Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Best bankrupt?

Postby halloi » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:14 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:58 pm
How do you know they are switching over to a "version" system instead of a year system?

I take it from their most recent ADs they put up online.
all showing V...

:bye:

Matt_TYRCZ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Virginia Beach , VA
Favorite Beaches: First Landing State Park, OBX
Style: booting, kiteloop, freestyle
Gear: CORE Kiteboarding, MYSTIC , CrazyFLy

Postby Matt_TYRCZ » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:48 pm

Best is done. somebody who actually care about kiteboarding and good quality needs to buy this company and fix it .
They were charging premium prices for garbage and no customer support .

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:42 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:57 pm
So............still no 2018 gear? Good that the shut down is going smoothly. Maybe some of the previous employee's that did not get paid will get some of the proceeds from your purchase! Hopefully it is not all going to legal fees and to pay off it's creditors before empoyee's.
All fine with me. 4 kites and two bars (all 2017) for less than 2000€ If best doesn't survive the warranty will be limited. So be it.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:09 am

Matt_TYRCZ wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:48 pm
Best is done. somebody who actually care about kiteboarding and good quality needs to buy this company and fix it .
They were charging premium prices for garbage and no customer support .
Best gear was very good and not expensive.
Any gear could be improved a bit but it was a great bang for a buck

Customer support helped me out when I needed, promptly

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:09 am

I use Best gear, and it was no worse than the higher priced brands. There were issues, though they were workable, or the same problems you would get elsewhere. But no reason for them to get expensive like they did in the latter years.

I guess I really don't have any brand loyalty for kites. Much like vehicles for me. But some are proven performers, others are proven junk - all within every brand.

halloi
Medium Poster
Gear: kites and boards

Postby halloi » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:28 am

my experience with best was exceptional, flawless customer service and a great product.
I am looking forward to purchasing more best gear in the future :mosh:

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:04 pm

yeah, gotta love those chicken loops just releasing with no input from the rider.

Best, the most ironic name in kiteboarding

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:11 pm

Tone wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:04 pm
yeah, gotta love those chicken loops just releasing with no input from the rider.

Best, the most ironic name in kiteboarding
Really? I have used, mostly, Best kites since 2006, starting with a quiver of Waroos. The hate against Best at that time from the "big" brands was palpable & understandable - it threatened their pricing monopoly on the market. Those first generation Waroos were great - better than the majority of first generation bow kites - & they lasted me (more or less) 5 years. As I recall, I paid between $350 & $450 US per kite - about 1/3 the price of the established brands. I later bought a 2010 12m Nemesis - it was a terrible kite. In the last 5 years I have been using Cabos. Very nice wave kites - I've paid between $250 & $400 per kite (some of them lightly used). I don't have "brand loyalty" - I've been happy with the Best products I've bought (except for that Nemesis) & continued to buy them because I've been able to get great deals on the kites.

I don't use Best bars, I use LQF bars, which have had plenty of complaints against them. In fact, that's the point: EVERY brand has had complaints against some of their products, some really bad issues, some more trivial. Best's record in that area has not been worse than most other brands.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:19 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:11 pm

Really? I have used, mostly, Best kites since 2006, starting with a quiver of Waroos. The hate against Best at that time from the "big" brands was palpable & understandable - it threatened their pricing monopoly on the market. Those first generation Waroos were great - better than the majority of first generation bow kites - & they lasted me (more or less) 5 years. As I recall, I paid between $350 & $450 US per kite - about 1/3 the price of the established brands. I later bought a 2010 12m Nemesis - it was a terrible kite. In the last 5 years I have been using Cabos. Very nice wave kites - I've paid between $250 & $400 per kite (some of them lightly used). I don't have "brand loyalty" - I've been happy with the Best products I've bought (except for that Nemesis) & continued to buy them because I've been able to get great deals on the kites.

I don't use Best bars, I use LQF bars, which have had plenty of complaints against them. In fact, that's the point: EVERY brand has had complaints against some of their products, some really bad issues, some more trivial. Best's record in that area has not been worse than most other brands.
2006 or 2007 or around there was when I left Best after buying probably a dozen kites (mostly early Nemesis and a BFK). Comparing the Waroo to the Boxer it wasn't even close IMO. I think I paid about $650 for the waroo tho.

...that said, I am sad to see how people slag on Best. They have had an impact on the industry and they made a lot of noise. I mean how much fun wasn't all the banter with SQ and Alex? Always something new: They did what now? Their infamous choose any color as long as the color is silver or what it ended up being...

I do think threads like this might hurt their chances of pulling through, which to me would be too bad. There is always a lot of hurt and actual pain behind companies going under.

EDIT: forgot word
Last edited by tautologies on Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:58 pm

I remember when they had the Waroo on a 3 for 2 deal and at the time that kite was amazing! all that depower meant it went to the moon! The last kite I owned by them was the Nemesis, I think 2008/9. Great kite. Since then they were a shit shower for kites. The latest TS seems good but the fact that I've seen so many QRs go pop for no reason means I have nothing good to say.

They were once really cutting edge but as soon as the business model cut in, they went to shit.

Return to “Kitesurfing”