Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Slingshot kite woes

Postby letsgoflyakite » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:05 pm

After changing rope on Compstick Guardian bar, I dropped the rope cover plate into the shingle never to be seen again. After contacting TKC (uk importer), and waiting 1 1/2 weeks for a reply, they neither have, nor will order the part. I now have a £350.00 bar that I can't use because of a 5$ part. Anyone else think this service is a bit of a let down ?

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Re: Slingshot kite woes

Postby Matteo V » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:43 pm

Yep, that is BS! If you sell world wide, your customers should get parts world wide.

Check with the Slingshot website and see if you can get it direct. Local importers/distributors are not Slingshot. They are a company skimming some money off the top for just handling the kites. So do not associate your issue with the brand.

I once had to get around the US Distributor (who told me to FO) for an Ozone part back in 2010 and I eventually contacted Ozone directly. When Ozone (in the EU) said they could not get me the part, I switched kite brands and they lost a customer. So if Slingshot will not make it right, time to move on.

But Slingshot is not known for this issue. Switch and Slingshot are known in the US for having parts availability pretty much instantly.

And as a challenge to Slingshot, they need to post here that they are actively working to remedy any supply problems with an importer that just told one of their customers to FO.

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster

Postby letsgoflyakite » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:16 pm

I've used Slingshot kit since 2002, and never really had any problems, and not bashing them. I can't get part from UK, and on their website Slingshot list it, but don't sell direct. So I'm in a bit of a corner.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:34 pm

letsgoflyakite wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:05 pm
After changing rope on Compstick Guardian bar, I dropped the rope cover plate into the shingle never to be seen again. After contacting TKC (uk importer), and waiting 1 1/2 weeks for a reply, they neither have, nor will order the part. I now have a £350.00 bar that I can't use because of a 5$ part. Anyone else think this service is a bit of a let down ?
Call http://www.kitesurfing-shop.co.uk they might be able to help you out.

In any case, what's a "rope cover plate"? I use Sentinel bars.

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster

Postby letsgoflyakite » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:01 pm

I've already contacted Kitemare, but thanks. It's a current guardian bar. One side is cleat, the other side this plate holds rope.
http://www.slingshotsports.com/s.nl/it. ... aSDiNHTWhA
Part no 14383003

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:14 pm

Looks like a pretty simple part. Is the underside grooved or something?

And it let me put the part in my basket showing 5 available. I am sure you do not want to wait, or pay for international shipping, so I still feel for you. But make sure you let Slingshot know about the poor customer service you received from the importer. It is Slingshot's job to make it right if the next guy down the line drops the ball.

Again, if no adequate resolution is reached, move on to another brand and let everybody know about it.

To get you on the water, do you know anyone with home machining equipment. Looks simple to make. Since you have the hole distance on center in the cleat, then you should be able to scale off that picture and check fit on your part.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:21 pm

letsgoflyakite wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:01 pm
I've already contacted Kitemare, but thanks. It's a current guardian bar. One side is cleat, the other side this plate holds rope.
http://www.slingshotsports.com/s.nl/it. ... aSDiNHTWhA
Part no 14383003
Is there any purpose to the lower groove at the bottom of the plate in the picture? If a flat stainless plate would do it would be pretty easy to make another one.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:13 am

iriejohn wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:21 pm

Is there any purpose to the lower groove at the bottom of the plate in the picture? If a flat stainless plate would do it would be pretty easy to make another one.
A Dremmel tool is the most useful too to a hack machinist. It could easily do the grove pictured. Just make sure you practice on a sacrificial piece first.

Come on Slingy! Lets not let this thread drag on like this. Post that you are taking care of this guy and getting him back on the water!

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:18 am

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:13 am
iriejohn wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:21 pm

A Dremmel tool is the most useful too to a hack machinist. It could easily do the grove pictured. Just make sure you practice on a sacrificial piece first.
Teaching your grandmother ... and all that. lol

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster

Postby letsgoflyakite » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:43 pm

I tried a flat plate but it was limited. The back of the plate is hollow, so the sides stop the rope bulging out sideways. If it did bulge, it would impede the movent of the QR box. Under the countersink, it also has a depth of a couple mm, it looks like two circles, one of which sits inside rope loop. This allows the screws to sit below plate. This is a QR, which I really only use when the * hits the fan. I don't want my home made bodge to compromise my safety for the sake a 5$ part. I will just add, I don't have a problem with Slingshot, their kit didn't fail, it was me losing the part.

Return to “Kitesurfing”