Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Fin size

forum for kitesurfers

nicor
Frequent Poster

Fin size

Postby nicor » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:43 pm

I've ordered up a new surfboard. It comes naked. So I need to get some fins.

It will be a quad set up. And I'm going more for speed control, so will be flat foil...etc

Anyways, I was just going to go with a medium size, but I realize that I'm not sure whether I should be going bigger or smaller. In kiting we use our boards in a differnnt way than surfers. We edge going up wind and we generate power from the kite.

Any thoughts on how to choose size of fins?

I'm about 180 pounds (78kg) and this board can be used from 15 to 35 knots, small waves and lake chop.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Habo Ljung, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards 5-0
TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 135
Moses Fluente 548/550/590/330/325
North Mono 7, 9, 12
Ozone Reo 5
Ozone Hyperlink 9UL
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Fin size

Postby TomW » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:38 pm

F4( if futures) medium or small. But if you want to geek out, it might depend on the actual board design.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: what works for the day

Postby PullStrings » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:52 pm

4 1/2 inch front...4 inches back
Pretty standard size in quad mode...can't really go wrong with that...buy complete set....below is just example in future base

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Bushflyr » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:00 pm

Look around for my posts on fins for my Vanguard. I went through a bunch of different fin setups, medium quad, small quad, large, med and small thruster. You're completely correct that we use our boards different from a surfer, if the board has a small tail you can get away with a medium fin set. If it's wider, like the VG, you're better off with a small set of fins. Because we have no need to create drive from the fins smaller is better. I get mine from Aliexpress. Way cheaper and you can afford to play with a bunch of different sizes without breaking the bank.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:31 pm

Bad news! You are going to go through some fin sets. Once you find one better, peddle the old one and keep trying to find better ones.

OR,

Learn the fins you have. Kiting allows you to adapt pretty well to any gear under you. You change your apporach instead of changing your kit. This has led me to some develop more interesting and less commonly expressed stylistic approaches in kiting.

So keep trying to get the right fin combo so you can ride just like the other guy, or learn what you can do with the weaknesses of the fins set you first put on your new board.

Return to “Kitesurfing”