Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Re: Ozone Enduro v2 ? are we there yet?

Postby Kitemanmuc » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:26 pm

GreggerKBR wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:07 pm
Our new 8, 10, 12 Enduro V2s arrived Thursday and I got 6+ hours on them on Saturday.
I deliberately took the 12 out in 8m conditions, and the 8m out in 12m conditions. And then went nuts on the 10m with TT boosting for days and then 8m + Surfboard.
Ear to ear grins - the whole day. Put simply, the most capable and balanced kite I've had the joy to fly. Plenty of elegantly balanced power, it'll compliment your abilities without rubbing your nose in it - it's the business! So a new 6m is now on order!

Wind range is excellent, on both sides. It's very capable of dragging you upwind in light conditions. And on the other end it deals with being loaded very well, nicely balanced, smooth, well mannered which makes you comfortable and happy to get engaged with it.
Background context - our quiver currently includes Enduro V1 Edge V8s, 4x F-one Bandits, & C4 V6. We'll keep our 15m Edge as a light wind and landboarding option, but will now sell the rest as the versatility of the Enduro make the rest redundant. The Edges are great, send & go boost, super fast, smooth & float is so accessible. The C4 when flown confidently is an animal, the Bandits are not that dissimilar in how you access the boost, the problem is finding confidence to give it them sufficiently stern steering.

The BIG Q? Could I tell or at least reflect on the differences between V1 & V2?
A tentative yes, it's a bit faster, boost a bit better, bit more eagerly, and the float is closer to Edge in manners.
I thought when in FR mode it had a bit more drive, seemed to stick it's nose upwind and pinned it's ears back a bit. Nice feature to have!
In the waves and riding down the line I couldn't really say it was any better, it seems easier to pick it back up when it had been left at the extremes of the window, but this could be conditions more than the kite, hard to say as I'm not that good in waves and not had sufficient time comparing V1 s V2. I regret I do NOT have the skills and credentials of many of our expert kiters, especially in waves. But I'm competent enough at freeride, wave & landboarding, I'm still beginner at freestyle and total novice at foiling. So we want/need kites that I can share with my wife and cross all disciplines, and I'm sure we'll end up snowkiting at some point too. We need a quiver that covers our different styles (Mrs Sickly Smooth and Mr Wang-It) and mass/weight, 50kg vs 85kg.

To me, kiting is fun when you are progressing, getting more dialled in, adding a tweak, or rotation, adding a loop etc. When you are challenging your fears and breaking into new levels. It's not fun when you're battling conditions, under/over powered or fearful/unsure of the kite. I noticed loads of others moaning about conditions and leaving the beach, but I was having the time of my life. They went in because the wind dropped but I was still sending it on the 10m? Very odd.

Progression
My wife is a smooth kiter, doesn't have a massive array of tricks but she makes what she does look inspiringly easy. I was a witness to her sending the kite way harder than normal, getting huge toes to heelside carves; afterward she said as she felt it was so well mannered she was more aggressive with it. Was that the V2 or just a "I've got a new kite thinking"... maybe? Her jumps looked smoother (and much higher) and she was definitely getting more hang time, especially in her rotations. We both commented about how comfortable you feel under the kite, it doesn't float straight downwind as far as the Edge does as it goes up more vertically to start with, but the float and descent is smile-inducingly smoother - a real "confidence booster" (pun intended).

Personally I haven't done a darkslide in the UK for ages (more to do with finding space and flat spots), but within an hour on the V2 I was dialled in and popping out of sweet DS with smooth easy loops. I'd added a new grab to my FR, was looping my BL trannies much earlier than usual. I've always struggled boosting on goofy side, more with the landing than getting in the air. But for some reason I was landing like a butterfly with sore feet on both sides, super smooth touchdowns. I'm confused on why this is, but I like it, and my knees like it a lot! So I started adding late heli-loops and downloops and I was blown away.

I recall one particular jump I lost my edge, and the jump was flattened out and I landed super fast, I knew I was in trouble, just trying to keep myself upright, I was fully expecting to outrun the kite and have that dreaded line slack then inverted kite scenario. When I got my eyes back on the kite it had drifted down with me and was just saying, "yeah, I saw that you fool, no worries, can we go now?" Whew. Downloop at edge of window, carve it out, ride away. Happy days!

I'm usually a strictly hooked-in rider and have been trying to muster up the minerals to progress into unhooking - and I did, on my brand new kite, and I didn't drop the kite once. So progress wise I got more out of this one day than I have in the last 3 years.

What I'm saying is Ozone have nailed it, the V2 is incredible, I'm a huge fan. Can't fault it. Wish they hadn't put the prices up and although Ozone do give you bits I wish it had a waterproof bag.

I wouldn't say it's heaps better than the V1 or anything, as they're so similar (obv.), maybe that's why the V2 feels so good, the start point, the blueprint/platform is so Ozone, so V1 that we felt so dialled in right away. Hard to tell someone who loves the V1 that they need to upgrade, I couldn't say. But they should definitely go test a V2 for themselves. OZ have made a better kite, but that doesn't make the V1 a bad kite - the fact that changes are so subtle basically says the mark 1 version was a solid machine! Kiting skill & style is a lot more about developing your touch with the kites you fly than having the newest but of tech, but if you want something new, or something to really help you nail your tricks even better... get your hands on a V2 for an hour or two.

