Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2018 Naish kites

Postby tautologies » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:30 pm

Pellesurf wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:14 am
By the way, a totally different kind of question :) . High jumps ? It is nice lift in the Pivot and sometimes I ride with Woo on my twintip. My highest jump is 9.2 meters, but it feels difficult to get over 10 meters.
It also requires a good technique and guts to jump really high. How high do you jump with the Pivot, anyone over 10 meters?
In my head I've been way over 10. However I do not measure...so I have no idea..but maybe not.

For me to go high on the pivot I have to go loaded up. Ride as fast as I can crank the bar then sheet in pretty immediately. If I find a kicker that usually ends up on bonus height. Key is really to have good board speed while under control.

riddim1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Australia
Favorite Beaches: Spot X
Style: wave, foil
Gear: Naish, Firewire, Duotone, Lift

Postby riddim1 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:42 am

Hello All, I'm finding this thread very interesting. I too had the conundrum of choosing between the 2018 Pivots or Slash. I've ridden Pivots for 3-4 seasons now. I went with the Pivots initially as they had light and consistent power delivery in the turns and turned on its wing-tip comparatively quickly. This tended to suit my local conditions. I kite a SB in wind generated swell (very short wave length etc). I read a lot of varying performance reviews about the slash/pivots which only adds to confusion. I'm reading the new pivot doesn't drift very well, and yet that was how Naish trumpeted the Pivot back when it launched in 2014. Perhaps it's just that the slash does it marginally better? For wind swell I don't think drift will help me anymore than the pivot already does. I've also read the Slash has less power per comparative size and is more sensitive to wind speed variations ie. smaller envelope. I should have tested the Slash in hindsight but I did settle on a 2018 7m Pivot. I'm a creature of habit I guess. It does me on a 5.1 Vader from 17 thru 28-ish knots. The wind range is too good to look past. I'm very comfortable with a one kite quiver at the moment but will probably get a bigger size in the next year.

If I was a betting man, I'd put money on Naish reducing or nullifying altogether the wave capability of the Pivot in the next two seasons, making it more Freeride/hangtime. Conversely, I suspect the Slash will become more of an all-rounder.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:20 am

riddim1 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:42 am
Hello All, I'm finding this thread very interesting. I too had the conundrum of choosing between the 2018 Pivots or Slash. I've ridden Pivots for 3-4 seasons now. I went with the Pivots initially as they had light and consistent power delivery in the turns and turned on its wing-tip comparatively quickly. This tended to suit my local conditions. I kite a SB in wind generated swell (very short wave length etc). I read a lot of varying performance reviews about the slash/pivots which only adds to confusion. I'm reading the new pivot doesn't drift very well, and yet that was how Naish trumpeted the Pivot back when it launched in 2014. Perhaps it's just that the slash does it marginally better? For wind swell I don't think drift will help me anymore than the pivot already does. I've also read the Slash has less power per comparative size and is more sensitive to wind speed variations ie. smaller envelope. I should have tested the Slash in hindsight but I did settle on a 2018 7m Pivot. I'm a creature of habit I guess. It does me on a 5.1 Vader from 17 thru 28-ish knots. The wind range is too good to look past. I'm very comfortable with a one kite quiver at the moment but will probably get a bigger size in the next year.

If I was a betting man, I'd put money on Naish reducing or nullifying altogether the wave capability of the Pivot in the next two seasons, making it more Freeride/hangtime. Conversely, I suspect the Slash will become more of an all-rounder.
I agree its a bit confusing. I lot is because the kites are pretty new still and people have not had a chance to ride them over time and people comes into the riding with different backgrounds. I think that part will settle down a bit.
I can certainly dispel a rumour that the pivot doesn't drift. I will assume the Slash is better at it, but I have ridden the 11 Pivot in on shore conditions...wind swell with short distance between the waves and the 11 handles well. Both drifts well and turns well. I have a 7 Slash, but have not had a chance to take it out yet. I go under the assumption it is a bit more powerful for the size..but at 7 the quality I am looking for is stable in gusty conditions...I know the pivot excels there, but I am hoping the slash will be the leave and forget kind of kite up there in windy and gusty conditions...

Any thoughts?

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:30 am

I think you will be very happy with your 7m Slash. I had mine (2018 7m) out for the first time yesterday in ultra gusty Levante conditions in Tarifa with a Twintip (no waves, only nasty chop). It was not much fun, but the kite is excellent in these conditions, very well behaved, stable, loads of depower. Powered up it also jumps pretty well, but I want to further test this in more controllable conditions. Last year I also had a 6m Pivot for high wind boosting with TT, but maybe the Slash will make me happy enough.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:05 am

Sounds great.
So how about the 9 or 10 Slash or Pivot? This kite needs to be versatile. So far I have always loved the 10/9 Pivot for jumping and agility with a TT and I feel the bar is set super high. Do you have any opinions on that? It doesn't have to be side by side comparison but I'm so dependent on that kite for just about every type of riding.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:19 am

No opinion on this. My go to kite is my 8m Pivot, for TT and SB. However the jumping aspect is more important in that size for me, because I ride TT more often in that wind strength. I believe I won‘t touch that decision because I am super happy with the kite. It is good for both and I like how I can fine tune it with different line lengths. Although, I am also keen to give the 9m Dash a shot (when the next version comes out in spring)

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:10 pm

I just ordered a 14m pivot and 12m Slash. Im stoked to see how they both work here in southern california ! Hopefully the 12m slash has a ton of low end like my 2017 10m slash does !

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:52 pm

Dirk wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:19 am
No opinion on this. My go to kite is my 8m Pivot, for TT and SB. However the jumping aspect is more important in that size for me, because I ride TT more often in that wind strength. I believe I won‘t touch that decision because I am super happy with the kite. It is good for both and I like how I can fine tune it with different line lengths. Although, I am also keen to give the 9m Dash a shot (when the next version comes out in spring)
Can you comment on the different line lengths? What lengths do you use formwhich circumstances/boards/kite sizes and what effect so you notice?

Return to “Kitesurfing”