forum for kitesurfers

ral
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

travelling : split board?

Postby ral » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:53 am

Hi
I'm due to spend three weeks traveling around Indonesia in September. Trip will be with my girlfriend and is not primarily a kite trip. Girlfriend doesn't kite but we will probably pass through a few kiteable places. I have a dakine 135 travel bag I normally travel with. This can be pain to move around, and we plan to be on the move quite a bit. Renting is an option but we may not be near rental schools and prices look quite expensive.

Has anyone travelled with one of the split board options, and maybe just a single kite, I'm thinking of just taking my 11m. This should be smaller and lighter but is the weight gain worth it and does the bag actually turn out much smaller and easier to carry? I'm wondering if it's a false economy and whether to just suck up carrying the 135 dakine bag around.

Any tips on good Indonesian spots in sept also appreciated. Looks like we'll be flying into Jakarta then heading east. I've seen lakey peaks and the Bali spots but we're looking to head further north east to some of the smaller islands. Hence why I'd like to take my own equipment.

Thanks!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: travelling : split board?

Postby Toby » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:29 am

A friend of mine recently got a Splitboard from Flysurfer.

We packed all his gear (just an 18 sqm kite) into one smaller bag, about 20-23 kg.

Excellent !

Definitely go for it, will save you quiet some Mahoney and hassle.

For spots in the area go here: http://se.kiteforum.com/spots

Have a great trip! And please add new spots, updates info and pictures to the database!

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Boracay, Philippines/ Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya, Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:48 am

I travelled to Egypt, Sri lanka, Thailand and back to egypt with one suitcase that had a nobile 134 nhp split, 13m xbow, bar, wetsuit, harness and clothing. splitboard is the best investment for travel.

Adventure Logs
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: The world
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer Physco 4, Speed 4 Lotus, Sonic 2
Nobile T5
Nobile Split Foil, Carbon Split
Slightshot hoverglide
Flysurfer Flysplit M, L
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:40 pm

I bought a Flysplit L when they first came out and now all my boards are split(FS and Nobile). You are going to have a hard time picking up a used one because they are so good. My recommendation is get a brand with the W connector. The ease is well worth the little extra.

Return to “Kitesurfing”