Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Your worst kitesurf injury ?

Postby jeromeL » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:18 pm

Broken thumb.
Line went slack and when kite powered back up the bar hit my thumb.

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:08 pm

Broken neck

a99
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Favorite Beaches: Baltic sea
Gear: North, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon laluz.

Postby a99 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:51 pm

I think in ouw days F1 races and racers are muxh more safer than kiter. A lot can be happen when kiting. Awful picture above and in net much more awful pictures and videos of kite incidents comparing with F1 or indycar. Personally i think Big air riders with megaloops and backrolls have bigger balls than F1 racers. In general they having quite stabile conditions around comparing with our big waves, offshore, gusty storms and etc, except cars megacrashes whats in our times happening very rare.

Peert
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Pampus, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Cabo 7 and 9m, Naish Trip 10m, Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, Mitu convertible 5.8 & TKF manta Hydrofoil

Postby Peert » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:50 pm

a99 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:51 pm
I think in ouw days F1 races and racers are muxh more safer than kiter. A lot can be happen when kiting. Awful picture above and in net much more awful pictures and videos of kite incidents comparing with F1 or indycar. Personally i think Big air riders with megaloops and backrolls have bigger balls than F1 racers. In general they having quite stabile conditions around comparing with our big waves, offshore, gusty storms and etc, except cars megacrashes whats in our times happening very rare.
:thumb: well said

jonysan
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth
Gear: Naish Pivots, F-One Mito 5.8,

Postby jonysan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:01 pm

Hi a99,

Do you wear protective gear, for example, helmet, impact vest, gloves ? I'm interested to whether people kite "in spite of" of " because of" the risks.

jonysan
Medium Poster

Postby jonysan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:03 pm

Or "because of the risks"

a99
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Baltic sea
Gear: North, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon laluz.

Postby a99 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:52 pm

Hi, i wear impact west. Helmet no, but think to get, still hear and read that helmet not protecting you more if you fall down from about 5-10 m or above, only mainly from waves, rock, board and other kites. Still i kiting in frendly enviroment our spots. Gloves no, as i think if line will turn around you finger and kite will start in power, than gloves will not help. I had accident when my board (or reed, not sure who exactly there was as was very uncommon situation appeared and i must look to my kite and bar to control) cut my wetsuite near foot and then also my skin, lucky it wasn't very deep. Have kite knife in harness. No boats only straps, but with wet shoes always. Buy the way one month ago saw in own eyes how one kiter was dragged from sea to beach and then to dunes and then to forest as bar stuck in harness, he was intermedium and did't knew what to do. The all view was absolutely shoking. Still when he was dragged from water on kiteloops (on 9m) first seems as he learning bodydraging and only then we all understand that it wasn't learning or cheating with kiteloops. Lucky no big or seriuos injuries he got, just total shock and some annihilations. Next day he was in beach but not kited, shock was to big for him. Buy the way this accident shows me that in such situation impossible to find and reach kite knife and then cut lines, simply no time in this disaster and simply no possition to reach lines easy. Everything going in enormous speed for your usual reaction, especially if wind is more than 10m.

jonysan
Medium Poster

Postby jonysan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:33 pm

Very difficult in that situation to do the right thing first, especially for a learner, the natural reaction when dragged toward, or into an object is to project yourself with your hands/arms. to get to , and release the safety release takes more control, practice, knowledge, than learners have usually accumulated.

Good idea to practice hitting the safety release, ....... your friend had a lucky escape,

keep safe mate.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Gear: BWS / Ocean Rodeo / Stringy Foil

Postby juandesooka » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:29 am

What's your worst injury? Broken ankle/foot ... spiral fracture of the leg bone right at the ball connection point (yes, that's the technical medical terminology, LOL). Such a dumb injury, doing snaps in tiny waves and medium gusty wind, just as i was about to turn kite kinda stalled, I fell backwards and front foot was off board, then kite powered up quick pulling my leg back onto/into board in a hurry. Snap. Freak accident that shouldn't have happened strapless. Getting out of the wetsuit was a memorable experience.

How long were you out of the game?
Luckily just air cast and crutches, no surgery. I was out 4 months.

What did you do to fill the gap?
Took about 3 days of moping to realize I needed some movement. Ended up doing whatever workouts I could manage with 1 bum leg. Started with pushups against a fence. Funny thing is, I hate working out and never do it, even though I know I need to. I figure I ended my injury phase in better shape than I went in.
For fun, I went to the beach a few times and took photos and videos of buddies. Also figured out I could salmon fish, just tie a garbage bag around cast for water tightness and for fish blood.

Did you continue Kitesurfing? :thumb: Though have to admit, I became tentative about some things, especially strapless airs. Kinda one of those sad moments where it felt like my brain caught up with the year on my birth certificate.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: None, not even lawnmower.
Gear: Wipika Freeair 8.5 2 liner and Picklefork.
Brand Affiliation: iansmusic.com - free music for your kite videos

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:19 am

when your foot went back onto the board did you roll your ankle?

Return to “Kitesurfing”