Gear: all brands
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best control bar

Postby alford » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:45 pm

foilonfoil wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:49 am
edt wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:12 pm
Ozone: great control bar. Also getting expensive. I don't believe they use a swivel which is fine by me.
The Ozone Race bar is very popular in the foiling community with lots of adjustments and customization options. The swivel is below the bar and built into the release mechanism. The cleats wear out but are easy to replace - Have a few spare as once they start slipping they are useless. What I like about the the Ozone bar is the reliable front line/stopper ball/flag system... It just works and the bar can work with thicker 3rd party lines if needed (Q-Power) without flag issues.

I will be receiving an OR Stick Shift bar this week - It looks impressive and I have been told by OR that it can also accept 3rd party lines (Q-Powerline). I am considering it as a my next "go to" bar to replace my Ozone bars.

- Cabrinha bars up until 2017 suck. I had problems resetting after flagging, and wear issues. The 2012 bar double sucks due to its flag system and hi-v configuration.
- I don't like the Core twist release.
- F-One will have a swivel on their new 2018 bar releasing shortly.
- I have no experience with North.
- Switch bar is junk.
- Flysurfer bar is nice but not as easy to customize to my personal tastes due to double hole in the bar and very small hole in the release which does not work well with 3rd party lines.
- Slingshot are heavy but built tough. I was not a fan of the below the bar depower, although there is an option for above the bar depower now.

An optimal bar for me has:
- Long (adjustable) throw
- Low V lines
- 4 line equal line length
- Single line flag.
- Ability to accept thicker lines.
- 52-55cm

My preference:
1. OR Stick Shift pending review/experience... Could be awful ;)
2. Ozone Race
3. Slingshot.
4. Custom... Camet in San Deigo is building Carbon Fiber race bars but not appropriate for beginners.

Have you had a chance to try the Stick Shift bar? Interested in you're thoughts.

Matteo V
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:55 pm

edt wrote:

Core: I would never buy a core bar. They have this "twisty" release which is different from all other bars. Come on Core get with the program make it "push away".
Good subject for another thread, and I am guessing it was covered prior to my mentioning it. But I would suggest that any kiter passes this on to every beginner (or any kiter) you interact with.

QR's should never be taught as to how they function with regards to "push", "pull", or "twist". You should always teach a beginner (and you should also make sure) to do all 3 at once. The push-pull is easy. There is a familiar motion that covers this and it is pretty universally understood across almost all cultures and genders. Adding a twist to this motion is not that hard and will save someone if they ever come across a Core bar without examining it or have a situation so dire that they forget how it operates.

Combining the push-pull-twist motion has the added benefit of dislodging sand, snow, or other debris lodged in the QR. For this and the aforementioned reasons, I believe this could save lives, maybe even yours.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Postby edt » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:19 am

twist push pull sounds like it belongs in an Amsterdam tourist play.

Just teach them how to use their particular control bars. The last thing you want to do with a newer kiter is add to the mountain of information they have to process. Keep it simple just teach the gear they rid.e They can figure out more as they buy more gear.

kosbr
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Novosibirsk
Style: Freeride
Gear: Paraavis octan II 12, VARI Vulkan 9m, twin tip, race board, snowboard, ski,

Postby kosbr » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:26 am

Hello :)

Could you help me out with choosing a Cabrinha bar? I think my questions fit this topic.

I need a new bar for Cabrinha Switchblade 11m2 (2016) and Cabrinha Switchblade 8m2 (I'm going to buy it with bar)

Now I use 55 cm bar for 11m2 size and it is ok for me.

1. What size of bar would you advice for me for using with both kites? Or better buy two bars?
2. What do you think about special Cabrinha bar which allows change its size? Is it reliable?

The thing is that I'm afraid that 8m2 is much more nimble than 11m2 and using the same bar I can do something wrong, because it can be not usual for me (especially if I just changed a kite due to weather conditions). I know, that it is significantly when you move from big lightwind kite (like Flysurfer) to usual kite, but is it so significantly between 8 and 11 Switchblade?

Many thanks

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:23 pm

kosbr wrote: Hello :)

Could you help me out with choosing a Cabrinha bar? I think my questions fit this topic.

I need a new bar for Cabrinha Switchblade 11m2 (2016) and Cabrinha Switchblade 8m2 (I'm going to buy it with bar)

Now I use 55 cm bar for 11m2 size and it is ok for me.

1. What size of bar would you advice for me for using with both kites? Or better buy two bars?
2. What do you think about special Cabrinha bar which allows change its size? Is it reliable?

