Local Beach: Sydvestpynten - Denmark
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dakine c1 vs majestic x vs ride engine

Postby Giorgio » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:42 pm

Hi guys, prob this is partially answered already, please redirect me if so

A while ago I broke 2 lower ribs, now if i impact badly after a jump or kiteloop (especially landing side wise) the pain comes back and need to come out of water.
I know a doctor might help, but might as well not because he will tel me to rest and i will not listen.

I am riding with a size S mystic warrior which come all the way up to my tits... if i tighten it more, it will hurt on the hips.
I think the combination harness that comes up plus bad impacts really screws my ribs and create more problems than what i would get without a bad harness.

i am thinking trying a rigid harness; but here in Denmark it is not easy to try one on the water.

I have 2 questions:
do you reckon than a lower profile rigid harness would be a good bet?
and what should prevent me from choosing a dakine c1 compared to mystic mejestic X or ride engine, given that the first is almost half price?

Thanks for your help!

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com

Re: Dakine c1 vs majestic x vs ride engine

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:08 pm

The C1 gets better over time. It molds itself to you body over time. The Ride Engine will fit the same on the first day and a year later. That is not saying that is bad, just different. I like the C1 personally.

I have not ridden the Mystic.

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:11 am

If it hurts that bad maybe try a seat hasrness? Or some shorts with a built in hook until you can ride comfy in your waist harness.

Giorgio
Rare Poster

Postby Giorgio » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:56 am

Hi guys, thanks for replies.
After trying a few harnesses (in a shop), i can say that the most confy solution would be a rigid harness, but what is really the solution to rib issues is a seat harness-like. Short harnesses seems to have received good reviews by users and with sliding spreader bar it makes it a good solution. The problem is to see whether the lower position of the bar with a short-harness represents a challenge (for instance for unhooking).

I will probably get a ION B2 with a ION traveller spreader bar and the report back here on the results. I hope the ION traveller can fit the ION b2... if anyone has an answer to this please shoot.

Cheers,
Giorgio

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:57 am

I broke T12-13 years ago before kiting. Initially couldn't ride the Daikine seat harness since was cutting me straight into the ribs. Adjusted the internal legs straps to lower it even more. Heaps better but the straps are quite tight so...
Hate to go back to waist harness, even tho seat is very low so it affect the balance slightly. But my ribs are thanking me.

Giorgio
Rare Poster

Postby Giorgio » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:35 am

A quick update.
I have tried the ION B2 short-harness.
After one session I can say that it is the most comfortable thing for freeride and for some tricks (for instance hand-plant). Downsides are
1.for men: organise your family jewels properly (I had probs). I have tried to arrange the leg straps in a way they wouldn't interfere but they compressed the whole area and i feel the balls asking for help
2.it is difficult to do board-grabs (i ride boots and with the short-harness on i could hardly tight my boots once in the water, i could not reach them well enough)
3. I found it difficult to sheet out/sheet in to jump (I managed kind of half way) - it seams that your natural riding position is fully sheet-in, while normally I would be riding with the bar half way
4. weird baricenter before unhooking. I did manage some tricks - but generally the point of departure is quite different from waist harnesses.
I guess these are all stuff you can get used to. For freestylers this short will allow you to go to the water while healing from a rib injury but then waist harness again.

What i am looking for indeed it is a waist harness that is less likely to re-create the problem once i am healed. I am back to Look into rigid harnesses. I have tried (only on land) the mystic majestic x; i generally wear a small but i have asked the local dealer to try an extra small. The small still rides up when kite is a 12 and maybe a size smaller would help. It feels comfortable though, with a lot of soft padding around the parts that touch the ribs. If i find a solution i will share it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”