Personally I'm all smiles, I think the V2 is an absolute belter, I'd take this quiver anywhere to do anything.
As I said, I've owned North Evo's, become very attached to F-one Bandits and flown C4s, Edges, Dice's, Flexi etc. and there's nought wrong with them.
But if you like how Ozone's fly, this is the kite for you. My trumpet is now blown.

And I haven't even raved about the double-stitching, build quality, the new bag, new pump... etc.
How would you compare the boosting of the Enduro to the Edge?

Pana
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 200 lbs
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paracuru, Santa Veronica
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Pana » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:58 pm

Hi,

Got a couple of sessions on the 8m and 9m V2 in the last week. Have 14,12,10 and 6m in V1 to reference + 8m 2015 Cat.

In short the feel is essentially the same, smooth, predictable, confidence building. Appart from minor construction differences (strut profile and edges of main + batten in the edge strap) it is the same kite. Got the feeling the tip curve, and trailing edge profile was tweaked stemming from the fact I found the v2 to flap less when shooting accross the window unloaded in onshore wave riding. Would need to overlay a v1 to see if it is impressions only. Same turning speed for me. My girlfriend did not feel any differences from the V1, and loves the kites, so do I.

We appreciate the ability of the Enduros to adjust the setting from FR to Wave, it does make a difference. In very gusty conditions the wave setting calms things down a notch and increases the margin of error significantly. I suggest novice & intermediates use that setting to maximise confidence. The freestyle setting we did not like ( with the v1). In waves, on wave setting, I tried trimming ( V1) to the max my 12 m for the surfing part once on the Cabarete reef and was stunned how well the kite performed. A light wind TT wave (Nomad) session saver.

I have a question for the Ozone gurus; in wave mode there is a slight loss of power ( I presume from the shortening of the front bridal) is it recommended to attach the back lines to the front knot to compensate ? Anyone tried this ? I want to test but keep forgetting.

Cheers,

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:05 pm

Excellent user information Pana, especially regarding the bridle setting options and what actually happens.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:57 am

Pana wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:58 pm
(...)
I have a question for the Ozone gurus; in wave mode there is a slight loss of power ( I presume from the shortening of the front bridal) is it recommended to attach the back lines to the front knot to compensate ? Anyone tried this ? I want to test but keep forgetting.

Cheers,
Not a guru, but from experimenting a few times with this setting, the loss of power seems to come from a profile that is not as efficient, as if a bit choked/crippled. And that cannot be compensated by more backline tension (trim) or more bar pressure (wingtip setting). Because I tend to ride in the low end range of a kite when on a surfboard, and need efficiency and acceleration, this is essentially a no-no for me. But your comment makes me want to revisit that setting on a day where it's strong and gusty, instead of downsizing.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:36 pm

bragnouff wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:57 am
Pana wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:58 pm
(...)

Cheers,
Not a guru, but from experimenting a few times with this setting, the loss of power seems to come from a profile that is not as efficient, as if a bit choked/crippled. And that cannot be compensated by more backline tension (trim) or more bar pressure (wingtip setting). Because I tend to ride in the low end range of a kite when on a surfboard, and need efficiency and acceleration, this is essentially a no-no for me. But your comment makes me want to revisit that setting on a day where it's strong and gusty, instead of downsizing.
Am interested in this because my Enduro V2's are due to arrive next month.

Also, am I right in thinking that there won't be any problems using my current 17"/23m and 20"/23m Slingshot Compstick Sentinel bars with the Enduros? (Other than perhaps switching pigtails around).

alford
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alford » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:56 pm

iriejohn, I believe you are fine with the SS bars.
Do keep us updated on how you like them. What sizes did you go with?
Anyone familiar with the 14m V1 or 2?

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:11 pm

alford wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:56 pm
iriejohn, I believe you are fine with the SS bars.
Do keep us updated on how you like them. What sizes did you go with?
Anyone familiar with the 14m V1 or 2?
'Cos I'm an old git I'm going with 6/8/10/12 because I do like 2m gaps on the Mitu 5' 8", and of course on the TT it's also nice.

<edit> have seen the next post and should mention that I'm 81kg
Last edited by iriejohn on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Popstartotty
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hayling
Style: Powered free ride waves
Gear: Naish / Shinn
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Popstartotty » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:01 pm

Yes I have 7/9/11/14m V1s. The 14m is great, not the fastest out there but fast enough, bags of fun up to 20kn on a TT for me (91kg). It unhooks well. Will loop in transitions well, and at a push is just about tenable in waves, though it's just a bit big for that, although I've done in it barbados and Boa Vista. Like all the other sizes it's direct, meaty, but forgiving if you need it. Jumps well for an open C. Been huming and haing over new V2 but after reading these (very helpful and blissfully troll free) comments will just have to go for it.

Do you have a barbados connection per chance irie john? 8)

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:33 pm

Popstartotty wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:01 pm
Do you have a barbados connection per chance irie john? 8)
Yes, used to live there part time near Silver Sands/Long Beach.

And you?

alford
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alford » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:58 am

Is the Enduro similar to the SS rpm?

Return to “Kitesurfing”