forum for kitesurfers

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton

Re: Airstyle - The Next Level - Toby Braeuer

Postby edt » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:12 am

Risk is over rated. We lost the greatest race driver to ever have lived in Ayrton Senna back in 1994 for no other reason that the F1 committee figured that it was ok if race car drivers risked their lives every time they got on the track. Senna best friend Ratzenberger died after this one particular curve the previous day well, Senna threw a fit said it was too dangerous to race that corner, but the race organizers figured risk is fine, go race. The next day Senna died at that same corner. A huge loss to racing. Well, there you go. Plenty of risk. It's stupid. F1 cleaned up their act, made proper run offs, safer courses, safer cars. F1 cars still crash and it's exiting when they do but race car drivers no longer die like they used to. Risk for the sake of risk is dumb. Excitement is what you want. Excitement with the least amount of risk, that's why we kiteboard after all. If you just wanted a sport that was pure excitement and plenty of risk we would all go out and become wingsuit flyers. If you want to say that watching someone do a board off is not exciting for you sure that's a fine opinion to have, board offs don't do much for me anymore, but to say it's no good because there's no risk, I think is just silly.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle and Airstyle
Gear: Liquid Force NRG, FS Speed 4 Lotus, Pansh Aurora II,
RRD Poison, Axis Ltd, RRD BS45, SS Glide, SS Ankle Biter
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:55 am

Following up on edt's comments, "risk" means different things to different people. Kiteboarding can entail "risk" without your having to put your life (or a broken back, etc.) on the line. Toby's tricks involve "risk". It may not be "risk" of the same magnitude of some pro mega-loop style riders, but there is still "risk" involved in his tricks. The possibility of concussion, broken ankle, or just major crashes (on water or land).....all of those are risks to Toby's riding style, IMHO. The beauty of any kiteboarding trick is landing it notwithstanding the possibility of a crash. The potential crash doesn't have to be life-threatening for the trick to be exciting for both rider and spectator.

alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: wave
Gear: blade

Postby alfredo68 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:57 am

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: None, not even lawnmower.
Gear: Wipika Freeair 8.5 2 liner and Picklefork.
Brand Affiliation: iansmusic.com - free music for your kite videos

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:46 am

1 minute quick edit attempt for mass appeal

just a bit of fun editing more in todays marketing style..

phpBB [video]
Last edited by longwhitecloud on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:01 am

Do-it wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:25 am
Risk=reward......plus, if you are not risking anything, then you are not pushing yourself enough, therefore you are not really moving improving your skill....just floating with the current. I think you're good at what you do toby, but you've been doing the same shit for waaay to long to not be good at it. I'm great at jerking off.....but I'd rather be fucking a woman.
Hmm, here is what Dimitri says:

"When I landed my kite I was in a lot of pain and I had a hard time walking. People asked me what was wrong, and I explained that I'm pretty sure I broke one of my ribs. The pain was in front high up and also through to my back. One of the doctors that was riding decided to take me to the hospital for some X-rays. After spending 2 hrs at the hospital the doctor couldn't find a broken rib but told me that my cartilage was broken and there is nothing I can do except rest. I told him that this was my 6th time damaging my ribs. "

I can't see myself doing this sport after 6 times breaking the rib.

Do-it, let us know after 5th time when you'll be like 45-47yo.

mbs
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: Kites and boards

Postby mbs » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:10 am

Amazing tricks. The riding is so smooth, and in my opinion your riding style is the most incredible to watch of any of the styles.

But, I would offer this critique... For all the smoothness and style present in your riding, the video is really lacking style. Counting and numbering your tricks, explaining the tricks with a close up head shot narration, that's probabaly where you lose the mass appeal. Seeing what you do is incredible, the way you talk about in my opinion seems a little lame.

I guess at 45 yrs old you may not be so interested in cultivating a cool image. But, if you are interested in seeing your air style go mainstream, you probably need to seek the advice of a 25 year old who knows a little more about marketing, image, and style. In my opinion it would be better off to let the tricks speak for themselves, your explanation severely lowers the cool factor.

Windstoked
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Thermalito Afterbay and Sherman Island, California
Gear: Slingshot

Postby Windstoked » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:17 am

mbs wrote: ...But, I would offer this critique... For all the smoothness and style present in your riding, the video is really lacking style...
I think Toby would agree with that, for his intention is not to impress us with little add-on stylistics and gimmicks that we've all seen at our local beach or in competitions that can make even basic moves seem impressive to the unsophisticated kiter or people that know nothing of the sport. One could add a lot more style just by being a beautiful lady doing that.
Toby's style is rigorous and exacting because he is exploring new territory and setting the standard for what is possible in the realm of kiteboarding tricks. Some criticize it as too mechanical, but those willing to follow his lead can add their own style and theatrics to keep the crowd entertained, and I'm sure he would be the first to applaud that.
I believe that a combination like that which also includes a smattering of other styles has the best potential for entertainment of the general public and is something that could even catch and hold the attention of non-kiters to a degree that it could become a mainstream-televised sporting event.
Last edited by Windstoked on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:25 am

ShaveTheWhales wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:16 am
Hey Toby,
Just out of curiousity - when learning kick flips, did you trash your shins a few times..
One of my friends said he nearly knocked himself out when the wind blew it back at him lol
No, never. My right arm is protecting me. Few closer calls, but could always block it...like a boxer.

And the kick goes not right in front of you...it's a bit to the side. Like a clock: instead 6-12 you kick 5-2.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:50 am

Sure, it can have all different kind of cutting and presentations.

Here the reasons why I did it the way I did:
- I am showing landings because I see others cutting it where I know they didn't land it proper...I want to show that I do.
- with the interview I kept it low light and not fancy, because the tricks are important, not me.
- the explanations are important so my fans understand what new and how it works. This video is for Airstyle fans not TV
- I am better at Kiting than doing movies...cannot do all ;-)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:54 am

Yeah windstoked, so much more possible !
And I get inspired by others doing their thing...and can't wait until the kids pull the megaloop boardoffs...I have one trick in mind I want to see...this will be the most amazing trick this sport can offer!
Still waiting...hopefully one day

But those with critics about my smoothness and less risk, who don't you go ahead and show us the megaloop board offs instead of just talking cheap?
I will be your fan, how about it?

Looking forward to your videos!

Return to “Kitesurfing”