Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2018 Naish Thrust Surf Foil

Forum for kitesurfers
clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,
Brand Affiliation: None

2018 Naish Thrust Surf Foil

Postby clint2070 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:57 am

Does anyone have any input on this ? Seems like all the companies focus on beginner foils or high aspect race foils. I want a surf specific kite foil. I was thinking the 2018 Naish Thrust Surf foil but the mast seems too small. Ill have to spend the extra money on the 70cm mast because the one it comes with will be too short. My 90cm mast was too long. I had to body drag out past the bowl section before I could even get up and when I caught waves I always kick out early worried I was going to hit the sand bar. I figure that once on a wave the foil will do all the work so I can get away with flying a smaller kite. Also with that massive front wing it seems like getting on foil won't take much so a big kite wouldn't be needed. Im a beginner foiler but experienced strapless rider. being on flat water on my foil is driving me nuts. Does this sound like a solid plan or am I an idiot out to waist money ? See link below
http://www.naishfoils.com/thrust-surf/

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Re: 2018 Naish Thrust Surf Foil

Postby slowboat » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:59 pm

Your thinking on this type of foil for kite wave riding seems right on and maybe ahead of where most manufacturers are as they are not (yet) marketing their surf foils towards kiters. If you haven't yet, see Gunnar's comments on the Takuma foil for wave kiting.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,

Postby clint2070 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:49 pm

slowboat wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:59 pm
Your thinking on this type of foil for kite wave riding seems right on and maybe ahead of where most manufacturers are as they are not (yet) marketing their surf foils towards kiters. If you haven't yet, see Gunnar's comments on the Takuma foil for wave kiting.
Thanks.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:52 pm

Honestly you should just pick up a used original LF foil for next to nothing. They are slow enough to surf and sturdy enough to hit sandbars. You can get them for like $300 used now.

If you want a true surf foil get a Zeeko Spitfire LW.

Going with a foil designed to paddle surf wont be ideal with a kite, but it might work better than I think. The Naish foil line is modular so you can mix and match to find something that works for you.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster

Postby clint2070 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:31 am

Slappysan wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:52 pm
Honestly you should just pick up a used original LF foil for next to nothing. They are slow enough to surf and sturdy enough to hit sandbars. You can get them for like $300 used now.

Going with a foil designed to paddle surf wont be ideal with a kite, but it might work better than I think. The Naish foil line is modular so you can mix and match to find something that works for you.
Haha. I just sold my hover 160 which was really the LQ foil. Hope I don't regret it. It's what I learned on. The foil was great the board sucked. It was the easiest foil to learn on. I ordered the spitfire. It comes tomorrow. I really want the Naish thrust too though. The slow rolling surf here at tourmaline would be good for a really low aspect foil. Our wind sucks ! Being able to pump on a wave w out the kite would be killer. Basically just use the kite to get back out and drop in. I hope I don't regret selling the hover 160. Maybe I should have just bought the 70cm mast and a different board.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:48 am

clint2070 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:31 am

Haha. I just sold my hover 160 which was really the LQ foil. Hope I don't regret it. It's what I learned on. The foil was great the board sucked. It was the easiest foil to learn on. I ordered the spitfire. It comes tomorrow. I really want the Naish thrust too though. The slow rolling surf here at tourmaline would be good for a really low aspect foil. Our wind sucks ! Being able to pump on a wave w out the kite would be killer. Basically just use the kite to get back out and drop in. I hope I don't regret selling the hover 160. Maybe I should have just bought the 70cm mast and a different board.
If the rumors are right there is no comparison.
My old foil was fine to ride even small waves, but couldn't handle speed at all. Some of the SUP / kite guys seems to recommend going with SUP / surf foils even for kiting.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:20 am

Slappysan wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:52 pm

Cant agree with the LF comment: too twitchy and the habit of nosing down as speed picks up makes it a challenging ride in surf. If you don't mind riding with more power in the kite, the Double Agent is a better cheap option for surf...

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:46 pm

In terms of the CAB being better than the LF?

Haha! It's a case of what colour do you like best, one is a copy and paste of the other.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster

Postby clint2070 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:11 pm

[/youtube]https://youtu.be/3pFnVIQyDeg
so Why can't I kite with the one lenny is surfing on ?

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire
Has thanked: 0

Postby topmick » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:30 pm

clint2070 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:11 pm
[/youtube]https://youtu.be/3pFnVIQyDeg
so Why can't I kite with the one lenny is surfing on ?
There is no reason why you can't, I have a mate that kites on his Axis 920 SUP foil.
I'm just out of the beginner foiler stage & have decided I'm going to get a prone surfing foil set up, maybe a Naish Comet with a size L thrust foil (70cm mast). Then I can paddle prone/surf or kite in light wind. Will probably sell my bigger Drifters & just keep my 8m.

Return to “Kitesurfing”