D746
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Freeride
Gear: Takoon
Brand Affiliation: None

Takoon furia phi, good for big air?

Postby D746 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:12 am

Been on my old waroos since 2008. Finally did an update and got some takoon furias from 2014. Did not have a chance to test them. Anyone know if this kite is good for big air and hangtime?

mede
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Villa-Arcadia.com
Sri Lanka West Coast (Kandathoduwa)
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast (Kandathoduwa), the endless and windy beach in front of villa-arcadia.com
Style: Strapless surfing, Big Air
Gear: Tomo Vanguard 5.2 (firewire kitesurf edition), Shinn Monk
Brand Affiliation: villa-arcadia.com

Re: Takoon furia phi, good for big air.

Postby mede » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:05 am

It's a very different kite than your old waroo.

It will turn MUCH faster, and the feeling on the bar is ways more direct.

I like the furias a lot in the medium and smaller sizes, they are incredibly dynamic. For big air, they are excellent for height (go really fast, then with a strong impulse stear back/up, depower just enough to fully load up, and pop). Hangtime is average.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:48 pm

Mede is spot on, a really different kite than your Waroos.

I have had them all models over the years, and still have a 5 year span over the Furias in my current quiver of Takoon kites 3.5 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 11 m2.
Where the two smallest are Log kites and not Furias.

The first Furias had AWESOME range and depower, turned crazy (= lovely) fast and could be controlled with one hand, besides having the smooth Takoon feel many will know, thus the perfect wavekites and many fell in love with these characteristics.

The hangtime was nothing to talk about of the first model, 2007 it was - but it would be expected with the massive high wind wave characteristics.

Year after year since the first one, it has changed towards more power, still fast turning, and getting a more rigid frame - thus satisfying freestylers now, and lower wind wave riding :thumb:

I would say around 2012 it has morphed into becoming an overall kite that we still love in waves (or for hydrofoiling), but great for jumping and freestyle and a lot more hangtime.

Of course you can get high AR grunty kites with really low windrange that got more hangtime, no doubt - but as Mede said, it is quite good now compared to the first few years.
And because it turns fast and you can feel the kite and the rigid frame/feedback, jumping and looping is great.

Where the first ones were full on jmaneuver and depower and wavekites.

Of course I can not ride the new ones as insanely "overpowered" (in as high winds) as the early ones, but it is just fine as it has been refined in other ways, so a much better overall kite now, than back then, and the "smooth" Takoon feel has been kept intact on this kite over the years :naughty:

8) Peter

D746
Rare Poster

Postby D746 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:30 pm

Thanks for the answers ☺ Looking forward to test them alot, should be here in a couple of days.

D746
Rare Poster

Postby D746 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:40 pm

Well, been testing them out now, Pros: superstable, fast, great upper range, drifts great. Cons:Not a big jumper, harder to get upwind then average kite in the low end! Should be one of the best kites to learn on, then fun in the upper range when you get better. Should be great with a surfboard, the kite just dont rip you of the edge even when lit. For a small twintip and old school big air there is better options. But still a great kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”