forum for kitesurfers

raztec
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None

Best control bar

Postby raztec » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:46 am

Newbie here looking to get the most simple, fail safe control bar that I can use with different kites (OR Prodigy and Cabrinha SB).

What's the consensus these days about which bar has the easiest, most simple release mechanism that doesn't deploy accidentally and can be reattached with ease?

Thanks
Amir

qbanboy14
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1
Gear: cabrinha and crazy fly

Re: Best control bar

Postby qbanboy14 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:48 am

Ozone (Grip, safety, simple design), you just need to invert the ends for most kites.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:11 am

There is absolutely no consensus whatsoever on this or almost any other kite topic. Everyone loves what they have settled for until they can't stand it and then find something else they love until they can't stand it. Kind of like dating!?!

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:15 am

There are tons. As a beginner get the bar that comes with your first kite. Most current bars are decent and won't hold you back, but best to get one thats tuned to work with your kite right off the bat. Eventually you learn how to tune a bar, but start with gear thats set up out of the bag. Differences are personal taste so give yourself a couple years to figure yours out. I'm super picky about bars and how they are set up. Pretty much have a full collection, all pretty different to suit a bunch of very different kites.

Peert
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Pampus, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Cabo 7 and 9m, Naish Trip 10m, Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, Mitu convertible 5.8 & TKF manta Hydrofoil

Postby Peert » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:47 am

Starsky is right imho. Except if you have short arms with limited reach in which case it could pay to specifically pay attention to the position closest to the body where you can get the bar. This would give you more bar throw and thus depower range.

raztec
Rare Poster
Gear: none

Postby raztec » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:17 am

Thanks guys for replying.

I bought a couple of used kites (2015 OR Prodigy 9.5 and 2012 Cabrinha SB 8m) neither of which came with a bar.

I came across a Cabrinha bar circa 2012, but found the release mechanism super finicky with the potential to release accidentally and difficult to reattach on land let alone in the water.

So now I'm looking for a nice, simple well designed bar that I can use with any relatively modern 4 line kite. I'd like the depower system to be easily accessible and within reach and the release mechanism to be quite secure and easy to reattach.

Thanks for any suggestion.
A

nothing2seehere
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: Kitesurfing and windsurfing

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:38 pm

If you can track one down whilst Best are still afloat, the current Best bar is pretty good. They have the North iron heart QR which is pretty good. Adjustable depower trim position (the block moves up and down). All good and at sell off prices its difficult to find new bars cheaper. Sure spares may be hard to come by in a few years time but it should be pretty trust worthy until then.

I understand your concern. I have another bar that I really like - except I have had a couple of accidental ejections from the QR and a couple of times the QR has disconnected as the chicken stick hasn't been strong enough.

rogue_kiteboarder
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Crazy Fly Raptor LTD, Pivot, Lithium, Neo, Reo, Enduro, C1

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:40 pm

Here you go: https://kiteboarding.com/proddetail.asp ... fusion_bar

A clean and simple bar at a very good price. Has 4 equal length lines and all you might need is a set of pigtails for different kites.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Postby edt » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:12 pm

starsky's response is spot on. As for the various brands, Cabrinha is well known for being finicky and hard to put back together in the water also they tend to change designs each year so they tend to make it more complicated than it needs to be.

my feelings on the various brands

north: the gold standard. You want to make sure you get one that is 2016 or later as earlier bars don't support 4 line kites properly (they had a "mini-5th"). So expensive!! I never use north bars because of the expense but it's my favorite.

liquid force: I like what they have done with their new bar, it is really nice but again, it has been getting more expensive. How do they make these nice bars so expensive? Make sure it is 2016 or later, as the earlier models are kind of garbage, and anything earlier than 2010 is actually dangerous.

Naish: My go to bar when I'm shopping for a used control bar. You can get last year's model easy for under $250. Now that's a lot of bang for your buck!

Slingshot: Very nice control bars.

Switch: Garbage. I wouldn't bother with this online vendor until they figure it out. Give them a few more years before they make a decent bar. They have problems figuring out how to make a decent swivel that always releases the holes they drilled out in early models specifically were a size that could get your lines snagged not good.

cabrinha: Overly complicated. But they work fine if you get a recent enough year. Very old Cabrinha's (more than 5 years old) will again be "mini-5th" so make sure it's a fairly recent. Way to fiddly for my taste.

Core: I would never buy a core bar. They have this "twisty" release which is different from all other bars. Come on Core get with the program make it "push away".

Ozone: great control bar. Also getting expensive. I don't believe they use a swivel which is fine by me.

I remember demoing a best bar recently but can't remember my impressions of it.

There's others out there I can't remember, those are just the ones I can think off of the top of my head which I've tried out.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:14 pm

http://www.realwatersports.com/kiteboarding/used/bars

All their used gear is in dependably good shape.

Return to “Kitesurfing”