The thing is that I'm afraid that 8m2 is much more nimble than 11m2 and using the same bar I can do something wrong, because it can be not usual for me (especially if I just changed a kite due to weather conditions). I know, that it is significantly when you move from big lightwind kite (like Flysurfer) to usual kite, but is it so significantly between 8 and 11 Switchblade?

Many thanks
If you want only 1 bar you can use the small bar on both, the 2016 is more direct and faster than the 2015 so the small bar should work out well for the 11m I think. I use small cabrinha bar on my fone bandit 12 and 14m, works out well. I can still do slow/late loop trick with no issues.

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1916
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau

Postby ChickenD!ken » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:56 am

edt wrote:
Core: I would never buy a core bar. They have this "twisty" release which is different from all other bars. Come on Core get with the program make it "push away".
This is something I see written a lot and with very little more than “that twisty thing” given as the reason, like it has cooties or something. 1.) Core’s build quality is second to none. Try a Sensor2S or 2S Pro bar if you’re ever interested. It will blow your mind. The safety is solidly engineered and feels very sturdy. It is because of the twist feature (you can flag your kite either way you rotate/screw it) that you can add such a heavy duty safety mechanism and I speak from experience, it has saved me several times and never ruined a session by surprise. 2.) Twist releases don’t jam. Period. The same cannot be said for push release systems. The only reported twist release failures I’ve seen are ones where quite clearly the rider has not properly reassembled the mechanism from when it was last used. Or they didn’t do their pre-checks properly where they would’ve spotted it. I agree pretty much with most of your recommendations by the way, but you’re wrong about twist releases. Core, Ozone, Naish and Slingshot (in that order) would my top.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:13 pm

edt wrote:
Switch: Garbage. I wouldn't bother with this online vendor until they figure it out. Give them a few more years before they make a decent bar. They have problems figuring out how to make a decent swivel that always releases the holes they drilled out in early models specifically were a size that could get your lines snagged not good.
no no, they sorted this out when they completely redesigned it for the controller 4

now it gets jammed inside the chicken loop assembly

grigorib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; OBX; SPI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 7m/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m/15m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m, Best Kahoona 11.5m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Spleene Door 59, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, MHL Lift 2013, Slingshot Ghost Whisper 42"/545/328, Moses 71cm/548/325, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 42", Slingshot Coupe 6', Ocean Rodeo Mako 135, MBS Comp 95x

Postby grigorib » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:50 pm

Onda wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:05 am
I´ve had quite a few bars.
My actual favourite is the 2016 Cabrinha Trimlite Bar. I always avoided Cab bards due to the clunky and complex design. But the Trimlite is really reduced to the relevant functions, very light, very good quality of the lines, very good QR system (very easy to re-assemble) overall very pleasing. Plus very soft bar ends (important if you use a surfboard to avoid demages to the board).
You can purchase a new Trimlite Bar for less than EUR 250 in Germany :thumb:

The Slingshot bar have excellent lines (by far the best, IMHO), but the bar is very heavy and the bar ends easily demage your surfboard.
Been riding Slingshot, Flysurfer, Liquid Force CPR, Best RP bars so far and the latest - the Cabrinha w/ Trimlite kicks ass. The best bar I've ever ridden

foilonfoil
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Current: Flysurfer Sonic 2's, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards. Previous: AlpineFoil Carbon 5.0, Spotz Tuna/Shark, Banga

Postby foilonfoil » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:52 am

alford wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:45 pm
foilonfoil wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:49 am
An optimal bar for me has:
- Long (adjustable) throw
- Low V lines
- 4 line equal line length
- Single line flag.
- Ability to accept thicker lines.
- 52-55cm

My preference:
1. OR Stick Shift pending review/experience... Could be awful ;)
2. Ozone Race
3. Slingshot.
4. Custom... Camet in San Deigo is building Carbon Fiber race bars but not appropriate for beginners.
Have you had a chance to try the Stick Shift bar? Interested in you're thoughts.
Sorry for the delay - yes I have and its an ok bar but I have three minor complaints -
1. No metal in the bar middle so you feel the resistance of the PU tube and bar sliding against each other.
2. There is a click click click from the mechanism as it loads and unloads.
3. Line configuration for flag is unique so if I want to change to custom lines, I need to keep the lower half of the front lines original.

Positives compared to other bars...
I do like the the power/depower system and the bar throw. 4. As a request, I would like a smaller release mechanism (get rid of the chicken loop).

I kept the bar but its not the ideal bar for me. I'm currently looking at building a bar.

Return to “Kitesurfing”