsch (Wave), James Boulding (Freestyle), Damien Leroy (Freeriding). I have met most of them and they are super inclusive in everything they do, which also makes it easier to relate to them. Some parts of Chapter1 felt a bit elite and too much about the individuals rather than kiteboarding. I would never buy a special edition Adam Hadlow or Len10 kite, but I did buy a Maui Cloud after seeing Greg's videos. Authenticity is important.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Slappysan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:18 am

Best kiteboard marketing are the Tom's Kitchen videos by North & Tom Hibert. NewCal style!

Return to “Kitesurfing”