Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Intermediate kiter, ready to buy a new 10m, thoughts?

forum for kitesurfers

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Intermediate kiter, ready to buy a new 10m, thoughts?

Postby tautologies » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:58 am

If you like the EVO just go with that. I mean there are a ton of kites that are good out there, but don't expect the rebel to be like the EVO. If you are wondering see if you can demo a few.

Twintipskier
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Kurort, Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Favorite Beaches: Blaga(Russia), Muine, Kurort
Style: Loops, Airstyle, Waves
Gear: Best TS, Naish Draft, Cabrinha Apollo

Postby Twintipskier » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:01 am

Peert wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:07 am
Twintipskier wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:01 am
Cabrinha Apollo 10m is amazing kite for boosting and airstyle progression. I'm just purchased and very impressed.
TS hookedcook wrote: ↑ Before every session I'm still a little nervous and when I make it back to where I started, always happy and relieved.

And you suggest Apollo? ;-)

Twintipskier
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Kurort, Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Favorite Beaches: Blaga(Russia), Muine, Kurort
Style: Loops, Airstyle, Waves
Gear: Best TS, Naish Draft, Cabrinha Apollo

Postby Twintipskier » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:05 am

Peert wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:07 am
Twintipskier wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:01 am
Cabrinha Apollo 10m is amazing kite for boosting and airstyle progression. I'm just purchased and very impressed.
TS hookedcook wrote: ↑ Before every session I'm still a little nervous and when I make it back to where I started, always happy and relieved.

And you suggest Apollo? ;-)

Ups, i missed it ))))

But i think that apollo is very friendly for beginners - light bar, smooth power, huge windrange. Maybe restart could be tricky a little bit, but i have no problem )

DSZ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: New England
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Hatteras, Turks and Caicos.
Style: Prefer Surf
Gear: Airush Lithiums and Wave. Core XR4 7m. Custom Amundson, BWS surfboards. Occasional CF Cruiser Pro 145 and North 135 Select.

Postby DSZ » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:05 am

Look for a closeout air rush lithium. Easy kite to fly, good range, boosts easily, self launch and land no problem and relaunches effortlessly. Perfect kite to start out with and unless you're the unhooking type you won't outgrow it. I use it in the waves and it's awesome too.

Matteo V
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:34 am

I like to cheat....That is give myself an unfair advantage over everyone else. And lets just say that I am not a "natural" at kiteboarding so I have to work at it. - I know this as I have taught a fair few "natural geniuses" in kiting and windsurfing, and I aint like them.

The amount of brain power dedicated to flying different models of kites through your quiver, approaches the amount of brainpower required to windsurf. My cheat is to eliminate this additional brain power requirement by flying the same model of kite across my quiver. While others are blowing tricks because they had to go down from their 12m RPM to their 10m Switchblade (timing), I am landing and setting up for the next roll as they are still chasing their board down.

I still like to fly other kites and demo when ever possible. When some one asks me what they are doing wrong with their kite, I HAVE to ride their kite to get to the root of the issue. So a one kite quiver comes with some costs. But the benefit is comfort and having a scaling timing across my quiver. Some years of my model of kite I hate, and some I like and wish that was all I had. But I have way less issues than people who fly all kinds of different kites. Just a note: I came from an open and closed cell kite background so my opinion may be skewed by this.

My recommendation is to pick the kite model you like the best now, and make a full quiver out of it. You do not have to do this all at once, but set yourself up for that in the future by NOT buying a different kite unless you want to change your whole quiver over to that model.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:07 am

You mentioned the Core XR5, this is the kite that does everything right. I have a 10m XR4. You will not go wrong with a 10m XR4 or XR5, rather it will increase your confidence. It does not come cheap, but it is well built and will put a grin on your face every time you put it in the air.

BigZ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Northern California Coast
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere it's windy and wavy
Style: Surf
Gear: Wave kites,
Surfboards, surfboards, and more surfboards ...

