Forum for kitesurfers
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Protection against the sun

Postby downunder » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:34 pm

^
ummm, did u use one for kiting? No? Well than. maybe reading prev pages might help :)

Bhwillia
Rare Poster
Local Beach: 2006
Favorite Beaches: Skyway
Style: Hook in and hang on!
Gear: Wheeler Wings Gull 20 & Hammerhead, BRM Paipo, Wow 12, BRM CCS,Best Chubby, Sector60v2, MHLLift, ozone edge 19&13, LF Solo 17.5, 15, 12, 9, 6.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bhwillia » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:38 am

IMG_0941.JPG
Sun clothes, gloves, helmet with soft brim screwed to it, water glasses with Bekos nose guard superglued in place. A bit of sun goo to lips. Set. ( variations on this for several years in Florida surviving high speed crashes and up to head high surf...)

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:16 am

I made a lycra sun mask. If the holes are too big then my lips are exposed which is the part of my body that gets the most sun damage. If the holes are small enough to provide protection then I can't breathe through it when it's wet.

I thought about making up all sorts of prototypes using mesh or micro holes in lycra. In the end it's cheaper and easier to buy a Naroo X5S mask from ebay.

PS I tried a Buff while foiling. For the first hour it was fine ... then I fell in the water.

early bird2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Favorite Beaches: Magdalen Island , Baja
Style: freeride
Gear: Ozone , North

Postby early bird2 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:32 pm

Naroo mask is the best I found so far , it hurts my ears a little but I get used to it .
The best compromise is the Gath Helmet with full adjustable visor 98 percent UV protection .I don't even notice I have a helmet on , this is so light and small , It takes a while to get used to the lens since the lens is not close enough from the eyes and the focus is not perfect . I put Aloe Gator along with it , I can adjust the height of the lens depending of the hours of the day . So in the early morning or at sunset I pull the lens all the way down , otherwise I raise it half and sunscreen does the job for the bottom of the face .

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:33 pm

alexeyga wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:09 pm
I don't know what happened to these guys, but it used to be possible to order it online:
10_hp-pro-royal-blue.jpg
10_hp-pro-royal-blue.jpg (27.35 KiB) Viewed 1329 times

http://exit.mu/headpeace/index.html
I've got myself a sample, heading South next week - will test it out.

early bird2
Medium Poster

Postby early bird2 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:07 pm

Please , Let me know , looks interesting .

ldmelo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza
Gear: F-One Bandit V 9m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ldmelo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:21 am

I see a bunch of people here in northeast Brazil kitesurfing all day long without any kind of protection but the sunscreen. Maybe they don't care because they are tourists that will be here for just a few days or weeks,... But me.. I live here, and my father had skin cancer, so I always tried to be very well protected while in the water.

The problem with hats is that they will come off or the wind will make the brim flop onto your face.

Best hat I found was the Fcs bucket hat ( https://www.amazon.com/FCS-Wet-Bucket-S ... B008EX44DY ) I used it for a long time, paired with a long sleeve UV shirt and uv jogging pants..plus some. kind of sunscreen that doesn't come off (like those surfers used decades ago).

The fcs hat however started folding in very strong winds or getting in the way when I wanted to look up to the kite. And if I moved it up I would get too much sun on my face, specially on the lips.. So I started using a baseball hat under the fcs hat.. extremely ugly, but it worked.

I also bought one of those hats that come with a neck protection and I sometimes use it instead of the solution above. Something that looks like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06Y2YWN86?psc=1&th=1

There are other hats with stiff brim, like the dakine indo or dakine no zone, but I never tried.

https://www.amazon.com/Dakine-8660100-1 ... B00I68V04S

https://www.amazon.com/Dakine-DAKINE-In ... B00I68V3UE

Recently I saw someone with a shelta hat.. They are extremely expensive (65usd) but they seem to address a lot of the problems I have, so I will give it a try.

https://www.amazon.com/Shelta-SEAHAWK-M ... B0186LD96G

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:46 pm

early bird2 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:07 pm
Please , Let me know , looks interesting .
I'm back, haven't had a chance to use that head piece as much as I was planning to - simply put, winds were usually picking up after 2-3pm and by then I don't even bother with sunscreen. Still had a few short sessions and some wondering-about beach time. This thing proved to be pretty handy. Hides the face really nicely, not hot. Agressive riding should be avoided since it gets a bit hard to breath through the mesh when wet.

As far as I'm concerned - it's a great accessory for these times when we've got nothing better to do, but to go ride during these worst (10am-3pm) hours. Unless I'll be planning a hardcore wipe-outs session - I'll chose this over any sunscreen.

PS I'm trying to get my local shop interested - so we might just get an importer for North America.

early bird2
Medium Poster

Postby early bird2 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:55 pm

Alexeyga , information very appreciated . Let us know if they become available in North America . Thanks a lot !

chet
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 155
Gear: 2017 Star Taina 10m

Postby chet » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:57 pm

ShaveTheWhales wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:19 am
My Blue Power Ranger getup :cool2:

100% sunblock, 100% normal visibility, head protection, double eye protection from helmet visor - no reflected sun burn - no fogging no heat stroke no chemicals soaking into skin and I laugh when red faced sunburnt people covererd in zinc ask me... why do I wear a mask lol

1x gath hat
1x biker mask
1x big lense Fish eye polarised glasses (the extra Elton john size sits over mask.
1x dust mask filter ( gutted for glue on mouth breather..
1x old rashie cut and sewn to mask, to cover neck and tuck into wetsuit.

Warning !!!
Unless you like 'Waterboarding Torture' do not try "without" Breather added...

Wet neoprene or cloth will Not let you Breath from your mouth.

And before you make yourself a guy..

One of my friends died from skin cancer.. dont be one of the Guys who put off others from whatever means to protect themselves - by trying to be a fashion policemen.
Is this still your go-to solution, or have you found something better since you posted in 2017? I'm looking for face and neck sun protection solutions that minimize/eliminate use of sunscreen, but haven't found the perfect solution yet. I live in warm weather, so I can't wear the ski balaclava's that have the holes for the nostrils and mouth. The summer balaclava i've been using has no holes and fogs up my glasses. I know I can cut the holes myself, but I went searching for creative solutions and found your post. Before I found your post I was thinking of purchasing the ROBESBON MT-009 and removing the sponge filter. Since I'm into foiling now it'll serve a secondary purpose of protecting my face in case of impact with foil wing/mast.

Return to “Kitesurfing”