6m Alana (2016)
CF Bulldozer
Nobile XTR
Nobile Zen Split Foil
Zeeko Spitfire, Normal & XLW
Brand Affiliation: None

I Do Not Know How Girls Work

Postby Sun » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:16 pm

I know there are older threads out there, just looking to see if there is some newer advice or sentiment in the community.

For girls, are smaller boards generally chosen for weight or stance? Statistically women are both lighter and smaller than guys, so I can see the boards and kite scaling smaller for smaller people. However, I am not sure what to do in the case of a tall, slender woman. I weight about 90 kg (200 lb) and stand 182 cm (6ft) tall. I use a 137x41 Core Fusion for most days and a 143 x 48 Nobile XTR on light days. I am teaching a woman also 182 cm tall, but she weighs 60 kg (130 lb). I expect my boards are too big, but then realized I do not know why I expect this. I have assumed that board size goes down for lighter riders, or when the wind picks up one can go to a smaller board, but I do not know how stature impacts anything.

Basically, does board size scale mostly with weight, mostly with stature, or does it only really only impact style for riding where advanced riders like smaller boards?

Even more basically, what size board do intermediate skilled riders who weigh 60 kg and are 182 cm tall ride?

Obviously referring to twintips here, but I am sure that there are similar thought out there for directionals.

EDIT: Like many of you, I think female specific features on kites and boards is mostly meaningless. Harnesses maybe a different story. However, my questions above are basically: We know smaller people need smaller boards. Is it that shorter people need smaller boards as much as lighter people need smaller boards? Does a light tall person generally use the same board size as a short heavy person?
Last edited by Sun on Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Re: I Do Not Know How Girls Work

Postby Starsky » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:25 pm

Big board for beginners.

She just needs less wind.

Once she get the basics she can try a variety of boards for herself to find what suits.

ShaveTheWhales
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Gear: Naish, Epic, F-one, Shinn
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well and fun to fly

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:53 am

Well bugger me if I know how Women work either..
I want to know how the hell she got out of the kitchen to go kiteboarding :cool2:

Yeeheeheehe - sorry please excuse my manors.. ahem.

Its the kite power to body weight ratio... that counts.
Try to pick up a cheap second hand board around 135-140x40. She will be able to use it as a good light wind board later on... then once her skills are better, she can spend the money on a really good board that she likes.
Always demo boards before buying if possible.

Ive previously spent $1200 on a hi tech board that was no better than a second hand cheap one - bugger it.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Postby edt » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:41 am

Board size is dependent on weight and it is a linear relationship, so twice the board would get you on a plane for someone twice the weight, but kite size doesn't stay static as larger kiters tend to use larger kites. In the end there are just so many variables kite size, weight, board preference, wind speed, chop. It comes down mostly to personal preference. Height has nothing to do with this, it's all about weight. A 137 and 143 are fine for a light weight beginner. Once she gets to the intermediate level make sure she has a chance to demo a bunch of different boards to see what she likes. Make sure you adjust width of the straps and adjust the duck of the stance so she is comfortable. A 60kg rider on a twintip usually will settle on a size somewhere around 100-130cm but that's not a hard and fast rule.
I would wait until she is an intermediate before I have her demo boards, as beginners tend to change their idea of what a good board is daily as they quickly progress.

Matteo V
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:17 am

Pretty sure some one has ridden a blow-up-doll. I have taken a few rides on all kinds of trash I have found on the shore. The only thing I could not make work was a weighted 5' buoy that came loose of the anchor. The log I rode was better than that thing.

Point is, you are shaving peach fuzz. It is not going to make much difference so long as the beginner has some sort of "beginner targeted" board, or even an advanced board that lends itself to the current conditions. Put her on something, let her loose, and work with kite and board skills.

At this location, what is the easiest board you have used?
Last edited by Matteo V on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Postby plummet » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:44 am

I don't think it matters what sexual organs you have on your body as to kite and board size. physical height will determine binding width and weight will determine appropriate board size for a given wind condition. I would suggest one kitesize and board size less than you given the 30kg weight difference.

On a side not I don't notice much difference in kitesizes of experienced guys on the beach with significantly different weights all other factors being equal.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: West Sussex
Gear: this 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:34 pm

Where I mostly kite the most common width is about 42cm (which incidentally is what my Monk is). I'm 1.80m/5'11and 81kg/178lb.

The main difference is that the heavier guys use 1-2 metres more than me and the lighter guys and gals use 1-2 metres less than me.
Sun wrote:Even more basically, what size board do intermediate skilled riders who weigh 60 kg and are 182 cm tall ride?
A wider board with a smaller kite is the better option because they will find it easier to get going and inspire confidence.

gbrungra
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Stinky's, San Diego, CA, USA, and Nantucket, MA, USA
Gear: Griffin 17m TRX 2014, Cabrihna 12m Vector 2014, TTs, Camet 160 and SS Hoverglide

Postby gbrungra » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:49 pm

I vote for board length being proportional to (non-gendered) human height, and board width being proportional to weight.

I was just talking to a very light girl about wake boarding, and she was telling me how much of a difference the right board makes. She couldn't get an edge on a normal board.

So tall, lightweight person: longer, narrower board.

Shorter, heavier person: shorter, wider board.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Postby edt » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:29 pm

what? why do tall people need long boards? explain the physics. If it's just stance then most modern boards offer a large range of stances even on the short boards. maybe if you are fat the short wide board makes you look skinnier on the water and if you are too skinny a longer board can make you look not as skinny? I can accept that. as far as the mechanics are concerned I don't see anything except for weight making a difference.

gbrungra
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Stinky's, San Diego, CA, USA, and Nantucket, MA, USA
Gear: Griffin 17m TRX 2014, Cabrihna 12m Vector 2014, TTs, Camet 160 and SS Hoverglide

Postby gbrungra » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:50 pm

Besides stance, everything else being equal, board size should be roughly scaled to body size.

Consider the extreme examples:
A person is on a board twice their own body height. They will have trouble turning it. I didn't tell you how tall they are. They could be a midget riding my 179cm twin tip...

Same thing in the other direction. Imagine a giant 2++meters riding a small twin tip. Even if you spread the foostraps to achieve desired stance (roughly shoulder width apart) the board is still going to look like a wake skate on him.

So, once we accept board length should be roughly proportional to body height (for a given sea state, riding type, etc, etc) then the only way to adjust how much edge the board gets is the width of the board. Lighter riders can't edge a really wide board. Heavy riders wallow on a narrow board.

Return to “Kitesurfing”