KVL
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2018 Naish Foils

Postby KVL » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:22 am

tegirinenashi wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:55 am
I have never seen this design adopted on carbon foils yet; hope it would be there by the time I grow up for an upgrade.
Alpine seems to have what you are looking for. Pretty much the same adapter you show, and as well plenty of others.

http://www.alpinefoil.com/en/kitefoil-w ... esssories/

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:26 pm

Dude, he's talking about the open ended slots for attaching bolts rather than a hole. How could you possibly live with holes. It's 2017 man. Its a massive time saver to jiggle around half tightened bolts instead of completely disassembled bolts. If it doesn't have slots...... off the list!

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera
Brand Affiliation: F-One

Postby windmaker » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:36 pm

Starsky wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:26 pm
Dude, he's talking about the open ended slots for attaching bolts rather than a hole. How could you possibly live with holes. It's 2017 man. Its a massive time saver to jiggle around half tightened bolts instead of completely disassembled bolts. If it doesn't have slots...... off the list!
Some board manufacturers (the really smart ones :D ) have the slots for the screws at the end of the mast track, not in the middle of the track.
In that case no need to remove the screws from the foil head , just loosen them and slide it out. Opened bolt slots on the head of the foil become then obsolete and actually undesirable .

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:45 pm

Well looking at people most seems to bring an electric screwdriver these days. Back when I rode foils I wasn't planned enough to bring one of those and I got tired of all the rigging. Watching people now though got me stoked on foils again....and especially when you can use most of the same gear on a SUP too.

If you guys could help me think through this...what would the advantage of getting a bigger board be? I remember back when I was riding a foil I always felt the board was kind of in the way of enjoying the hovering. If you have a super small board is it harder to jump / land it? Why wouldn't I just get the 112?

The only thing I wish is that they'd put regular fin boxes in the boards as well so you could use it without a foil as well. They could literally take the skater and put tracks on that and then add a closure for the mast tracks when using it in surf mode.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:58 pm

Nah, crossover sounds cool, but there is compromise no matter what. I don't really want a couple more boxes and a pile of glass in my purebred surfboard. I hate the domed deck of a surfboard for foiling, but love it for surface riding. Nor do I want the thickness of foam or unneeded length for foiling.

They will always be two very different boards in my quiver.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:26 pm

Starsky wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:58 pm
Nah, crossover sounds cool, but there is compromise no matter what. I don't really want a couple more boxes and a pile of glass in my purebred surfboard. I hate the domed deck of a surfboard for foiling, but love it for surface riding. Nor do I want the thickness of foam or unneeded length for foiling.

They will always be two very different boards in my quiver.
Yeah that makes sense as well. Dammit. Its too easy to see multiple angles on this. I do think cross-overs makes a lot of sense when you are travelling...but most do not travel that much with gear.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m

Postby TomW » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:13 pm

If you're going to bring a surfboard in a boardbag, it's easy to slide in a foil board and a TT as protection on the bottom of the bottom surfboard. Just remove all fins and straps. The whole boardbag weighs under the limit for a surfboard. Same cost as one board.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:56 pm

TomW wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:13 pm
If you're going to bring a surfboard in a boardbag, it's easy to slide in a foil board and a TT as protection on the bottom of the bottom surfboard. Just remove all fins and straps. The whole boardbag weighs under the limit for a surfboard. Same cost as one board.

Tjena, Yeah that makes sense also. Dammit. I am considering just mounting the foil to my BRM Paipo. Which is an amazing board just as a standalone board.

Tom, did you start making your own foils as well?

A.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:43 am

tegirinenashi wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:55 am
tautologies wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:49 pm
...What do you mean? Why are the foil plate mount holes wrong?...
Open like this one:
It saves some time during assembly/disassembly -- not requiring to loosen up the screws completely free. I have never seen this design adopted on carbon foils yet; hope it would be there by the time I grow up for an upgrade.
Ive never taken my foil apart ! Is it bad not to disassemble it from time to time ?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand
Gear: Homemade 4-1
North Mono 7 & 12
RRD Obsession 9
Core XR3 12m

Postby TomW » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:09 pm

tautologies wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:56 pm
TomW wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:13 pm

Tjena, Yeah that makes sense also. Dammit. I am considering just mounting the foil to my BRM Paipo. Which is an amazing board just as a standalone board.

Tom, did you start making your own foils as well?

A.
I'm still learning, I'm learning transitions now. I converted a surfboard I had made an sold my Moses T40, which I thought was too big and floaty. I had to make a conversion spacer to accommodate the bottom channels and it causes a lot of resistance on touch down and weighs 400g..
2017-07-26 11.38.48.jpg
So I'm in final stages of same board design but with chined rails and flat area for foil and dual concave nose. It's 2,5 kg 4-10x 18,75 and 13 liters.
2017-07-27 19.04.46.jpg
I'm experimenting with 3D printing, I've designed a big front wing to fit my Moses fuselage, and am trying different methods to print it out- have access to a simple FDM and a more advanced Form2 SLA machine. my plan is to print it out and glue it together and vacuum bag it with a few layers carbon I have laying around. While working on this the Takuma has been released and it is huge. I thought my wing was big...I may have to increase my wing size even more...

But focused on better board and learning now.

Return to “Kitesurfing”