Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Where to find a cheap front line Y-split which allows one line to slide for safety?

forum for kitesurfers

faklord
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Where to find a cheap front line Y-split which allows one line to slide for safety?

Postby faklord » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:37 am

evan wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:13 am
I see that metal ring of the Kite Attitude bar wearing out the line pretty quickly, especially when you hit your quick release quite often or don't clean all the sand off
Like the simplicity. I'm not sure wear would be much more of an issue on the KA ring than other systems, so long as the welds are clean and polished.
At least with this setup it is easy to inspect & clean the part of line in question, rather than it being hidden in a ball or custom splitter.

A couple of points for anybody thinking about retofitting:
1) In the picture the flagging line is spliced whereas all the other are sleeved & stitched. Guess a sleeved line won't run through the gap smoothly. So you may need to change you line terminations.
2) Personal experience, using homebrew nylon blocks & also stopper balls with various different line types, has shown the hole diameter is critical. I.e. There is a very small range of hole size that will allow the line to slide through freely whilst also blocking the knot under high tension (this is definitely worth testing with at least all your body weight). As previously noted, it is easy to adjust (drill out) a plastic ball. This can't be done with the kite attitude ring.
Last edited by faklord on Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko foil
GK Trix
Enduro9
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Re: Where to find a cheap front line Y-split which allows one line to slide for safety?

Postby bragnouff » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:53 am

evan wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:13 am
I see that metal ring of the Kite Attitude bar wearing out the line pretty quickly, especially when you hit your quick release quite often or don't clean all the sand off
Only time will tell, for sure, but being a ring, there is no sharp edge for the line to wear out much from it, probably less than if it was going through a bigger plastic hole, becoming more and more abrasive over time.
Note also that while spliced lines are better, the sliding front line can still be sleeved, and the system would still work. But would need a bit of care for the re-ride, to make sure the whole sleeve is back through the slot before re-powering the lot (hence why a low Y is typically preferable). A thin piece of heatshrink would help keep the sleeve end neat.
In any case, the good thing is that any wear would be visible, quick and easy to inspect, and easy to maintain.

Return to “Kitesurfing”