Postby BigZ » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:14 am

+1
Matteo V wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:34 am
I like to cheat....That is give myself an unfair advantage over everyone else. And lets just say that I am not a "natural" at kiteboarding so I have to work at it. - I know this as I have taught a fair few "natural geniuses" in kiting and windsurfing, and I aint like them.

The amount of brain power dedicated to flying different models of kites through your quiver, approaches the amount of brainpower required to windsurf. My cheat is to eliminate this additional brain power requirement by flying the same model of kite across my quiver. While others are blowing tricks because they had to go down from their 12m RPM to their 10m Switchblade (timing), I am landing and setting up for the next roll as they are still chasing their board down.

I still like to fly other kites and demo when ever possible. When some one asks me what they are doing wrong with their kite, I HAVE to ride their kite to get to the root of the issue. So a one kite quiver comes with some costs. But the benefit is comfort and having a scaling timing across my quiver. Some years of my model of kite I hate, and some I like and wish that was all I had. But I have way less issues than people who fly all kinds of different kites. Just a note: I came from an open and closed cell kite background so my opinion may be skewed by this.

My recommendation is to pick the kite model you like the best now, and make a full quiver out of it. You do not have to do this all at once, but set yourself up for that in the future by NOT buying a different kite unless you want to change your whole quiver over to that model.

Matteo V
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:36 pm

fernmanus wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:07 am
You mentioned the Core XR5, this is the kite that does everything right. I have a 10m XR4. You will not go wrong with a 10m XR4 or XR5, rather it will increase your confidence. It does not come cheap, but it is well built and will put a grin on your face every time you put it in the air.
This guy is a such great kiter that I sometimes stop kiting just to watch him. Had to have him lead me back in a white-out one time too, so he saved me building a snow fort for the night. I would trust his judgement above any other kiter I have met from this forum.

My general advice is to trust his assesment.

My personal advice is to "do what I do"......if you accept the trade offs.

badgb21
Frequent Poster
Gear: C/Fly, Ozone, Cabrinha, Concept X Ruler Split.

Postby badgb21 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:16 pm

So, you tried a kite and it was 'awesome' and now you are considering other kites? Why?
Okay there's a risk the 10m won't be as sweet as the 11m you used.

Life is very short, buy it

hookedcook wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:39 pm
Been kiting a while but it was always off and on. Mostly off because of my job and locations. A couple of years ago I decided enough is enough and bought my own gear. I don't get to kite much but will be able to do it a lot more in the coming months. I have a rally (15) 9 and a switchblade (16) 12. I was in Brazil and rented a (17) north evo 11m and it was awesome. I want to buy a new 10 m. Deciding between a north evo. Or now the (18) rebel has 4 lines??? Or a core xr5 or?????? I don't do unhooked tricks, just a fun kite that works and I can learn to boost a little. Any suggestions are welcome?? Also, always wondered, do you guys pay retail prices???? I was lucky with my last 2 kites through friends getting hooked up. For core and north I got nothing, so for a kite a bar your talking about 2000 bucks! Cheers

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1916
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau

Postby ChickenD!ken » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:00 am

Matteo V wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:36 pm
fernmanus wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:07 am
This guy is a such great kiter that I sometimes stop kiting just to watch him. Had to have him lead me back in a white-out one time too, so he saved me building a snow fort for the night. I would trust his judgement above any other kiter I have met from this forum.

My general advice is to trust his assesment.

My personal advice is to "do what I do"......if you accept the trade offs.
As an experienced XR user and very very happy owner of the new iteration, I completely second this. For me, the XR5 is now the ultimate all-rounder and beginner to expert friendly kite of choice for any beginner who asks me. It’s a beast and/or your best buddy whenever you need it to be. Ridiculously stable. I went out in 40knot gusts this weekend with my 6m and I was the only one with gear to handle the conditions. I even had an audience and loads of space but it was a bit lonely if I’m honest.

Return to “Kitesurfing”