Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite Loops

Forum for kitesurfers
nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite Loops

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:14 am

Yep looping on the way down from a jump is common. Its a low powered loop because the kite is already at the edge of the window so doesn't (necessarily) generate a lot of pull.

Plus because the kite is high to start you can get away with looping the kite when you are really close to the water so that the majority of the loop is whilst you are back on the surface. My kite skills are poor so I often loop the kite as I'm near to landing to help with my aerial transitions. It removes the skill level and gives you plenty of power to ride away from the landing.

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:46 am

Can someone tell me clear: when you doing megaloop and kite bar axis and loop center around 9 clock, do you need to pull bar back to 12 pushing it or you dont need move bar to your side to make kite on 12 as kite naturally after megaloop going to 11 and 12 as you falling down after megaloop and kite somehow will be above you anyway ?

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:14 pm

Hey a99. You'll need to move your bar back towards the end of your loop so it is oriented 90 degrees to your center lines in order to stop the rotation of the kite. Check out this video that you posted in another thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8jdutzwRXI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8jdutzwRXI

vannibombonato
Frequent Poster

Postby vannibombonato » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:10 pm

Dears,
i MIGHT finally start trying some kiteloops this year...would like to get some basic principles straight before take off.

I'm obviously talking about "beginner" pussy kiteloops, not megaloops and the like. I frequently see people on beaches kitelooping without giving at all the impression of it being a megapowered thing. Because obviously they are doing it the right way, i had my fair share of half-kiteloops done by mistake while jumping and i do remember very clearly the consequences (i was almost knocked out in Fuerteventura once, helmet snapped away on impact and i had a concussion on the leg that made it black for the following 2 weeks).

Given that i get that it's a must to start with smaller kite, moderate winds, full commitment, etc.:

1- Let's say that i crank the bar at the max and properly commit (like fishpole, 90 degrees): will the kiteloop be tighter with bar fully sheeted in while steering? Because intuitively it will be tighter & faster, but i'm not so clear on whether it would be more or less powerful & dangerous vs. same bar steering with bar like halfway sheeted in.

2- The obvious next question is...when i'll start first kiteloops (i've already done surface downloop transitions), shall i do them fully sheeted in or not while steering for the kite loop? Because the "beginner" kiteloop i imagine would then be something like jump, crank in bar during the jump as usual, reach apex, right after apex (but keep bar fully sheeted in or not?) steer aggressively and commit to the kiteloop, sheet out to get kite faster to 12 once loop is almost completed and land.

I get that i'll need to sheet out on the way up to make it rise faster to 12.

Naturally i will first start practicing on surface, maybe even without the board.

Thanks,

Vanni

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:28 pm

Always sheet in when looping a kite, a kite doesn't turn properly when depowered (sheeted out). Sheet out after the loop to bring the kite back to 12.

Yesterday I did a loop at around 7m height and I hit the backside of a wave on landing, my knee is kinda hurting but it seems like nothing is broken/torn. Hopefully some wind again soon to do some loops :)

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:08 pm

you dont need to sheet in, you can just leave the bar whereever it is when you normally send the kite. if you oversheet the kite can stall mid loop and just drop you which isnt fun. if youre properly trimmed then you can sheet in if you want, doesnt really matter imo unless youre trying to go bigger (not the topic of this thread)

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:37 pm

vannibombonato wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:10 pm
Dears,
i MIGHT finally start trying some kiteloops this year...would like to get some basic principles straight before take off.

I'm obviously talking about "beginner" pussy kiteloops, not megaloops and the like. I frequently see people on beaches kitelooping without giving at all the impression of it being a megapowered thing. Because obviously they are doing it the right way, i had my fair share of half-kiteloops done by mistake while jumping and i do remember very clearly the consequences (i was almost knocked out in Fuerteventura once, helmet snapped away on impact and i had a concussion on the leg that made it black for the following 2 weeks).

Given that i get that it's a must to start with smaller kite, moderate winds, full commitment, etc.:

1- Let's say that i crank the bar at the max and properly commit (like fishpole, 90 degrees): will the kiteloop be tighter with bar fully sheeted in while steering? Because intuitively it will be tighter & faster, but i'm not so clear on whether it would be more or less powerful & dangerous vs. same bar steering with bar like halfway sheeted in.

2- The obvious next question is...when i'll start first kiteloops (i've already done surface downloop transitions), shall i do them fully sheeted in or not while steering for the kite loop? Because the "beginner" kiteloop i imagine would then be something like jump, crank in bar during the jump as usual, reach apex, right after apex (but keep bar fully sheeted in or not?) steer aggressively and commit to the kiteloop, sheet out to get kite faster to 12 once loop is almost completed and land.

I get that i'll need to sheet out on the way up to make it rise faster to 12.

Naturally i will first start practicing on surface, maybe even without the board.

Thanks,

Vanni
Plenty of good kiteloop tutorials. I like both Anton's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7xySpKzW0c) and Dmitri's (https://vimeo.com/131190603).

Both will walk you through in nice manageable stages. I'm only doing low powered loops at present so there may be better stuff out there to teach you high powered loops but its a good starting point.

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:13 am

Speaking of Kite Loops........ This is from a sunset session tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nagqg28d3sI

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:39 pm

What a interesting thread.

I'm also in the pussyloop stage and I think that the problem I have is just thinking about it. It's like "I'm in the apex of the jump, I'm going to kiteloop"... Then it's too late and I land with the kite on the way down with almost no power, so it's like being dropped from the air.

So at last, bar fully sheeted in or just with enough power to lift you?

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:54 pm

Start with it fully in just for the commitment aspect. You will find it doesn't really matter all that much between fully sheeted and normal riding position sheeted.

Return to “Kitesurfing”