Beginner - buy gear or more lessons?

forum for kitesurfers

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Beginner - buy gear or more lessons?

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:16 am

Matteo V wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:22 pm
The OP is asking if anyone has "tried the purple berries". See the link below on why you should ask before you try the purple berries. Here is a hint - learning from someone else is better than trying the purple berries yourself (one of the biggest reasons this forum exists).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0kVbXvId3A
OP : Should I buy more gear or get more lessons?

Forum : Yeah you need to buy more gear even though we still don't know how confident you are on the water. Just buy more gear...

Me : Think for yourself, if you feel confident enough then buy more gear, if you don't feel confident then take more lessons.

I think my answer is the best one yet. Which when you think about it, my answer was not even advice at all, it was more of a matter of normal common sense. Yes thinking for yourself is common sense. Something that you can't figure out why I told him to do...
Matteo V wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:22 pm
LFK - Is it even possible for you to see the irony in that statement when YOU are saying "follow my advice"?
Again, thinking for yourself is not really advice, it's common sense. That's why you never see me posting questions like "What kite should I get?" "What style should I start riding?" "I just got done taking a big shit, should I wipe my ass now???"

Matteo V
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:12 am

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:16 am
I think my answer is the best one yet.
Your best response to this date. Again, you may have a hard time hearing how you come across in your posts. And did you really have to think about it, or was the above statement just a given for you?

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:16 am
"I just got done taking a big shit, should I wipe my ass now???"
Yes! But even though we disagree on many things I would still give the following advice - If at the above point in time, you find yourself in a forest with no bog roll at hand, do not use the "3 leafed viney looking plant leaves" to wipe with. There is no need to learn the hard way when advice can prevent some unnecessary pain and learning by experience - the hard way. Again, we are here giving advice to help others see things from a different point of view. But most importantly, we give advice and share our experiences to hopefully prevent other kiters from making avoidable mistakes.

And I still feel you are failing to grasp the concept of a "self-refuting argument". If your advice to the OP is to "not listen to advice here on this forum", how can they listen to your advice without you making an exception for yourself? If your advice is taken, to not take advice, than the OP cannot take your advice. I am curious as to your explanation of the mental gymnastics that you use to cognitively reconcile this. That still remains, as the unanswered question.

iblocalsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Imperial Beach
Favorite Beaches: For kiting: Imperial Beach, Raul's, San Quintin, Strand, Pico
For Surfing: Imperial Beach, Baja Norte
Style: surf
Gear: Blade, North, Liquid Force
Firewire

Postby iblocalsurfer » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:05 am

jocol wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:51 pm
Hey,

I finished recently a 5 lesson course (3 lessons in group + 2 private).

Right now I good at controlling the kite, I can waterstart 100% to the left, but still need to improve to the right ( dont ask me why, I dont undertand why is so easy to the left but difficult to the right :lol: is this normal?) Also I need to correct my position a little bit and I am also starting doing transitions.
Still need to improve transitions and start upwind riding to have all the basics.
Something that still happens quite often is falling, need to body drag upwind to get the board, crashing the kite on the water, and of course walk back in the beach to the starting point.
As you can see, I still have a lot to learn. But in my last lesson I noticed that what I was doing there with the instructor, I can do it alone by myself. Of course is good to have someone telling you what I should do and change, and to have someone that makes you feel safer.

So my question is: am I in a point where I can go kite alone and fail a learn a lot by myself, or should I take more lessons to learn and improve?

Thanks
Go buy a case of beer and make some friends at your local. Let them know where you are at and would appreciate any advice they can give you including a good/safe place for you to practice. Also, you ever thought about putting that money towards a vacation or road trip that has some beginner friendly spots? Sounds like you just need a solid week of kiting in good conditions. Good luck to you. :thumb:

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:05 am

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:12 am
Yes! But even though we disagree on many things I would still give the following advice - If at the above point in time, you find yourself in a forest with no bog roll at hand, do not use the "3 leafed viney looking plant leaves" to wipe with. There is no need to learn the hard way when advice can prevent some unnecessary pain and learning by experience

Couldn't you tell just from looking at it that it wouldn't be a good idea to wipe with? Ok whatever....
Matteo V wrote:
And I still feel you are failing to grasp the concept of a "self-refuting argument". If your advice to the OP is to "not listen to advice here on this forum", how can they listen to your advice without you making an exception for yourself? If your advice is taken, to not take advice, than the OP cannot take your advice. I am curious as to your explanation of the mental gymnastics that you use to cognitively reconcile this. That still remains, as the unanswered question.
Well if he's not listening to me then he is heeding my advice and not listening to me. And if he listens to me, then he is also heeding my advice by thinking for himself. I don't get why that is too hard for you to comprehend, whatever the OP decides to do, he will be listening to me weather he likes it or not 8)

Matteo V
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:51 am

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:05 am
Matteo V wrote:
Yes! But even though we disagree on many things I would still give the following advice - If at the above point in time, you find yourself in a forest with no bog roll at hand, do not use the "3 leafed viney looking plant leaves" to wipe with. There is no need to learn the hard way when advice can prevent some unnecessary pain and learning by experience

Couldn't you tell just from looking at it that it wouldn't be a good idea to wipe with? Ok whatever....
Nope. That is the point, and you have missed it. I don't want to go on, but look up instinctual vs. learned behavior, and how humans do not have an instinctual aversion to most irritation causing plants. LFK, you could say that your were born with a botanical instinct for skin rash causing plants. You could be a superhero with some catchy botany/poo wiper reference name. Plant wipe man. Urishiolphobic bog roll man. The broad leafed weed pick-wiper.

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:05 am

Well if he's not listening to me then he is heeding my advice and not listening to me. And if he listens to me, then he is also heeding my advice by thinking for himself. I don't get why that is too hard for you to comprehend, whatever the OP decides to do, he will be listening to me weather he likes it or not 8)
HERE IT IS!!!! The true zen of LFK! Read the above a few times and carefully examine it. All other conscious distraction will fade from your mind as your brain hits the reset button.

Return to “Kitesurfing”