Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Favorite Beaches: Magdalen Island , Baja
Style: freeride
Gear: Ozone , North
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Protection against the sun

Postby early bird2 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:17 pm

I have a SIMMS which is similar to the buff and I can't breath when it is wet .

flatwater
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Corpus Christi
Style: carving freeride
Gear: Wainman punch
LF overdrive
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby flatwater » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:21 pm

I like a product by Sun Bum--Original Face Stick. (spf 30)
Its like a deodorant stick, kind of waxy, and you just rub the stick on your face.
Protection is average or better ie it helps, but is not bulletproof. The thing I I like is:

DOESN'T RUN IN YOUR EYES!!!!!

Only product I would say this about and I have tried a lot. I am in Corpus Christi , TX (Gulf Coast--yup, we're still here) and sun is intense.

DWX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Travel only
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, St. Peter Ording
Style: free/wave
Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️

Postby DWX » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:57 pm

flatwater wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:21 pm
I like a product by Sun Bum--Original Face Stick. (spf 30)
Its like a deodorant stick, kind of waxy, and you just rub the stick on your face.
Protection is average or better ie it helps, but is not bulletproof. The thing I I like is:

DOESN'T RUN IN YOUR EYES!!!!!

Only product I would say this about and I have tried a lot. I am in Corpus Christi , TX (Gulf Coast--yup, we're still here) and sun is intense.
Corpus Christi? My God, man, how are you coping? You just experienced the biggest flood since Noah! My respect! TEXASSTRONG! Stay safe and dry! My thoughts are with you! If anyone is planning to donate, as you should, please do so thru
safe orgs:

American Red Cross – www.redcross.org; 800-RED-CROSS; or text the word HARVEY to 90999 to make a $10 donation.

The Salvation Army – www.helpsalvationarmy.org; or 800-SAL-ARMY

The United Way - www.uwtexas.org/hurricane-harvey; or text UWFLOOD to 41444

The SPCA of Texas - https://www.spca.org/

The SPCA of Louisiana - https://www.la-spca.org/

The Houston Humane Society - http://www.houstonhumane.org/

The Louisiana Humane Society - http://news.humanela.org/

Good luck!!!

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:41 am

I have been using the Gath full face helmet for kitesurf and windsurfing without a problem though everyone laughs at my un-coolness .... it's certainly not for picking up chicks but does the job

early bird2
Medium Poster

Postby early bird2 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:52 am

I also have a Gath full face , only problem it might be me but the Focus is not perfect , maybe the lens should be closer to the face , same with a scuba mask if there is to much space between the glass and eyes . The good thing is that I don't feel the helmet once on , I forget it instantly since it is so light and when it gets chilly it is warmer and replace a beany .

early bird2
Medium Poster

Postby early bird2 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:55 am

I don't know if this is still available but 20 years ago there was a sunscreen named Aloe Gator , kind of a grease like vaseline and it stayed on the face for very long and did not leak in the eyes . I bought it in South Florida back then .

flatwater
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Corpus Christi
Style: carving freeride
Gear: Wainman punch
LF overdrive

Postby flatwater » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:05 pm

We're doing ok. Got some wind but not so much rain. I lost 3 trees, a few shingles and a couple of fences, but nothing hit the house. Power was out for 4 days. A neighbor wasn't so lucky--tree fell *on* his house. Port Aransas, 18 miles away, simply got hammered, and Houston & surround is underwater. So CC basically got really lucky, and we're doing what we can to help out Port A, Rockport, etc.

Thanks for asking.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:34 pm

early bird2 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:55 am
I don't know if this is still available but 20 years ago there was a sunscreen named Aloe Gator , kind of a grease like vaseline and it stayed on the face for very long and did not leak in the eyes . I bought it in South Florida back then .
I still use Aloe Gator, I get it at REI in the USA (Amazon should have it too), it's like vaseline and it's the best sunscreen I have used so far.

DWX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Travel only
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, St. Peter Ording
Style: free/wave
Gear: ❤️Core/Carved❤️Forever❤️

Postby DWX » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:30 pm

flatwater wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:05 pm
We're doing ok. Got some wind but not so much rain. I lost 3 trees, a few shingles and a couple of fences, but nothing hit the house. Power was out for 4 days. A neighbor wasn't so lucky--tree fell *on* his house. Port Aransas, 18 miles away, simply got hammered, and Houston & surround is underwater. So CC basically got really lucky, and we're doing what we can to help out Port A, Rockport, etc.

Thanks for asking.
Thanks so much for the update! Wow, these aren't small damages! 4 days without electricity will drive me pretty mad. I had colleagues at Tulane whose lives got irreversibly disrupted by Katrina & Harvey is a lot worse. It's not over. It's been both heart-rending & heart-warming watching you guys cope and really outdo the best of rescue efforts on the books! Amazing! You are just wonderful! Thinking of you all!

bjw
Medium Poster
Gear: Best

Postby bjw » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:52 am

sarc wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:34 pm
early bird2 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:55 am
I still use Aloe Gator, I get it at REI in the USA (Amazon should have it too), it's like vaseline and it's the best sunscreen I have used so far.
+1 Aloe Gator is the best available. I have to get it off eBay, but so worth it. They used to advertise it lasting for 8 hours.

Return to “Kitesurfing”