Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Lightwind Kite recommendations (Big guy)

Forum for kitesurfers
Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic
Brand Affiliation: None

Lightwind Kite recommendations (Big guy)

Postby Beardytello » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:18 pm

Hey!

I feel like I'm spamming the boards with my gibbering recently...sorry!

I'm a big person, on average around 110kg, sometimes a little more *ahem*

I'm looking into the possibility of picking up a big kite when the 2018 kites come out, 17 or 18m.

I have a North quiver at the moment so naturally I was looking at the 18m Juice, but I've never flown one.

I have flown a 17m Cabrinha Contra and liked it.

Does anyone know much about the Blade Fat Lady? There's a good deal on ebay for one with a bar at the moment.

Any other larger guys have any recommendations? I'm hoping to try and get some go in the 12-15 kt range as my 14 isn't quite cutting it.

PeaBody
Medium Poster
Style: Free-ride
Gear: Anything to fly

Re: Lightwind Kite recommendations (Big guy)

Postby PeaBody » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:00 pm

Don't have any recommendations for a bigger kite, but I would suggest having a look at a bigger board? Not just a big TT but a surfboard or something like the Shinnster or Paipo.. much cheaper than a kite and I think it helps to learn something new.

Beardytello
Frequent Poster

Postby Beardytello » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:32 pm

PeaBody wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:00 pm
Don't have any recommendations for a bigger kite, but I would suggest having a look at a bigger board? Not just a big TT but a surfboard or something like the Shinnster or Paipo.. much cheaper than a kite and I think it helps to learn something new.
Picked up a 6'11 Surfboard last week my man!

I still reckon a kite is needed though. I'm sure I'll get to the point with the surfboard and some skill where I can go out in 12kts with the 14 (especially if I carry on dieting :lol: ) but I don't think it would be much fun.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:53 pm

PeaBody wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:00 pm
This. IMO your kite needs go up exponentially and you're not going to enjoy slogging around on a massive slow kite doing nothing much. More fun to get a . . . fun different board and learn some other tricks.

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .
Has thanked: 0

Postby socommk23 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:59 pm

I keep thinking about more kites. Just because I like new toys. But recently If been out on my large tt, bought a surfboard, built a foil and won a small tt. I can get out in pretty much all conditions with one 10m lei and one 15m foil kite. Much cheaper approach to be honest.

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:16 pm

So your biggest existing kite is a 14 ? What line length do you run - have you tried adding 1"-15m line extensions ?

What sort of riding do you want to do in 12-15 knots ? Are you a all round freerider/ Cruiser, do you want to ride waves, Hydrofoil, jumping, wakestyle ??

The biggest kite I know of (and have owned) are the 21m Flysurfer's foil kites. They offer equivalent power to 23m in equivalent LEI terms, with ability to depower down to your 14m ... in other words the wind range is huge. But they are slower turning by all accounts so if kiteloops are your thing then this kite is not for you. But if you like airstyle and want unparalleled hang time (think paraglider-type experiences) and super fast setup (unroll, lay out lines and launch in under 2min) then massive foil kites are worth a try. 18 Sonic was more fun for me, with similar power. Any 18m Race foil would be fine.

I'm 85kg and regularly used my Speed 4 21 in up to 16-18 knots when I would change down to a 12. I needed help landing it but on the water it held the power fine. Now I'm hydrofoiling in around 10 knots with a 12m lei and 36m lines.... more than one way to ride the light stuff !

I've not ridden the Juice but a buddy rode the 15 a lot and liked it. I'd say it would be pretty good...
Last edited by Jzh_perth on Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beardytello
Frequent Poster

Postby Beardytello » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:45 pm

Jzh_perth wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:16 pm
So your biggest existing kite is a 14 ? What line length do you run - have you tried adding 1"-15m line extensions ?

What sort of riding do you want to do in 12-15 knots ? Are you a all round freerider/ Cruiser, do you want to ride waves, Hydrofoil, jumping, wakestyle ??
At the moment I'm on 22m lines, I haven't tried extensions no.

As for the type of riding I don't really know at the moment! I just want to get out as much as I physically can! I guess at the moment I'm an all round freerider / free crasher :lol:
Jumping appeals to me as well as some wave riding eventually, when I'm less shit.

EricSanders
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Metro Beach Detroit
Favorite Beaches: Tawas, OBX
Style: Freeride
Gear: Blade Trigger 7.0
LF NRG 10.0
Best Kahuna 13.5
Blade Fat Lady 17.0
Royal Rush 19.0
Pansh Aurora2 22m
Spleen door 164
OceanRodeo Mako King
Liquid Force Edge 146
Axis Vanguard 148
Axis Vanguard 136
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby EricSanders » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:22 pm

I have the 2015 Fat Lady and love it. I'm 215lb and use it with all three of my boards, (164 Spleen, Mako King, and 148 Vanguard).
It's my goto kite most of the time out here in the Detroit area where it seems the winds are predominantly 12-20 when in the right direction. It has a nice wind range and its shape lends itself to easy rotation on the water for easy relaunches real well.
Eric

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:28 pm

Take a look at the Ocean Rodeo Flite 17m. It has great pull in light winds, but turns on a dime, making it unlike most any other big kite. I'm 230 lbs and this is the kite that I personally own. This video is a few years old now, but we did a light wind review pitting a pile of big kites against each other and having locals test them out. It still holds pretty true today, IMHO. Hope this helps! :thumb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OootDRvjQNM

*Disclaimer: I sell these and many others...

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:29 pm

Consider putting the Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 m on your list.
Look for a previous video on big kites comparisons on Kiteforum and it was one of the favourites.

Return to “Kitesurfing”