Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Intermediate kiter, ready to buy a new 10m, thoughts?

forum for kitesurfers


hookedcook
Rare Poster
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:09 am
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: Cabrinha and slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

Intermediate kiter, ready to buy a new 10m, thoughts?

Postby hookedcook » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:39 pm

Been kiting a while but it was always off and on. Mostly off because of my job and locations. A couple of years ago I decided enough is enough and bought my own gear. I don't get to kite much but will be able to do it a lot more in the coming months. I have a rally (15) 9 and a switchblade (16) 12. I was in Brazil and rented a (17) north evo 11m and it was awesome. I want to buy a new 10 m. Deciding between a north evo. Or now the (18) rebel has 4 lines??? Or a core xr5 or?????? I don't do unhooked tricks, just a fun kite that works and I can learn to boost a little. Any suggestions are welcome?? Also, always wondered, do you guys pay retail prices???? I was lucky with my last 2 kites through friends getting hooked up. For core and north I got nothing, so for a kite a bar your talking about 2000 bucks! Cheers

Sun
Medium Poster
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:03 am
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town
Gear: 15m Chrono V2
12m Hyperlink
12m TS V5, 9m TS V6, 7m TS V6
10m Roca V2
6m Alana (2016)
CF Bulldozer
Nobile XTR
Nobile Zen Split Foil
Zeeko Spitfire, Normal & XLW
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Intermediate kiter, ready to buy a new 10m, thoughts?

Postby Sun » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:17 pm

Honestly there is very little wrong with that Switchbalde, and even the Rally is a great kite for the type of riding you are doing. If you are balking at the price of new gear, there is little you can do except search the classifieds for used gear.

But I get it. Sometimes you fly a kite that just resonates with you. At that point, find an example you are willing to buy and go for it! For what it is worth, I have handled over a dozen kites purchased used from iKitesurf classifieds, and all have been in great shape. As long as the seller can string sentences together coherently, speak about the kite, and accepts PayPal, I have had great deals on very new gear with no problems.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: South coast, UK

Re: Intermediate kiter, ready to buy a new 10m, thoughts?

Postby iriejohn » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:20 pm

A 9m Rally (2015) and 12m Switchblade (2016) is very nice. Don't think it was the 2017 Evo that made the difference in Brazil, more likely the location and conditions. Or maybe the board, what board do you own and what board were you using in Brazil?

hookedcook
Rare Poster
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:09 am
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: Cabrinha and slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Intermediate kiter, ready to buy a new 10m, thoughts?

Postby hookedcook » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:38 pm

I hear what you guys are saying. I'm not on the level yet where I can be picky about kites. Before every session I'm still a little nervous and when I make it back to where I started, always happy and relieved. I finally feel comfortable if I lose my board I can get back to it no problem. I just want to get better and a good kite to get me there?

hookedcook
Rare Poster
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:09 am
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: Cabrinha and slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Intermediate kiter, ready to buy a new 10m, thoughts?

Postby hookedcook » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:43 pm

As for the board, had a cabrinha hook up on a 136 for my first board, it was cool but traded it with a more advanced guy for a 140 liquid force on the beach. Because at the time my only objective was to go up wind and make it back to where I launched

User avatar
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 4374
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:12 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Ontario

Re: Intermediate kiter, ready to buy a new 10m, thoughts?

Postby Starsky » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:52 pm

hookedcook wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:38 pm
Before every session I'm still a little nervous and when I make it back to where I started, always happy and relieved.
If this is true, Stick with what you have.

I have an 8 kite quiver all between 6 and 12m, so loads of choice.

I have a 2015 9m rally on the stock bar and it is my go to when Im a little nervous. Be it conditions or location, that kite is so simple, smooth and stable its absolutely a chaos tamer. Goes up like crazy too. Depending on the board I can love that kite from 13 knots up to 30.

There are quicker kites, lighter kites and newer kites, but for simple fun in real wind, that kite performs in a really wide range of conditions.

I do also agree with Sun. If you fly a kite that really clicks for you. It's never a bad idea to get one.

hookedcook
Rare Poster
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:09 am
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: Cabrinha and slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Intermediate kiter, ready to buy a new 10m, thoughts?

Postby hookedcook » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:05 pm

Sun wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:17 pm
Honestly there is very little wrong with that Switchbalde, and even the Rally is a great kite for the type of riding you are doing. If you are balking at the price of new gear, there is little you can do except search the classifieds for used gear.

But I get it. Sometimes you fly a kite that just resonates with you. At that point, find an example you are willing to buy and go for it! For what it is worth, I have handled over a dozen kites purchased used from iKitesurf classifieds, and all have been in great shape. As long as the seller can string sentences together coherently, speak about the kite, and accepts PayPal, I have had great deals on very new gear with no problems.
Thanks, never knew about ikitesurf. Lots of nice stuff on there

User avatar
Twintipskier
Rare Poster
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:54 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Kurort, Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Favorite Beaches: Blaga(Russia), Muine, Kurort
Style: Loops, Airstyle, Waves
Gear: Best TS, Naish Draft, Cabrinha Apollo
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Intermediate kiter, ready to buy a new 10m, thoughts?

Postby Twintipskier » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:01 am

Cabrinha Apollo 10m is amazing kite for boosting and airstyle progression. I'm just purchased and very impressed.

User avatar
Peert
Frequent Poster
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:38 am
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Intermediate kiter, ready to buy a new 10m, thoughts?

Postby Peert » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:07 am

Twintipskier wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:01 am
Cabrinha Apollo 10m is amazing kite for boosting and airstyle progression. I'm just purchased and very impressed.
TS hookedcook wrote: ↑ Before every session I'm still a little nervous and when I make it back to where I started, always happy and relieved.

And you suggest Apollo? ;-)

Kitemanmuc
Frequent Poster
Posts: 466
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:10 pm
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil
Gear: Kitech, Eleveight, RideEngine, Carved, Moses

Re: Intermediate kiter, ready to buy a new 10m, thoughts?

Postby Kitemanmuc » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:33 am

hookedcook wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:39 pm
Been kiting a while but it was always off and on. Mostly off because of my job and locations. A couple of years ago I decided enough is enough and bought my own gear. I don't get to kite much but will be able to do it a lot more in the coming months. I have a rally (15) 9 and a switchblade (16) 12. I was in Brazil and rented a (17) north evo 11m and it was awesome. I want to buy a new 10 m. Deciding between a north evo. Or now the (18) rebel has 4 lines??? Or a core xr5 or?????? I don't do unhooked tricks, just a fun kite that works and I can learn to boost a little. Any suggestions are welcome?? Also, always wondered, do you guys pay retail prices???? I was lucky with my last 2 kites through friends getting hooked up. For core and north I got nothing, so for a kite a bar your talking about 2000 bucks! Cheers
Evo is an amazing kite. Ive tried all the kites you mentioned, and its stand-out! New 2018 should be coming in November and i hear it is amazing. They changed a lot.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

cron